prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Brake Duct Screens
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:44 am 

Thanks again everyone for the input. I've also made contact with Aaron and he's been a big help. Hopefully, I can get this car on track this fall.

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:52 am 

David Dewhurst wrote:
i. Brake Ducting
1. Brake air ducts can be fitted.
2. The front brake duct inlet(s) must not extend to the side beyond the centerlines of the front
wheels, or forward of the forward most part of the front of the body or front air dam.

Duct, screen, attaching apparatus in my mind all become part of the duct and SHALL be behind a plumb bob dropped from the outermost contour of the body. With the radiator screen rule update, didn't aero become part of the issue. Can you post a picture, likely some positive thoughts will flow. :think:

I have to disagree with your interpretation if I understand it. The air dam / splitter rule is a "Plumb bob" issue because it references:

Quote:
shall not protrude beyond the overall outline of the body when viewed
from above,

But the brake duct rule as quoted just says that it may not extend forward of the forward most part of the body, ie viewed from the side cannot be the frontmost part. The brake duct can be ahead of what's above it, just can't be ahead of everything.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:46 am 

Al, I must admit, I don't have a clue what your trying to say.

The rule is pretty clear, shall be behind the outline of the body.

9. A front spoiler/air-dam can be fitted to the front of the car.
A. The spoiler/air-dam shall not protrude beyond the overall outline of the body when viewed
from above, perpendicular to the ground, or aft of the forward most part of the front
fender wheel opening.

i. Brake Ducting
1. Brake air ducts can be fitted.
2. The front brake duct inlet(s) must not extend to the side beyond the centerlines of the front
wheels, or forward of the forward most part of the front of the body or front air dam.

I'll guess, "or front air dam" is an addition to the duct rule. I'll suggest that if the air dam on the #71 car posted earlier is in a vertical line with the outline of the body and if the rivet heads from the screen/duct are in front of said vertical line, that is an illegal issue.

David Dewhurst
CenDiv Milwaukee Region
F Prod #14

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:20 am 

The air dam rule says - in effect - that you should not be able to see the air dam from directly above. So Jim Creighton slides his trusty plumb bob around the perimeter of the bumper etc and it can't hit the air dam.

The brake duct rule is worded differently. I interpret it as saying that the brake ducts can't be the forwardmost part of the car. So on a car like the Honda that has the bumper at car centerline furthest forward, you could park the car with the center of the front bumper touching a wall. As long as the brake ducts did not hit the wall first, you'd be good. Does not matter if you can see them from above assuming that they are off to the sides.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:37 am 

WOW, I'll not even comment, because I'm sure Jim will come along shortly.

There was a pi$$ing match a few weeks ago about tow hooks protruding beyond the outline of the body because the tow hooks could do damage to another car. Yup, along comes Johnny with steel brake ducts that didn't hit the flat wall first but did protrude beyond the outline of the body on both sides of the car. Hmmm, me not think those steel brake ducts pass the smell test.

David Dewhurst
CenDiv Milwaukee Region
F Prod #14

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:11 pm 

Not sure why the "WOW", just discussing a rules interpretation..

A. As I hope is obvious, the reference to Jim and a plumb bob was meant whimsically not disrespectfully.

B. I'm interpreting the rules as written, not advocating for what they should say.

C. I've seen cut-from-plate tow rings that would readily cut off a leg or slice up any exterior part of a car. Tow attachments by their nature have to be strong. Brake ducts tend to be light and fairly flimsy, mine are sheet aluminum and many are plastic. Not battering ram material.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:43 pm 

Al Seim wrote:
Not sure why the "WOW", just discussing a rules interpretation..

WOW, to your interpretation of the rule. All said with a :). If I wanted to be a dick I'd respond with :hand:

David Dewhurst
CenDiv Milwaukee Region
F Prod #14

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:02 pm 

Understood! :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:08 pm 

I was getting ready to redo these ones

but now you guys got me scratching my head

I even have some of this stuff

https://www.amazon.com/Amaco-WireForm-M ... B004LU924U

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:25 pm 

So silly question, Why does anyone want screens over the brake ducts? isn't wire screen going to reduce airflow through the duct?

Joe Harlan Member #175515

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next