prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Door hinges
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:32 pm 

I am putting an MGB together to run in FP. I have not run a Prod car since the early 80's. I was reading the rules, and it says that the original door hinges must be operational. Is everyone running their doors mounted to the original hinges?

Post subject: Re: Door hinges
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:47 pm 

jacko241 wrote:
I am putting an MGB together to run in FP. I have not run a Prod car since the early 80's. I was reading the rules, and it says that the original door hinges must be operational. Is everyone running their doors mounted to the original hinges?

Mine are

Integra FP #33

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:03 pm 

jacko241 wrote:

Mine too.....they’re using the original hinges but the doors have been hollowed out so they’re basically the skins and the outer skeleton. Latches, etc. all removed.

Dayle

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:55 am 

Ok, thanks. The doors on my car are hollowed out, too. The stock hinges just seem like overkill.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:37 am 

jacko241 wrote:
Ok, thanks. The doors on my car are hollowed out, too. The stock hinges just seem like overkill.

Only way to change is, lighten the hinges to the maximum. Sometimes we need to play the game to the maximum.

David Dewhurst
CenDiv Milwaukee Region
F Prod #14

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:34 pm 

What they said. The *hinges* must be operational, but that doesn't mean the door has to actually open. I know many Prod cars that have the door skin pinned/welded shut, but the skin is still attached at the front via the door hinges.

my RX7 doors are pretty much nothing but the outer skin, front edge where the hinges attach, and the lightened hinges themselves.

STU Nissan 240SX

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:55 am 

Thanks so much guys. I have a good idea what to do now.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:00 am 

Hinge rule is my fault. Originally, it said car must have original door hinges. Well, the door hinges on my Turner 950 S were made of brass and must have weighed a couple of pounds each. So, we took them and put them under the car at the right rear where we needed some weight. Tech did not see the humor and vowed to fix the rule. The doors weighed just over three pounds each and were held on by four aluminum studs and pins. Loved those cars. It would now make a killer limited prep HP car. But, all three went vintage.

V8 Road Racing Series Administrator
Runoffs Line Chief Tech Prod cars

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:20 am 

Quote:
Stock door hinges must be retained and mounted in their stock location. Door hinges must be functional but can be lightened. Doors must be securely fastened closed, provided they can be opened or removed quickly in an emergency situation.

I'd say welding doors is a strict no-no, unless you carry a plasma cutter around ;)

Ah Prod category. I will not miss you. One mans "grey area" is just clearly illegal to anyone who can read.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:39 am 

FP Racer wrote:
Hinge rule is my fault. Originally, it said car must have original door hinges. Well, the door hinges on my Turner 950 S were made of brass and must have weighed a couple of pounds each. So, we took them and put them under the car at the right rear where we needed some weight. Tech did not see the humor and vowed to fix the rule. The doors weighed just over three pounds each and were held on by four aluminum studs and pins. Loved those cars. It would now make a killer limited prep HP car. But, all three went vintage.

HaHa, now that is awesome!