prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: LP motor testing
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:38 am 

I did a lot of work on a Lola T 70 with SBC. power. The collectors went through the rear bodywork and therefore, we ran the engine often with the shorties , no collectors. The car sounded like a top fueler without the collectors on and way loud . Of course we ran it as often as we could this way::)
Put it all together and the sound level went down a bout 40% , power went up, coolness way down . Good times.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:35 pm 

I am a little disappointed in the information that came out of this topic. I didn't really expect any confessions but I was hoping for some insight into how widespread the
problem of illegal LP motor might be. But then again no one denied it is going on ether. I obviously think it is happening so the revelation the club may or may not have an adequate way of policing it is not very reassuring.

rick haynes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:35 am 

rick haynes wrote:
Some of the things that determine the exhaust note of a race car are, type of exhaust, cam design, carb size and at the top of the list is compression ratio. And I have taken note that more and more LP cars have exhaust notes that, let's just say are a lot crisper than I would have
guessed, given the rules

rick haynes wrote:
I am a little disappointed in the information that came out of this topic. I didn't really expect any confessions but I was hoping for some insight into how widespread the
problem of illegal LP motor might be. But then again no one denied it is going on ether. ...

rick haynes

The solution to your quandary is obvious: Throw paper.

Given your finely-tuned ear, not only will you win every protest, you will earn the thanks of your peers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7ajdZzgR74

:)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:12 am 

I doubt that many of the Majors /National cars are illegal. The front runners are checked and I have never seen anyone over the whistler values. The new guys/cars are way more likely to be non compliant IMHO.
While many/of the old IT cars run at Regional events had Prod level engines, I dont think these guys play the same way with the big boys.
Feel free to throw paper and reduce the web strokes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:20 am 

Any engine builder who is knowingly building illegal limited prep engines is only doing himself harm. Eventually they will be caught. I've had dozens of my LP engines torn down at the runoffs and they do a great job of checking everything and I've never had a problem. There's no reason to cheat if you build a proper engine to the rules. I'd guess anyone who is pushing the rules won't be running up front and their trying to compensate for other area's that need to be addressed.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:22 am 

rick haynes wrote:
problem of illegal LP motor might be. But then again no one denied it is going on ether. I obviously think it is happening so the revelation the club may or may not have an adequate way of policing it is not very reassuring.

rick haynes

Well since you put it that way - obviously most Level 2 motors are cheating. I mean since no one told you how they were cheating when you asked, they must be. It is inconceivable that maybe our fellow competitors make the same effort that we do to be fast and legal.

Come on out to VIR Rick.
I'm sure everyone has a spare head gasket in their tool box and will be happy to take your tear down bond.

Until then, your credibility on this topic is not.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:25 am 

rick haynes wrote:

rick haynes

WOW, thats a pretty strong accusation without any meaningful evidence. Just because someone beats you, it doesn't mean he is cheating. This is amateur racing there is always somewhere to improve.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:01 pm 

That's why I decided to build a Level 1 EP Pinto. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:28 am 

I wouldn't know this for sure because I haven't won the Runoffs in a while, but the winner gets the head pulled to check valve size so I would hope that they cc the combustion chamber and check compression accurately and not just depend on the whistler reading like the other podium finishers. If the winner is legal it shows that whatever sound that is being attributed to higher compression is not accurate. I know that anyone who plans on winning the Runoffs needs to plan on being torn down, so they shouldn't be cheating.

On the whistler, every time I have been whistled I was very low. After the first time it happened I went back and looked at my calculations and found that to be safe, I was using the smallest combustion chamber, and since the Brits had such good quality control the chambers varied by almost 1/2 a CC which can change the CR quite a bit. So I cut a little off the head and still whistled low. Everyone that I have talked to has also whistled low as well, but that is not an issue if they do, in fact, CC the winner during teardown. If they don't, they should, and that would put the issue to rest.

#4 HP Midget
HP National Champion

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:34 am 

Maybe Rick got beat by a louder car . :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next