prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: trailer question
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:29 am 

the used 28 foot 10000 gvw enclosed trailer i bought is supposed to have 225 75 r 15 tires. it came with with 235 85 r 16 which are taller. should i go back to the recommended size?

Post subject: Re: trailer question
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:07 am 

That's a pretty big difference; about +3.5" in overall height. They fit in the fender just fine? They're going to rotate and accumulate miles 12% slower, which is better for wear and heat build-up, plus there's more mass to deal with the heat (assuming they're both the same weight rating). I don't see a reason why I'd go changing them out, if for no other reason than "wasn't what it had originally".

ruckracing honda's:
'15 & '10 Runoffs FP Champion
'10, '09, & '08 ARRC ITA/ITB Champion

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:18 am 

I made the trailer mods to go from 15" to 16" last year. Glad I did. The 16's have a higher weight rating and run 10-20 degrees cooler than the 15's.

2009 Mazda MX-5 12A GTL #04
SCCA Member #97968

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:55 am 

i did not like it because of the height difference. They do fit, have a higher weight rating, and they are 10 ply instead of 8 ply. also the other differences that you mentioned.
sounds like i should keep them

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:49 am 

The other thing I have are pressure and temp monitoring for the truck and trailer tires. It's saved me 2 truck tires and 2 trailer tires so far. It's nice to have some warning.

SCCA Member #97968

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:54 am 

Rick06 wrote:
i did not like it because of the height difference. They do fit, have a higher weight rating, and they are 10 ply instead of 8 ply. also the other differences that you mentioned.
sounds like i should keep them

That was the main downside for me from 15"s - 16"s, new "floor height".

I used to be able to drive my car in my trailer with the front bumper on and a semi esoteric arrangement of small ramps and wood stepping pieces, etc.
Now with 16"s, no way. Bumper has to come off.
I tried several schemes with ramps and blocks, was too much, too big, too heavy.
Easier to just take the bumper off,,, but it is one more process to start and end the race weekend.

But,,, the benefits of the larger, heavier duty tire mentioned above will hopefully outweigh that one downside,,, well,,, actually two downsides,,, in that Im old and now need a little step to get into my trailer that I didnt need before.

88 BMW M3 - SPU #98

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:58 pm 

I would prefer one more small step into the trailer than I would the hassle of changing tires on the side of the highway.. Regardless of which 15" tires I've bought, I still don't get more than a couple years out of a set before they start popping randomly. zero warning, just BOOM. (I need to buy myself a TPMS system for the trailer.)

I've lost one on the I-10 causeway west of NOLA. that is NOT a place you want to change a tire as you're on a bridge and the trailer is wider than the shoulder lane, not to mention the clearance necessary to actually do the work. Fortunately, the tire was on the right side of the trailer and was lucky enough that a friendly local policeman was close behind. He pulled over with lights to move traffic over while I was still getting tire and tools out.
I've lost a great many more tires than that, so at this point I always leave home with two spares and keep the ramp/jack, spare, and impact wrench within reach of the door.

to summarize, keep the 16" as others have said. you'll have better reliability with the tires.

STU Nissan 240SX

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:52 pm 

I built a step for the door.

I also spend a lot more time towing the trailer than loading the car. I just got a winch so that should help the loading.

I got the idea for a TPS from Eric Prill. Got a 12 sensor unit for $350 on Ebay. Worth every penny.

Coming back from Daytona in the middle of the night I was leaving a truck stop and the alarm for "rapid deflation" went off. One of the steel braided extension hoses on the inside dual had loosened up and was leaking. Easily saved me from losing a tire and changing it on the highway. I'd recommend it for everyone. Cheap insurance.

SCCA Member #97968

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:52 am 

thanks for the advise

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:57 am 

Matt93SE wrote:
...I always leave home with two spares and keep the ramp/jack, spare, and impact wrench within reach of the door.

Same. Two mounted spares that can be easily reached by dropping the rear door on the trailer, and the ramp & wrench are in the back basement of the RV. I've gone from "Dammit!" to back on the road with the spare swapped on in under 15 minutes.

Mazda Jon wrote:
I built a step for the door.

Same. Made a long rectangular box out of aluminum, with diamond plate for the top, which sits just inside the door of the trailer. Open the door, pull it out and set it on the ground, nice and sturdy step.

ruckracing honda's:
'15 & '10 Runoffs FP Champion
'10, '09, & '08 ARRC ITA/ITB Champion