prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Belts and Dates
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:05 pm 

Of course the reasons I go to local speed shop are several... these guys are good guys; we need someone doing it locally; I can buy SFI belt about 70 bucks for 5 pt. system from them....cheaper than online...; and I have over 7 cars to buy belts (and more)...so 2 vs 5 yrs. is a big factor, all stay inside except when raced...... changing belts on some is very involved, requiring seats/more to be removed... less frequency, the better.

Deal is/was earlier suppliers worked with date made...now, not... guess now covered in GCR with date ended.... are we going back to 2 yrs once more...only on some suppliers....did something really change? And how can you go past the end date (to Dec of that year) when mfgr. labels it otherwise... leaving open to all that legal issues anyway.. why stop with extended 11 months on some?

On those with 6 pts/cam lock, I found Paul at Race Parts (Road Atl.) got me some FIA belts made by TRS in UK...those were less than half the cost for comparable Williams set.. quality was great... just not what I want to use with the prod cars... too tough to get all stuff latched up with hans, without a crew......latch/link much easier...

So,......from what I hear here...we're once again stuck with the SFI setting end date, even though SCCA changed earlier....quality of items isn't changed....one hopes... hmmm...

Thanks for the discussion... Check Paul if wanting to find another quality source...

Bob L.

Post subject: Re: Belts and Dates
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:43 am 

Elva wrote:
Of course the reasons I go to local speed shop are several...

I would love to have a decent speed shop within a reasonable driving distance of my house. Houston is a HUGE city and there are several speed shops, but all are on the opposite side of town (aside from MSR Houston itself, which is ~10min away), so it's a +hr drive to get to them and they mostly cater to dirt or drag guys. friendly folks, but when I ask about test fitting road racing seats and whatnot, their eyes glaze over "Oh you're one of them guys... yeah, c'mon back, we've got two or three seats upstairs you can try"

STU Nissan 240SX