prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:59 am 

Stephanie Funk went 2:18.153 @ 120.634, last year in a CRX at the same event.

https://dk1xgl0d43mu1.cloudfront.net/us ... 1498421220

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:08 am 

I've never protested a car in my entire career. I figure anyone racing at this level plans on being torn down at the Runoffs. I get beaten at the start and walked away from on straights all the time. That is our lot in life in LBC land. What would I protest? I know nothing about the car. Besides, it is not about him. He just demonstrated the potential of the car. Mike is asking the CRB to look at the generic MR2. Now if I owned and raced one, I would make it my business to find out what this guy is running, because if you don't you may find yourself in a different class.

#4 HP Midget
HP National Champion

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:29 am 

Ha, the old "intake manifold" argument. Never heard that before. *cough CRX cough*

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:23 pm 

My 2 cents. I have owned a ITA mr2 and a ITA Corolla gts which both carry the same motor. The mr2 handles like crap. I would love to have the corolla in HP. But I think an adjustment will come sooner or later.
Rick

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:57 am 

Out of curiosity, what's wrong with MR2 handling that can't be fixed in Prod trim?

Al Seim
HP VW Scirocco

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:26 pm 

Maybe it can be fixed. Short car with the motor in the rear. I never was able to know what the car was doing. I was able to run 2-3 seconds faster as soon as I got in the corolla.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:56 am 

Rick06 wrote:
Maybe it can be fixed. Short car with the motor in the rear. I never was able to know what the car was doing. I was able to run 2-3 seconds faster as soon as I got in the corolla.

The Mr2 can be as good as the corolla with some proper work, the corolla GTS has a better cylinder head and intake if I recall correctly.

Joe Harlan Member #175515

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:58 pm 

Hi guys - Introductions: I have an ITB MR2 and am involved with about half of those currently running in that class. I'm also on the ITAC, so pretty well versed in SCCA workings, and I'm also the person who requested the MR2 move to HP as it was not well classed as LP-FP. I haven't converted mine (yet) because life got in my way and priorities changed.

I have never laid eye or hand on this car but it's the same car and driver that created a stink at MidO and Rd America a few years ago in ITB before disappearing with what I'm told were mechanical failures. The arguments, claims, video, etc.. then were all quite simillar to those on this thread. those of us who know the cars pushed back against those arguments then, hard. MR2s remain a reasonably competative (in the right hands) option for ITB but they are not class killers by any estimation, particularly where straight line handling is concerned. Yes, I know HP is not ITB. By the way, stock cam is ~0.295 and CR is 9.4:1 (9.9:1 in IT) and the best make ~112 whp and NO torque.

I'm partial to the car but also partial to NOT upsetting a class with a badly categorized car so I believe that IF there's a problem with a classification it should be corrected. IF the 4AGE turns out to be too powerful for H at 2300# then sure, something would need to be done. My read, based on previous efforts by others when the car was classed in FP, is that the car was too slow there with nowhere to go to make more power (while LP) and not a lot of room to shed weight (fenders, glass, hood, and bumpers -> maybe ~2100#) so I'd think changing the cam / CR would be preferable to adding weight or moving it back up to FP.

What do we know about the car here? What is typical of other MR2s in the class? I doubt he's trying to get away with something like excess compression, cam, or cylinder head prep (which are agnostic to the make and model, so easy to check) with so many people seeing the car as excessively quick. I think a protest or teardown to determine compliance with these easy checks would be a good idea before requesting to change the classification.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:04 am 

Hi Chip. welcome, and thanks.
I think everyone is interested in fair play for all, just have slightly different view of what is 'fair' or how to get there.

Key take aways are:
1. don't try to change a classification for a chassis by a single car.
2. Don't judge a car by its driver
3. don't judge an engine by its sound
4. if it's too good to be true, it's probably not true.

;)

STU Nissan 240SX

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:50 am 

That and don't make BIG adjustments (move cars between classes in a category) when making smaller changes (changing prep limits) can produce a better result for all involved.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next