ITA 91 CRX conversion to FP

raffaelli

So I started this a few years ago and other stuff got in the way. Now I am back on this.

For now I intend to keep all the OE glass. Since the glass is bolted to the car through the glued OE clips, do I need to add the metal clips and straps on both the front and rear, inside and out? Seems like it but wanted to double check.

Page 85 of the May GCR Update:

9.3.54. WINDSHIELDS/WINDSHIELD CLIPS/REAR WINDOW STRAPS

Windshield safety clips and rear window safety straps are required on all closed cars, except on American Sedan, B-Spec, Spec Miata, Touring, Improved Touring, and Super Touring, where they are optional. Alternatively, no clips or straps are required if polycarbonate windshields and rear windows are securely bolted to
the frame.

3 clips (3 inch x 1 inch x 1/8 inch) shall be bolted or riveted to the body at the top of the windshield.

2 clips (3 inch x 1 inch x 1/8 inch) shall be bolted or riveted to the cowl and extend over the bottom edge of
the windshield. Clips shall be spaced a minimum of 12 inches apart.

It is recommended that 3 – 1 inch wide strips of steel or aluminum be installed behind the windshield to support it from collapsing inwards if it becomes damaged. The rear window shall be secured with 2 metal straps (1 inch wide x 1/8 inch thick) bolted or riveted to the body at the top and bottom of the rear window.

racer_tim":3409oy3z said:
Page 85 of the May GCR Update:

9.3.54. WINDSHIELDS/WINDSHIELD CLIPS/REAR WINDOW STRAPS

Windshield safety clips and rear window safety straps are required on all closed cars, except on American Sedan, B-Spec, Spec Miata, Touring, Improved Touring, and Super Touring, where they are optional. Alternatively, no clips or straps are required if polycarbonate windshields and rear windows are securely bolted to
the frame.

3 clips (3 inch x 1 inch x 1/8 inch) shall be bolted or riveted to the body at the top of the windshield.

2 clips (3 inch x 1 inch x 1/8 inch) shall be bolted or riveted to the cowl and extend over the bottom edge of
the windshield. Clips shall be spaced a minimum of 12 inches apart.

It is recommended that 3 – 1 inch wide strips of steel or aluminum be installed behind the windshield to support it from collapsing inwards if it becomes damaged. The rear window shall be secured with 2 metal straps (1 inch wide x 1/8 inch thick) bolted or riveted to the body at the top and bottom of the rear window.

Thanks. The rear straps are part of the recommendation for the front? It does not state if the rear straps are to be on the inside or the outside.

Hold on a second.

We have to add straps or clips to the OEM windows?

Are you guys sure about that?

blamkin86":ipvyh6tt said:
Hold on a second.

We have to add straps or clips to the OEM windows?

Are you guys sure about that?

The way it is written we need front clips, and rear straps, even with glass. The front interior straps are recommended.

From the Prod Rules

Glass - Windshield and Door
A. Open cars may remove the windshield glass, door window glass, quarter window glass,
rear glass, vent glass, as well as its frames/channels and all mounting brackets. Window
winding mechanisms can be removed. If removed, a replacement windshield must be
installed. The replacement windshield must be fitted within the vertical planes of the
front most and rear most elements of the stock windshield and frame. The replacement
windshield must not exceed the height or width of the stock windshield and frame. Any
portion of the windshield that is in the driver’s line of sight, must be constructed of a clear
material. No part of the replacement windshield can be constructed of glass. If the stock
windshield frames/channels are retained, a high front roll cage hoop must be utilized, and
the stock windshield can be retained or replaced. If replaced, the replacement windshield
must be of a polycarbonate material with a minimum thickness of 6mm, be identical in size
and curvature to the stock glass windshield, and have a minimum of three vertical inner
supports to prevent the windshield from collapsing inward. Inner windshield supports
must be a minimum of 0.75” by .125” straps of aluminum.
The inner supports must be
mounted a minimum of eight inches apart. The rear window can be removed, as well as
its frames/channels and mounting brackets.
B. Closed cars can retain or replace the stock glass windshield. The replacement windshield
must be constructed of a polycarbonate material with a minimum thickness of 6mm,
and must be identical in size and curvature to the stock glass windshield. Replacement
windshields must have a minimum of three inner supports to prevent the windshield from
collapsing inward. Inner windshield supports must be a minimum of 0.75” by .125” straps
of aluminum.
The inner supports must be mounted a minimum of eight inches apart.

