prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: LP motor testing
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:45 am 

rick haynes wrote:
"Final note is no one will ever be penalized by the whistler reading. it is just a tool to narrow down what else we need to check."

I don't think any more need be said about how inaccurate and unreliable the current way the club checks LP motors.

rick haynes

Funny for all the crap about your post the same people are working to throw the MR2 out of the class without even having it looked at via a protest...

Joe Harlan Member #175515

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:34 am 

Hey, file a protest if you think the whistler is wrong. So, if you see us whistling a motor and we don't take action, protest it and we will cc it. I just whistled a 358 cu in motor and later had the NASCAR engine builder share his build sheet with me. Whistler dead nut on sheet from builder. And that sheet had his whistler number written on it. They were the same. He also had puffed all eight cylinders for volume and it added up to 358. Puffer is a tool that shows volume of each cylinder.

Protest your own motor under the section that lets you do that. I'll whistle and cc. Then, you can see what it really is!! And I make that comment because I had a builder tell me he always builds in a safety factor but the customers do not know that.

And forget overlap, etc. There is always a point where both valves are shut and turning the engine over slowly by hand will find that point. The whistler is measuring tone just like blowing in a coke bottle with water. Tone changes based on volume. Exhaust noise has nothing to do with it.

But, as I have said, no one will ever get DQ'ed either at the Runoffs or a non points regional for being over on the whistler. It is just a guide to what next step is required.

I was on Ad Hoc Committee when Adam Malley first showed up with the Honda. Watching him at Road Atlanta, it was obvious he was just running fast enough to win. I told the Ad Hoc Committee and the CRB the car should be in GP or maybe even in FP. They ignored me. And when they started adding 100 lbs each year Adam won, I kept telling them that moving the car was the right thing not adding weight. Of course, the CRB would not admit their error and eventually added so much weight, the car started to break suspension pieces. If it stayed together, it still won. Even Adam wanted it moved. That error did a great deal of damage to prod numbers. A lot of people quit HP. Hopefully, the MR2 is not another case. But, Joe is right. Need to verify compliance. Gosh knows they saw the inside of Adam's motor, etc enough.

V8 Road Racing Series Administrator
Runoffs Line Chief Tech Prod cars

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:21 am 

FP Racer wrote:
…..Need to verify compliance.
OK Jim - You're on. The next time I see that MR2 at a race I am going to protest it. Just a general protest that it must be illegal to be that fast. It is up to you to find what is out of compliance. Just keep looking until you find something wrong. Will that work?

#4 HP Midget
HP National Champion

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:31 am 

Nope, you got to pick the item/items. Bore/stroke/compression ratio/porting/camshaft/valves/transmission/etc. Then, the stewards reach into a paper bag and pick fees which cover all the work. Normally, this is where most tear downs end. Sad.

Toni's 948 was torn down once and the fee was set at $750. As soon as we heard the number, the crew had it all done in 45 minutes and they handed us the cash bond and life was good especially since we were going to change pistons anyhow.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:59 am 

FP Racer wrote:
Nope, you got to pick the item/items. Bore/stroke/compression ratio/porting/camshaft/valves/transmission/etc..
Ha - I knew that it wouldn't, but I keep hearing that we want the poor guy with the MR2 looked at without even protesting him. If we know nothing about the car, and in fact don't even know if it is better than other MR2's (and from talking to some people we hear that it isn't necessarily) what do we protest? Everything that makes it go fast?

#4 HP Midget
HP National Champion

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:47 pm 

Maybe someone needs to have a heart to heart talk with him. Explain that he is going very fast and that people are questioning the level of prep on the car. Maybe he just didn't look in the book and has a motor prepped a little outside the box. Or as I pointed out above, it could be another example of the infamous Malley Honda. Adam had auto crossed and developed that car for many years before it hit the track. Same may be the case here. Or maybe his Uncle Sake works for TRD.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:28 pm 

Ron Bartell wrote:
FP Racer wrote:
Nope, you got to pick the item/items. Bore/stroke/compression ratio/porting/camshaft/valves/transmission/etc..
Ha - I knew that it wouldn't, but I keep hearing that we want the poor guy with the MR2 looked at without even protesting him. If we know nothing about the car, and in fact don't even know if it is better than other MR2's (and from talking to some people we hear that it isn't necessarily) what do we protest? Everything that makes it go fast?

pick something easy cam lift and compression. Ask for the whistler to be used. those two checks should not be more than 200 bucks. Get all the LBC guys together and spend a 1000 to look at valves and intake runners ect. I know from working on these cars what they can do. My best guess is the owner did not even look at the engine restrictions when it was built.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:04 pm 

CRB finally acknowledges HP mistake, begins testing alternative chassis/engine combo in search of equalizing HP class...

Attachments:
38227547_10156392960002295_4996723875099181056_n.jpg
38227547_10156392960002295_4996723875099181056_n.jpg [ 44.44 KiB | Viewed 1710 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:09 am 

One thing I have been working on is a tool that allows you to scan the chamber, piston, and bore via the spark plug.

So far I have been able to scan chambers and piston tops outside the block for CC, etc but still working on ways to do it in the bore and also via just the spark plug hole.

FP BMW 320i #93

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:36 am 

RonInSD wrote:
One thing I have been working on is a tool that allows you to scan the chamber, piston, and bore via the spark plug.

So far I have been able to scan chambers and piston tops outside the block for CC, etc but still working on ways to do it in the bore and also via just the spark plug hole.

I think the technology is out there in dental imaging but likely very cost prohibitive.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next