prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Brake Duct Screens
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:07 am 

What's the feeling on the legality of flat screens over the brake duct openings? On my car these are on the flat part of the bumper cover and would end up being sticking a few mm past the nose of the replica bumper cover so wouldn't pass a plumb bob test. I know what happened with the ruling on the radiator screens and I'm guessing this would also not be allowed but I can't find specific wording on this in the PCR regarding brake duct screens. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Brake Duct Screens
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:18 am 

Methinks someone would have to be really hard up to protest something like that..

STU Nissan 240SX

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:43 am 

Matt93SE wrote:
Methinks someone would have to be really hard up to protest something like that..

Welcome to the SCCA, you must be new here? :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:50 am 

Brett W wrote:

Welcome to the SCCA, you must be new here? :lol:

Oh come on - you know how this works. Someone would need to go onto the message forums and complain about it for at least 6 months before a protest would even be thought of...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:40 am 

DatsunDoc wrote:
What's the feeling on the legality of flat screens over the brake duct openings? On my car these are on the flat part of the bumper cover and would end up being sticking a few mm past the nose of the replica bumper cover so wouldn't pass a plumb bob test. I know what happened with the ruling on the radiator screens and I'm guessing this would also not be allowed but I can't find specific wording on this in the PCR regarding brake duct screens. Thanks.

Why cant you sandwich them between the duct and whatever you are mounting them to?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:55 pm 

Jason@SportsCar wrote:
DatsunDoc wrote:

Why cant you sandwich them between the duct and whatever you are mounting them to?

In this case there isn't a flat surface behind the bumper cover. It's more like a funnel inside a funnel. I can make a funnel shaped screen and insert it but the flat surface would be nice as it's easier to clean off.

So is thought that the screen on the outside of the cover over the brake duct opening is illegal?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:31 pm 

Jason@SportsCar wrote:
DatsunDoc wrote:

bingo...

Joe Harlan Member #175515

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:53 am 

Hi Mike -

Why wouldn't they be legal? You are allowed to add brake ducts, these are part of the brake duct and they aren't serving any prohibited purpose..

Or - rather than cut a big hole in the bumper cover, just cut a bunch of little holes. Screen does the same thing. It's part of the bumper cover by that logic..

Radiator screen was different in that you are not allowed to create any new opening or modify or delete the grille.

Al Seim
HP VW Scirocco

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:31 am 

I'm more interested in what a "CP Datsun 2000" is, and how that relates to the current GCR (EP/FP/HP)?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:16 am 

blamkin86 wrote:
I'm more interested in what a "CP Datsun 2000" is, and how that relates to the current GCR (EP/FP/HP)?

Mike has a 2L Datsun Roadster in SVRA Group 3 C-Production. Basically mimics C-Prod circa the late 1960s. I believe his car is Dick Tillinger’s old car (all white, raced SVRA in the NE), and was originally a Bob Sharp car

I’ve seen him with a EP Datsun 240Z which I’m guessing his question is in reference to.