prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:13 am 

Matt93SE wrote:
Jesse, is that list of allowed carbs under the level 1 or level 2 prep section? And is your car classified via level 1 or level 2 prep? :) The way I see it, our 13B SP engines are classified as level 2 prep, but the Berg you are referencing is only allowed under the level 1 section.. There is a very short list of Webers and a holley-weber 5200 listed, no Berg or Weber IDA listed as permitted alternate carbs in the level 2 section.. So per this ruleset, both yours and mine would be illegal.. Yet these carbs have been on these cars for decades. ?

Hmmm. I don't like that!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:51 pm 

Jesse Prather wrote:
Hmmm. I don't like that!

Write your letter(s)!
Maybe with your influence, it can get resolved more quickly?

STU Nissan 240SX

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:28 am 

I believe this will be added to level 2 cars in the next fastrack, the list of approved carbs. It appears to have been an oversight.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:54 am 

Not to be a jerk, but the auto-type carbs are still only under the L1 prep rule section - 9.1.5.E.1.b.1 and not the L2 prep rule 9.1.5.E.2.b.1.

(also 9.1.5.E.1.b.8 should probably be moved to the L2 prep section since rotaries are L2 engines)

I assume carbs like the slicked up IDA with the shafts cut (I think Jesse knows the one I'm talking about) that has made its rounds are illegal now?

It's a bit annoying to me, honestly - so, say, if I buy a Weber 48 IDA, mill for 51mm butterflies, do the old trick of enlarging the float bowl by cutting the dividing wall to the hollow part of the casting it's illegal, but if I buy an EMPI 51 EPC Weber clone where the manufacturer did all of that it's legal?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:14 am 

If they would allow ITB type fuel injection in addition to actual carbs, this problem would go away.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:30 am 

Before the list of approved carbs came about, I was kicking around the idea of casting a Weber format ITB that took off the shelf Weber chokes - I think if, say, you metered into a well that was continuously suctioned by the booster venturi vs injected into the runner, it would meet the letter of the carburetor definition and honestly wouldn't have any airflow advantages.

All things considered I'd prefer to not have to mess with carburetors but oh well, Prod is what it is.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:13 pm 

https://www.borlainduction.com/throttle ... nents.html

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:25 pm 

But those are clearly throttle bodies with no class mandated venturis! ;)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:19 am 

saw a company that sells TB's that look like side draft carbs

https://foxinjection.com/products/herit ... ottle-body

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:24 am 

We're obviously getting off-track... the point remains that, having seen carburetors that are on level 2 EProd cars (for decades) and reading the carb rule change, I'm actually legitimately not sure what to buy for my own build. If I find a used Weber 48 can I rework it for more float bowl capacity and the 3rd progression hole, or do I have to buy the Chinese clone that has it done and hope I got a good one? Are some of the old reworked carbs that I've seen actually legal or just tech barn legal?

I'm tempted to send Berg or EMPI or someone drawings of what I want done and ask them to put it in their catalog as a special extra cost item - factory unmodified carburetor then, right?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next