prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:03 am 

OK, we tested our "new" Sprite this weekend. Went well, but the right rear axle seal leaked like crazy every session. Its been a while since I worked on my FP Sprite but what is the fix for this? I did the pull it apart, clean, RTV, etc., but that did not work. The left side did not leak. Also the axles were different from I used to have. The both ends of the axle are splined, a matching, splined "cap" fits over and clocks to the wheel studs......Thanks a ton in advance!!!
Dave

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:19 am 

Which rear hub style are you using Dave? Are you running the rubber o-ring seals in the hubs?

#37 HP Sprite
Hoosier/Taylor Race Engr/Red Line/Stinnett, Padrutt & Aranyosi/Six Shooter Coffee/Capital Planners

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:27 am 

https://strangeoval.com/product/rear-axle-seals/

Give them a call for fit. It may require a bit of ingenious to fit them. It's been completed and works well.

David Dewhurst
CenDiv Milwaukee Region
F Prod #14

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:35 am 

Jason,
I did not see any o-rings when it was apart. There was a very thin gasket.
Dave

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:55 am 

If you didn't find a O-ring that would be a problem. All of the double bearing hubs that I have used have used a O-ring. It may not be the same at the original factory size. You should check with the manufacturer of the hub. I have been using hubs from Mini Mania. They work just fine but use a O-ring that is just a little lager in diameter then the original. The paper gasket is just a little extra. Some people don't use them at all.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:11 am 

If you truly want to do the job right talk to Ron Bartell. He used the Huffaker rear hub which ditches the entire sprite hub assembly and axle and uses a dwarf car no diff oil solution. You'll need a pro to weld and reinforce it........but I doubt you will ever check hubs or axles again. Jay

"I am merely a visitor on this planet"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:12 am 

The axle mounting flange is likely NOT where it is leaking.......probably the inboard oil seal

"I am merely a visitor on this planet"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:32 am 

I believe a speedi sleeve might be the fix.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:25 pm 

I do remember an o-ring on my square body. No o-ring on this car. Thanks for all of the suggestions I'll look into them.
Dave

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:43 pm 

Jay Lutz wrote:
If you truly want to do the job right talk to Ron Bartell. He used the Huffaker rear hub which ditches the entire sprite hub assembly and axle and uses a dwarf car no diff oil solution. You'll need a pro to weld and reinforce it........but I doubt you will ever check hubs or axles again. Jay
It is true that the Huffaker hubs solve the problem completely and you will never have to worry about rear hub leaks again, but it is a very complicated and expensive solution involving chucking the entire rear axle housing in a big lathe and machining the new mounting diameters for the DCP/Huffaker hubs.

The fix for the normal double bearing hubs depends on what the problem is. Most likely the bearings are worn allowing the hub to have more movement than it should, which ruins the seals. So, start by replacing the 1 3/4 XLS bearings and put in new seals at a minimum. The outer conrad style bearings are cheap, so you can replace them while you are at it. If the surace that the seal rides on is damaged at all you could install the Speedi seals as Don mentioned. You should have an o-ring between the axle flange and hub. You don't need the paper gasket. If there is no o-ring you will need to seal the axle to hub interface with RTV, which will make it difficult to get the axles out. With the two-piece axles you can get a leak from the outer spline which has a cap that is bolted to the hub, but still needs to be sealed.

From there, if there are still leaks, you need to minimize the amount of oil that gets out to the hubs. Some people have packed the inner hub XLS bearing with grease and use a sealed bearing on the outer hub bearing with the outer seal removed so oil can still get to that bearing. I have never done that but I heard that it works.

#4 HP Midget
HP National Champion