prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Belts and Dates
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:31 pm 

Was up at speed shop the other day, looked at current SFI latch/link belts. Instead of having the date of MFGR, they now show "Last date to use". That was about 2 yrs from then.

Speed shop guys said NHRA only allows 2 yrs from mfgr'd date (assume following SFI dictates). So Mfgr. has started putting end date on belts to avoid confusion at tech... that date, and no longer...

Of course SCCA went thru all that SFI stuff with 2 yr. belts a few years ago, only to have it backed down to previous (and reasonable) 5 yrs after year of mfgr. (ends Dec. of 5 yrs aniv...as I last recall, GCR...perhaps different, now?)

My questions:

How is SCCA going to address this change by mfgrs? Will be forced back to the 2 yr (or less) belt life. How will they know DATE mfgr'd. if not put on belts? Will we just add 3 yrs to end date, or something like that? Who is working on this at "home office" or comp board?

Personally, believe not a current issue, but figured others might be different situation... have interest, or knowledge of how issue is being handled.

Thus, I took fingers to keys, posted...

Thanks.

Okie

Post subject: Re: Belts and Dates
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:07 pm 

I just had my cam-lock belts redone by Crow Enterprises last month. They not only have the "valid until" date on there, but also the date of manufacture. They explained to me that it was done that way to satisfy the regulations of the different sanctioning bodies. I can't answer for how other manufacturers label their belts.

Craig

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:53 am 

E. All driver restraint systems shall meet one of the following: SFI specification 16.1, 16.5, or FIA specification
8853/98, 8853-2016 or 8854/98.
1. Restraint systems meeting SFI 16.1 or 16.5 shall bear a dated SFI Spec label. The certification
indicated by this label shall expire on December 31st of the 5th year after the date of manufacture
as indicated by the label. If for example the manufacture date is 2014 the fifth year after the date
of manufacture is 2019. SFI labels, with expiration dates, expire on December 31st of the labeled
expiration date.
2. Restraint systems homologated to FIA specification 8853/98 and 8854/98 will have a label
containing the type of harness designation (‘C-###.T/98 or D-###.T/98) and date of expiration
which is the last day of the year marked. All straps in this FIA restraint system will have these
labels.
3. If a restraint system has more than one type of certification label, the label with the latest expiration
may be used.

V8 Road Racing Series Administrator
Runoffs Line Chief Tech Prod cars

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:15 am 

Yeah, this has already been dealt with, by the added working in the GCR that "SFI labels, with expiration dates, expire on December 31st of the labeled expiration date." Basically, the SFI didn't like that sanctioning bodies were declaring their own "expiration" periods after the SFI's previous "born on date" tags, as that didn't make them enough money. So the SFI changed all their labels to "expiration date" tags, essentially forcing all of the sanctioning bodies to adopt that date because "lawyers", and generate SFI 2.5x as much revenue, by everyone with SFI belts now having to replace their belts every 2 years instead of every 5 years.

So what's the solution for us? Give a giant middle finger to the SFI, and buy FIA belts instead, which have an expiration tag that's 5 years after manufacture, and are often the same price as comparable SFI belts.

ruckracing honda's:
'15 & '10 Runoffs FP Champion
'10, '09, & '08 ARRC ITA/ITB Champion

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:29 am 

kruck wrote:
Yeah, this has already been dealt with, by the added working in the GCR that "SFI labels, with expiration dates, expire on December 31st of the labeled expiration date." Basically, the SFI didn't like that sanctioning bodies were declaring their own "expiration" periods after the SFI's previous "born on date" tags, as that didn't make them enough money. So the SFI changed all their labels to "expiration date" tags, essentially forcing all of the sanctioning bodies to adopt that date because "lawyers", and generate SFI 2.5x as much revenue, by everyone with SFI belts now having to replace their belts every 2 years instead of every 5 years.

So what's the solution for us? Give a giant middle finger to the SFI, and buy FIA belts instead, which have an expiration tag that's 5 years after manufacture, and are often the same price as comparable SFI belts.

This is exactly what I've done. I'll never buy another SFI belt as long as I have an option.

STU Nissan 240SX

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:58 am 

Stop buying SFI belts, problem solved.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:07 am 

Recently picked up one of these FIA harnesses for an autox/track day car: http://shop.racequip.com/c/camlock-harn ... ia-camlock

And found its every bit as nice as the much more expensive Schroth units we have been using in our road race cars.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:35 pm 

Thanks for that. I had been using the Schroth ones for a while, then got a deal on an OMP harness from a guy that didn't like the adjusters and sold it cheap. I didn't like the adjusters either but made it work. that one expired Dec 2018, so now it's time to buy a new one before next race.. I was about to order another Schroth, but will take a look at the Racequip.

STU Nissan 240SX

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:08 pm 

Matt93SE wrote:
Thanks for that. I had been using the Schroth ones for a while, then got a deal on an OMP harness from a guy that didn't like the adjusters and sold it cheap. I didn't like the adjusters either but made it work. that one expired Dec 2018, so now it's time to buy a new one before next race.. I was about to order another Schroth, but will take a look at the Racequip.

The Racequip adjusters are very nice, and the thumb loop on the ends of the belts are great.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:29 pm 

Agreed, I have been using Racequip in my cars and customer cars for almost 10 years. They are nice pieces and they come as FIA versions.