prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Brake Duct Screens
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2002 2:45 pm
Posts: 37
Location: Gloucester Point, VA
What's the feeling on the legality of flat screens over the brake duct openings? On my car these are on the flat part of the bumper cover and would end up being sticking a few mm past the nose of the replica bumper cover so wouldn't pass a plumb bob test. I know what happened with the ruling on the radiator screens and I'm guessing this would also not be allowed but I can't find specific wording on this in the PCR regarding brake duct screens. Thanks.

_________________
Mike Unger
CP Datsun 2000


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brake Duct Screens
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:18 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:54 am
Posts: 1797
Methinks someone would have to be really hard up to protest something like that..

_________________
Matt Blehm
Houston Region
EP 1st Gen RX7
STU Nissan 240SX


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brake Duct Screens
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:40 am
Posts: 313
Location: Huntsville, AL
Matt93SE wrote:
Methinks someone would have to be really hard up to protest something like that..


Welcome to the SCCA, you must be new here? :lol:

_________________
Brett W
Huntsville, AL


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brake Duct Screens
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:50 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:45 am
Posts: 157
Brett W wrote:

Welcome to the SCCA, you must be new here? :lol:


Oh come on - you know how this works. Someone would need to go onto the message forums and complain about it for at least 6 months before a protest would even be thought of...

_________________
Thank you,
Bill H
92 Saturn SL2 - SCCA F-Production


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brake Duct Screens
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:58 am
Posts: 1163
DatsunDoc wrote:
What's the feeling on the legality of flat screens over the brake duct openings? On my car these are on the flat part of the bumper cover and would end up being sticking a few mm past the nose of the replica bumper cover so wouldn't pass a plumb bob test. I know what happened with the ruling on the radiator screens and I'm guessing this would also not be allowed but I can't find specific wording on this in the PCR regarding brake duct screens. Thanks.


Why cant you sandwich them between the duct and whatever you are mounting them to?

_________________
99 HP Toyota Yaris
2005-2008 SCCA Solo National Champion
2017 SCCA Runoffs Champion
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brake Duct Screens
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2002 2:45 pm
Posts: 37
Location: Gloucester Point, VA
Jason@SportsCar wrote:
DatsunDoc wrote:
What's the feeling on the legality of flat screens over the brake duct openings? On my car these are on the flat part of the bumper cover and would end up being sticking a few mm past the nose of the replica bumper cover so wouldn't pass a plumb bob test. I know what happened with the ruling on the radiator screens and I'm guessing this would also not be allowed but I can't find specific wording on this in the PCR regarding brake duct screens. Thanks.


Why cant you sandwich them between the duct and whatever you are mounting them to?


In this case there isn't a flat surface behind the bumper cover. It's more like a funnel inside a funnel. I can make a funnel shaped screen and insert it but the flat surface would be nice as it's easier to clean off.

So is thought that the screen on the outside of the cover over the brake duct opening is illegal?

_________________
Mike Unger
CP Datsun 2000


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brake Duct Screens
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2002 6:16 pm
Posts: 5388
Location: Oregon City, Or.
Jason@SportsCar wrote:
DatsunDoc wrote:
What's the feeling on the legality of flat screens over the brake duct openings? On my car these are on the flat part of the bumper cover and would end up being sticking a few mm past the nose of the replica bumper cover so wouldn't pass a plumb bob test. I know what happened with the ruling on the radiator screens and I'm guessing this would also not be allowed but I can't find specific wording on this in the PCR regarding brake duct screens. Thanks.


Why cant you sandwich them between the duct and whatever you are mounting them to?


bingo...

_________________
Joe Harlan Member #175515


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brake Duct Screens
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:24 am
Posts: 808
Hi Mike -

Why wouldn't they be legal? You are allowed to add brake ducts, these are part of the brake duct and they aren't serving any prohibited purpose..

Or - rather than cut a big hole in the bumper cover, just cut a bunch of little holes. Screen does the same thing. It's part of the bumper cover by that logic..

Radiator screen was different in that you are not allowed to create any new opening or modify or delete the grille.

Al Seim
HP VW Scirocco


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brake Duct Screens
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:21 am
Posts: 1142
I'm more interested in what a "CP Datsun 2000" is, and how that relates to the current GCR (EP/FP/HP)?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brake Duct Screens
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:58 pm
Posts: 453
Location: SJ
blamkin86 wrote:
I'm more interested in what a "CP Datsun 2000" is, and how that relates to the current GCR (EP/FP/HP)?


Mike has a 2L Datsun Roadster in SVRA Group 3 C-Production. Basically mimics C-Prod circa the late 1960s. I believe his car is Dick Tillinger’s old car (all white, raced SVRA in the NE), and was originally a Bob Sharp car

I’ve seen him with a EP Datsun 240Z which I’m guessing his question is in reference to.

_________________
Bob A.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group