prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Mon May 20, 2019 2:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:52 pm 

So I picked up some material tonight to start the clips. I installed the front clips. Since the interior front straps are not required I am not going to install them. I will ask for a clarification on the rear strap location but for now, I am not going to install them. I do not see a way to get the exterior rear straps in place and still be able to open the hatch. Maybe some with a 2G CRX can shoot a photo of what you did? There is probably a spot for the bolt at the top of the hatch with a poly windshield, dont see how it can work with a glass windshield.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:48 pm 

Just right on the window. The rule isn’t too specific, and like you said there isn’t any exposed sheet metal at the top of the hatch. Hell, are we supposed to have it on the useless tiny window?

Of course the image link doesn’t work

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 4:55 am 

Ian Green wrote:
Just right on the window. The rule isn’t too specific, and like you said there isn’t any exposed sheet metal at the top of the hatch. Hell, are we supposed to have it on the useless tiny window?

Let's see if that fixes it..

STU Nissan 240SX

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 5:26 am 

I teched several cars at Indy who had to remove the straps to open the back hatch. It took them about 30 seconds.

V8 Road Racing Series Administrator
Runoffs Line Chief Tech Prod cars

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 2:31 pm 

Quote:
Alternatively,
no clips or straps are required if polycarbonate windshields and rear windows are securely bolted to
the frame.

What am I missing here. Don't worry about the rear windows and hatch.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 9:33 pm 

The rules as written are poorly worded and make no sense in terms of rear glass in some cases. On a first Gen RX7 the rear hatch is glass. The glass is attached with hinges to mount it to the car. There is no frame. The purpose of the straps is to keep the lexan in place so it wil not blow out or fly off in a wreck. They will do nothing for the tempered stock glass. If its bolted to the car with the stock hinges it will either shatter into hundreds of pieces or it will stay in one piece on the car. No chance it will come off in one piece. Likewise on a 2nd gen RX7 much like the CRX the stock glass is in the small frame with little room to add straps to the frame without drilling into the glass. And I can see how the rules require you to fix the rear hatch shut in order to secure the rear glass. When that makes no sense with the stock glass hatch. Its another point of egress in an emergency and gives needed access to the fuel cell in a fire. And the production rules allows Lexan to be bolted in place without straps but requires straps for the stock glass even though it will shatter or stay on the car anyway. Here is part of the rule from Super Touring:

If a Lexan rear window is mounted with multiple, evenly spaced screws around each side of its perimeter, safety straps are not required. If a DOT spec glass rear window is used in conjunction with the OEM method of mounting, safety straps are recommended, but not required.

THat makes 100% more sense. The Produciton rule should be changed so the intent and the rule are the same.

FP Mazda Miata
IT7 RX7
2nd Gen STL EP RX7

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:17 pm 

They really need to make consistent rules. The window clip rule should be the window clip rule. Not the prod window clip rule.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:52 pm 

Ian Green wrote:
They really need to make consistent rules. The window clip rule should be the window clip rule. Not the prod window clip rule.

You must be new to SCCA? Consistent is not a word they know in Topeka.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:08 am 

Brett W wrote:
Ian Green wrote:

You must be new to SCCA? Consistent is not a word they know in Topeka.

Oh no, but the more spec’s I write at work the more the rules bother me.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:50 am 

Brett W wrote:
From the Prod Rules

Quote:
Glass - Windshield and Door

A. Open cars blah blah blah...

B. Closed cars can retain or replace the stock glass windshield. The replacement windshield
must be constructed of a polycarbonate material with a minimum thickness of 6mm,
and must be identical in size and curvature to the stock glass windshield. Replacement
windshields must have a minimum of three inner supports to prevent the windshield from
collapsing inward. Inner windshield supports must be a minimum of 0.75” by .125” straps
of aluminum. The inner supports must be mounted a minimum of eight inches apart.

I respectfully disagree.

If you have a closed car, only B applies.

If you retain the stock windshield, none of the wording for the replacement window applies.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next