prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Mon May 20, 2019 2:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:42 am 

blamkin86 wrote:
I respectfully disagree.

If you have a closed car, only B applies.

If you retain the stock windshield, none of the wording for the replacement window applies.

What do you disagree with? I didn't make a statement, just posted the words from the GCR.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:29 am 

Someone was suggesting we had to put straps on stock windshields.

Sorry wasn't sure who it was.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:31 pm 

blamkin86 wrote:

Yeah, that is why I posted that, so there was no confusion.

Then of course there is this little tidbit in the top of the GCR

Quote:
Polycarbonate windshields such as Lexan are allowed except in Improved Touring, American Sedan, B-Spec,
Spec Miata, and Touring. Alternate windshields must be of 6mm minimum thickness.
Windshield safety clips and rear window safety straps are required on all closed cars, except on American
Sedan, B-Spec, Spec Miata, Touring, Improved Touring, and Super Touring, where they are optional. Alternatively,
no clips or straps are required if polycarbonate windshields and rear windows are securely bolted to
the frame.

3 clips (3 inch x 1 inch x 1/8 inch) shall be bolted or riveted to the body at the top of the windshield.
2 clips (3 inch x 1 inch x 1/8 inch) shall be bolted or riveted to the cowl and extend over the bottom edge of
the windshield. Clips shall be spaced a minimum of 12 inches apart.
It is recommended that 3 – 1 inch wide strips of steel or aluminum be installed behind the windshield to
support it from collapsing inwards if it becomes damaged. The rear window shall be secured with 2 metal
straps (1 inch wide x 1/8 inch thick) bolted or riveted to the body at the top and bottom of the rear window.

So do you need clips and straps on the stock windshield since it isn't bolted to the frame? Why are AS, B-spec, SM, IT, and ST, exempt? Do their windshields, side windows and rear windows have special properties that help keep them in place without the magic clips and straps?

Perhaps that could be SLIGHTLY less confusing SCCA.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:01 pm 

Brett W wrote:
blamkin86 wrote:

Yeah, that is why I posted that, so there was no confusion.

Then of course there is this little tidbit in the top of the GCR

Quote:
Polycarbonate windshields such as Lexan are allowed except in Improved Touring, American Sedan, B-Spec,
Spec Miata, and Touring. Alternate windshields must be of 6mm minimum thickness.
Windshield safety clips and rear window safety straps are required on all closed cars, except on American
Sedan, B-Spec, Spec Miata, Touring, Improved Touring, and Super Touring, where they are optional. Alternatively,
no clips or straps are required if polycarbonate windshields and rear windows are securely bolted to
the frame.

3 clips (3 inch x 1 inch x 1/8 inch) shall be bolted or riveted to the body at the top of the windshield.
2 clips (3 inch x 1 inch x 1/8 inch) shall be bolted or riveted to the cowl and extend over the bottom edge of
the windshield. Clips shall be spaced a minimum of 12 inches apart.
It is recommended that 3 – 1 inch wide strips of steel or aluminum be installed behind the windshield to
support it from collapsing inwards if it becomes damaged. The rear window shall be secured with 2 metal
straps (1 inch wide x 1/8 inch thick) bolted or riveted to the body at the top and bottom of the rear window.

So do you need clips and straps on the stock windshield since it isn't bolted to the frame? Why are AS, B-spec, SM, IT, and ST, exempt? Do their windshields, side windows and rear windows have special properties that help keep them in place without the magic clips and straps?

Perhaps that could be SLIGHTLY less confusing SCCA.

Back when the Prod rules were written how many cars had glued in OE glass? Most of the old stuff likely did not, and I suspect that is where the rule came from.

When we built our 1970' Corolla I was shocked how easily the installer was able to remove the windshield and swap out the pressure fit gasket.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:12 pm 

Perhaps its time to "modernize" the rules?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:40 pm 

I'm no longer running a stock windshield

That said, if I was, I'd make them write that one in the logbook.

It is no safer, in any way shape or form, to have extra clips added to the stock windshield.

I get that rules are rules, but seriously.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:33 am 

Brett W wrote:
Perhaps its time to "modernize" the rules?

Current Prod rules were rewritten within the last 10-15 years so not all that old. Not to say that they didn't continue some very old rules evolution, they did.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:38 am 

blamkin86 wrote:
I'm no longer running a stock windshield

That said, if I was, I'd make them write that one in the logbook.

It is no safer, in any way shape or form, to have extra clips added to the stock windshield.

I get that rules are rules, but seriously.

I sorta disagree. Bonded windshields can come loose, I've had one come completely unattached on a street car. Would actually have fallen out under braking except it was captured by trim on the lower edge. I could push the upper edge out and forward about 2-3". Not common I know!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:20 am 

Al Seim wrote:
I sorta disagree. Bonded windshields can come loose, I've had one come completely unattached on a street car. Would actually have fallen out under braking except it was captured by trim on the lower edge. I could push the upper edge out and forward about 2-3". Not common I know!

Al - fair point. But if that’s the concern then let’s put straps and clips on every stock windshield in every class. See my point? Why is only prod saddled with clips on stock windshields?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:03 am 

blamkin86 wrote:
Al Seim wrote:

Al - fair point. But if that’s the concern then let’s put straps and clips on every stock windshield in every class. See my point? Why is only prod saddled with clips on stock windshields?

Bill - fair point! :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next