prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:55 pm 

tschreyer wrote:
kruck wrote:
There's no absolutely golden answer to this question,........Test, test, test. Try stuff. Every lap of every session should be a test. And keep records!!!

I agree - my beef was with being told we were shooting for a narrow safe operating range, only to find out others are running something 25-33% different!
I think that your frustration is that you are applying bias ply logic to radials. You must have heard by now that tire pressure doesn't really matter as much. Therefore I don't see why it bothers you so much to hear different ranges. You need to test and find what you are comfortable with. When I first switched to radials Tim told me that the Nascar guys were running 70 lbs air pressure on one side, so they were obviously still getting good grip at that pressure.

As for conflicting information you will always find that with tires. At the Indy Runoffs I was trying to get a consensus as to whether it was better to qualify on scuffs versus stickers. I couldn't get a straight answer from any of the experts that I talked to so I went with my personal knowledge.

As for Tim versus Adam, I have been working with Hoosier for over 25 years. I don't know who Adam is. He may be excellent, but I would go with what Tim tells you, which by the way, after the initial testing of a new construction and compound is what us racers have fed back to him from our results. R&D only goes so far, and actual results where the rubber truly meets the road is what counts.

#4 HP Midget
HP National Champion

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 1:34 pm 

Maybe all of us Prod Racers could chip in an help Hoosier afford some Calspan Tire testing time so we could have more data than we could shake a stick at. Then of course no one would know what to do with that data outside of Hoosier.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 2:25 pm 

Ron Bartell wrote:
tschreyer wrote:
kruck wrote:
There's no absolutely golden answer to this question,........Test, test, test. Try stuff. Every lap of every session should be a test. And keep records!!!

I agree - my beef was with being told we were shooting for a narrow safe operating range, only to find out others are running something 25-33% different!
I think that your frustration is that you are applying bias ply logic to radials. You must have heard by now that tire pressure doesn't really matter as much. Therefore I don't see why it bothers you so much to hear different ranges. You need to test and find what you are comfortable with. When I first switched to radials Tim told me that the Nascar guys were running 70 lbs air pressure on one side, so they were obviously still getting good grip at that pressure.

As for conflicting information you will always find that with tires. At the Indy Runoffs I was trying to get a consensus as to whether it was better to qualify on scuffs versus stickers. I couldn't get a straight answer from any of the experts that I talked to so I went with my personal knowledge.

As for Tim versus Adam, I have been working with Hoosier for over 25 years. I don't know who Adam is. He may be excellent, but I would go with what Tim tells you, which by the way, after the initial testing of a new construction and compound is what us racers have fed back to him from our results. R&D only goes so far, and actual results where the rubber truly meets the road is what counts.

In my mind I was applying Hoosier logic. I was doing what I was told.

Time to move on. Good info in this thread nonetheless and hopefully it helps someone else in their search for tire optimization.

#38 EP BMW

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:12 am 

Guess you figured out your tire pressures!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:32 am 

We were very successful in running take off DOTs with the understanding that they'll be slower, but very driveable. We had switched to the slick and hadn't ever used a new slick, just take offs. Of course a trip to the Hoosier truck and a few pen strokes on a check that I hope doesn't bounce solves most things. :mrgreen: I guess the slick isn't as forgiving to heat cycles as the DOT.

I haven't gotten to run around Brakke all weekend at speed. No idea how we'll stack up this afternoon. But not sure I have 2 or 3 more seconds for him.

#38 EP BMW

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:52 am 

Well congrats. I find the A7 to be the fastest but last only 4 laps. The radial slick is slightly slower but lasts the whole race once they are up to temp. The R7 is a second slower than the A7 in my testing which is 2 at RA.

Good luck from another bmw guy.