prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Door hinges
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:21 am
Posts: 12
I am putting an MGB together to run in FP. I have not run a Prod car since the early 80's. I was reading the rules, and it says that the original door hinges must be operational. Is everyone running their doors mounted to the original hinges?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Door hinges
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:47 am
Posts: 349
jacko241 wrote:
I am putting an MGB together to run in FP. I have not run a Prod car since the early 80's. I was reading the rules, and it says that the original door hinges must be operational. Is everyone running their doors mounted to the original hinges?


Mine are

_________________
Les Chaney
Integra FP #33


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Door hinges
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2002 7:32 am
Posts: 2640
Location: DeWitt, MI
jacko241 wrote:
I am putting an MGB together to run in FP. I have not run a Prod car since the early 80's. I was reading the rules, and it says that the original door hinges must be operational. Is everyone running their doors mounted to the original hinges?


Mine too.....they’re using the original hinges but the doors have been hollowed out so they’re basically the skins and the outer skeleton. Latches, etc. all removed.

Dayle

_________________
Dayle Frame (259138)
-------------------------------
Nat Comp & Div F&C, WMR Comp Manager


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Door hinges
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:21 am
Posts: 12
Ok, thanks. The doors on my car are hollowed out, too. The stock hinges just seem like overkill.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Door hinges
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:37 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2002 10:34 am
Posts: 2847
Location: Wauwatosa, WI
jacko241 wrote:
Ok, thanks. The doors on my car are hollowed out, too. The stock hinges just seem like overkill.


Only way to change is, lighten the hinges to the maximum. Sometimes we need to play the game to the maximum.

_________________
Have Fun ; )

David Dewhurst
CenDiv Milwaukee Region
F Prod #14


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Door hinges
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:54 am
Posts: 1804
What they said. The *hinges* must be operational, but that doesn't mean the door has to actually open. I know many Prod cars that have the door skin pinned/welded shut, but the skin is still attached at the front via the door hinges.

my RX7 doors are pretty much nothing but the outer skin, front edge where the hinges attach, and the lightened hinges themselves.

_________________
Matt Blehm
Houston Region
EP 1st Gen RX7
STU Nissan 240SX


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Door hinges
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:21 am
Posts: 12
Thanks so much guys. I have a good idea what to do now.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Door hinges
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:08 am
Posts: 619
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Hinge rule is my fault. Originally, it said car must have original door hinges. Well, the door hinges on my Turner 950 S were made of brass and must have weighed a couple of pounds each. So, we took them and put them under the car at the right rear where we needed some weight. Tech did not see the humor and vowed to fix the rule. The doors weighed just over three pounds each and were held on by four aluminum studs and pins. Loved those cars. It would now make a killer limited prep HP car. But, all three went vintage.

_________________
Jim Creighton
CARS Tour DoR
SEDiv SARRC Administrator
V8 Road Racing Series Administrator
Runoffs Line Chief Tech Prod cars


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Door hinges
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:21 am
Posts: 1148
Quote:
Stock door hinges must be retained and mounted in their stock location. Door hinges must be functional but can be lightened. Doors must be securely fastened closed, provided they can be opened or removed quickly in an emergency situation.

I'd say welding doors is a strict no-no, unless you carry a plasma cutter around ;)

Ah Prod category. I will not miss you. One mans "grey area" is just clearly illegal to anyone who can read.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Door hinges
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:39 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:21 am
Posts: 12
FP Racer wrote:
Hinge rule is my fault. Originally, it said car must have original door hinges. Well, the door hinges on my Turner 950 S were made of brass and must have weighed a couple of pounds each. So, we took them and put them under the car at the right rear where we needed some weight. Tech did not see the humor and vowed to fix the rule. The doors weighed just over three pounds each and were held on by four aluminum studs and pins. Loved those cars. It would now make a killer limited prep HP car. But, all three went vintage.

HaHa, now that is awesome!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group