prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Continental Tire Slicks
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:47 am 

Ok....In an effort to keep some operating costs down this year i was looking at HOosiers discontinued tires and found they have a Continental Slick in EC-DR ST compound for $150 bucks for the 17" rims. That's a huge amount less than the $440 for a hoosier :-[...

Anyone know anything about the continentals or how the compounds compare to a hoosier slick or hoosier a7/r7?

aaron

Ex #8 HP Spitfire 1500 (it's happy at its new home)
#08 EP Honda S2000
Member #310579

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:15 am 

They're bricks.

At least a second a lap slower, maybe (probably) more. I ran them (as take-offs) on the RX-8 for the first 2-3 years I was messing with it. Bricks.

EP 2004 RX-8 #13

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:36 am 

Yep.. They're an endurance compound meant to last for hours on track. hard as rocks and seriously don't grip until several laps in when they get nice and hot. At that point, you're back of the pack in a sprint race.

If you're looking for a tire that helps you develop smoothness and keep you from overdriving the car, these are it. They will absolutely punish your lap times if you go past their grip limits, so they are actually a decent training tool--- assuming you think shock collars on a dog are a good training tool.

STU Nissan 240SX

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:48 am 

The R7s are a little slower than the S100s and considerably cheaper too.

This is what I run on my school bus
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.js ... &tab=Sizes

If you want to go off-hoosier, these are supposedly very good at $291 each
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.js ... 54WR7GFR1S

Last edited by blamkin86 on Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:55 am 

I ran the BFG R1 and R1-S on my STU car. the R1-S has a touch less overall grip than Hoosier R7, but comes in a bit quicker and lasts longer. I would get about 8 track sessions before running out of rubber, and didn't really notice any dropoff in speed.

The R1 (hard compound) is slower, but lasts a LOOT longer- like 40 heat cycles and there's still rubber left but it's so hard you want to throw them away.

None of them compare to the grip of a true slick, but all of them last longer.

STU Nissan 240SX

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:55 am 

RacerBowie wrote:
They're bricks.

At least a second a lap slower, maybe (probably) more. I ran them (as take-offs) on the RX-8 for the first 2-3 years I was messing with it. Bricks.

This ^^^^

I have run loads of them.
They are great for track days, and you can certainly race on them, but all other things being equal yeah they will be well off where you would be on a Hoosier radial slick (or a current Hoosier DOT radial).
They do last a long time and its so hard to argue with brand new tires for $150 ea.
I bought 3 or 4 full sets when they were clearing out the 15"s a few years ago (and have run several sets of take offs).

I have to say yeah budget wise it was a good thing, but I was pretty happy when they were finall used up. Going back to real Hoosier radials was life changing. It seemed easy. Like swinging a bat with a weight on it, then knocking it off.

I read somewhere that the compound they used is a several year old Hoosier DOT R compound. I cannot remember which one. I'll see if I can find the post.

88 BMW M3 - SPU #98

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:03 pm 

when I was tire shopping, BFG wouldn't do any contingency for prod :( regardless of tire choice...

I've considered A7 or R7 or SM7 for real budget weekends... I ran A6 at runoffs one time and it was a little slower... I was going for something that might be trick during the cool overcast race, but outsmarted myself... but I bet fresh A7's are as fast as S80 or whatever that have some time on them??? And you can still get contingency... If I was out of range of contingency, I'd really look at the SM7's....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:17 pm 

Sam, this may get a bunch of chuckles but I'll ask anyway. When running A7's on your F car obviously there was great God like comfort in the twistys. That being said would that great God like comfort slow your times at track like Road America?

David Dewhurst
CenDiv Milwaukee Region
F Prod #14

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:07 am 

I ran a6 at road America runoffs in the race. Right before the a7 was released.

They were easier to drive and more predictable. Straightaway speeds about the same. A little down on ultimate grip compared to the non dot in turns. I knew I outsmarted myself on lap two in long turns when I was around other cars. But they felt awesome. They were good right from the start and I was able to keep them under me the whole race. I felt I was about 1 second off my pace at road America and the left rear was pretty beat up at the end ...

I'm sure the a7 is better but the s is better than the r too on the non dot side. Seems prill is always at the races I attend so really not much chance to play with them lately.... and the "s" feels so much better I've had less desire. But cheap Sm tires are tempting! And I've looked at enough of their SM data to know they're pretty good!