So I picked up some material tonight to start the clips. I installed the front clips. Since the interior front straps are not required I am not going to install them. I will ask for a clarification on the rear strap location but for now, I am not going to install them. I do not see a way to get the exterior rear straps in place and still be able to open the hatch. Maybe some with a 2G CRX can shoot a photo of what you did? There is probably a spot for the bolt at the top of the hatch with a poly windshield, dont see how it can work with a glass windshield.

Just right on the window. The rule isn’t too specific, and like you said there isn’t any exposed sheet metal at the top of the hatch. Hell, are we supposed to have it on the useless tiny window?

27GKizT

Of course the image link doesn’t work

Ian Green":1icgsm1r said:
Just right on the window. The rule isn’t too specific, and like you said there isn’t any exposed sheet metal at the top of the hatch. Hell, are we supposed to have it on the useless tiny window?

42467941961_781434af2d_b.jpg

Let's see if that fixes it..

I teched several cars at Indy who had to remove the straps to open the back hatch. It took them about 30 seconds.

Alternatively,
no clips or straps are required if polycarbonate windshields and rear windows are securely bolted to
the frame.

What am I missing here. Don't worry about the rear windows and hatch.

The rules as written are poorly worded and make no sense in terms of rear glass in some cases. On a first Gen RX7 the rear hatch is glass. The glass is attached with hinges to mount it to the car. There is no frame. The purpose of the straps is to keep the lexan in place so it wil not blow out or fly off in a wreck. They will do nothing for the tempered stock glass. If its bolted to the car with the stock hinges it will either shatter into hundreds of pieces or it will stay in one piece on the car. No chance it will come off in one piece. Likewise on a 2nd gen RX7 much like the CRX the stock glass is in the small frame with little room to add straps to the frame without drilling into the glass. And I can see how the rules require you to fix the rear hatch shut in order to secure the rear glass. When that makes no sense with the stock glass hatch. Its another point of egress in an emergency and gives needed access to the fuel cell in a fire. And the production rules allows Lexan to be bolted in place without straps but requires straps for the stock glass even though it will shatter or stay on the car anyway. Here is part of the rule from Super Touring:

If a Lexan rear window is mounted with multiple, evenly spaced screws around each side of its perimeter, safety straps are not required. If a DOT spec glass rear window is used in conjunction with the OEM method of mounting, safety straps are recommended, but not required.

THat makes 100% more sense. The Produciton rule should be changed so the intent and the rule are the same.

They really need to make consistent rules. The window clip rule should be the window clip rule. Not the prod window clip rule.

Ian Green":9fryxqk3 said:
They really need to make consistent rules. The window clip rule should be the window clip rule. Not the prod window clip rule.

You must be new to SCCA? Consistent is not a word they know in Topeka.

Brett W":3u4y69vv said:
Ian Green":3u4y69vv said:

You must be new to SCCA? Consistent is not a word they know in Topeka.

Oh no, but the more spec’s I write at work the more the rules bother me.

Brett W":3ossglib said:
From the Prod Rules

Glass - Windshield and Door

A. Open cars blah blah blah...

B. Closed cars can retain or replace the stock glass windshield. The replacement windshield
must be constructed of a polycarbonate material with a minimum thickness of 6mm,
and must be identical in size and curvature to the stock glass windshield. Replacement
windshields must have a minimum of three inner supports to prevent the windshield from
collapsing inward. Inner windshield supports must be a minimum of 0.75” by .125” straps
of aluminum. The inner supports must be mounted a minimum of eight inches apart.

I respectfully disagree.

If you have a closed car, only B applies.

If you retain the stock windshield, none of the wording for the replacement window applies.

Back