prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:02 am 

So I have a 13B level 2 engine.. Weber IDA.. Because my spec line says "auto-type carb". but WTH is an auto-type carb now? the only place that's explained is in the level 1 prep section and isn't mentioned at all for level 2... so that's just not right.

A quick bit of searching for "auto-type" in the GCR, and it comes up throughout the book any place there's a spec line for rotary engine. It also comes up multiple places through the Prod spec lines for various makes, but the majority of the mentions are in rotary spec lines for various classes. But there's no definition of "auto type carb" per se.. so yet again, cornfusion.

STU Nissan 240SX

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:15 am 

It's pretty obvious, to me anyway. It's an automatic carb, off the automatic model. Or maybe it automatically chooses the correct jets.

Anyway, rule is adequate as written. :wink: :wink: :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:39 am 

automotive type as in not motorcycle is what I have always thought.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:32 am 

dakar318 wrote:
automotive type as in not motorcycle is what I have always thought.

Agreed, IIRC the rules used to say it the other way around, forbidding slide throttle individual body motorcycle carbs.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:43 am 

So yet again, more 'streamlining' has created more errors and omissions that the streamlining was intended to clean up.. ?

STU Nissan 240SX

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:41 pm 

Matt93SE wrote:
So yet again, more 'streamlining' has created more errors and omissions that the streamlining was intended to clean up.. ?

Maybe not more, but certainly new and different!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:19 am 

There is a list of carbs in the PCS now for allowed carbs. These carbs can't be modified from stock. I run a Berg carb which is listed. It is unmodified as it came from them. This is what the rule means, I can't change it. I can't thin the shaft, I can't change the hardware, I can't open up any passages. I can install the correct size choke that is on my spec line and that's it.

That's how it see it anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:48 am 

Jesse, is that list of allowed carbs under the level 1 or level 2 prep section? And is your car classified via level 1 or level 2 prep? :) The way I see it, our 13B SP engines are classified as level 2 prep, but the Berg you are referencing is only allowed under the level 1 section.. There is a very short list of Webers and a holley-weber 5200 listed, no Berg or Weber IDA listed as permitted alternate carbs in the level 2 section.. So per this ruleset, both yours and mine would be illegal.. Yet these carbs have been on these cars for decades. ?

STU Nissan 240SX

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:10 am 

Jesse Prather wrote:
There is a list of carbs in the PCS now for allowed carbs. These carbs can't be modified from stock. I run a Berg carb which is listed. It is unmodified as it came from them. This is what the rule means, I can't change it. I can't thin the shaft, I can't change the hardware, I can't open up any passages. I can install the correct size choke that is on my spec line and that's it.

That's how it see it anyway.

That is how I see it too.

If all you have to do is work with someone on the list to make a super fancy carb and slap a part number on it and send it to you, why even have the rule in the first place?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:43 am 

Another reason why I went to GTL. It feels like every time they clarify something the waters get muddier.

Is this going to happen for throttle bodies next? If you can't make simple mods like making sure the butterfly screws don't fall out in a carb, but you can to a throttle body.

2009 Mazda MX-5 12A GTL #04
SCCA Member #97968

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next