prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Data Loggers
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:29 am 

I'm looking for advice on Data Loggers, primarily to record engine parameters such as O2, fuel pressure, oil pressure, water temp, exhaust temp, oil temp, air temp, etc. I've looked at RacePak and Aim Evo4, just wanted to see if anyone has experience using these or others specifically for engine monitoring/tuning

Thanks,
Don Tucker
EP Miata

Post subject: Re: Data Loggers
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:46 am 

I'm biased as I'm the US distributor but also have a look at the Race Technology DL1 data loggers. Lots in use by SCCA champions, OEMs for development (GM especially), European GT3 series etc.

No flash just an excellent GPS enabled data logger with excellent analysis software. For serious work I advise the DL1CLUB model. You probably don't need any of the options unless you need more than 8 analog inputs.

We also have an extensive selection of ECU data interfaces if that is relevant.

See

http://www.race-technology.com/us/racin ... s/dl1-club

Plus you'd be helping support a fellow Prod racer!

Al Seim
RTUSA
HP VW Scirocco

PS - also very useful for tuning chassis and driver

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:58 am 

sorry Al: prioritized choices:
1 Aim
2 Aim
3 Aim

"I am merely a visitor on this planet"

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:05 pm 

Don,
I have a Race Technology DL1. I really like what it can do, BUT ...

It is a pain in the a$$ to use. It's overly complicated. (BUT since I own it, I use it.) On the plus side they are available used at very low prices.

Think of it as a really hot girlfriend who sometimes makes your life wonderful and other times makes you life hell.

Peter

#45 GTLite Nissan 200SX
2008 GTLite Nat'l Champ
2009 "Got my butt kicked"

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:52 pm 

This is what I love about the Prod community - always friendly and supportive! :?

All of the data systems on the market are niche products from relatively small companies and as such all have some bugs. The Race Technology DL1CLUB is a very mature product with several thousand in the field worldwide. Our products tend toward the "techie" side and are certainly more complex than some, especially on the software side. OTOH there is a reason that GM Performance Engineering usre our products and not AIM to develop ATS-V, CTS-V, ZL1 etc etc.

Roughly speaking, if you are a techie you will like our stuff, if not maybe not.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:03 am 

I like Zeckert's summary.

"I am merely a visitor on this planet"

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:57 am 

Tucker wrote:
I'm looking for advice on Data Loggers, primarily to record engine parameters such as O2, fuel pressure, oil pressure, water temp, exhaust temp, oil temp, air temp, etc. I've looked at RacePak and Aim Evo4, just wanted to see if anyone has experience using these or others specifically for engine monitoring/tuning

Thanks,
Don Tucker
EP Miata

AEM offers a number of devices for this purpose:

http://www.aemelectronics.com/files/pr/ ... er_PR.html

You did not say you wanted a dash - you said logger but are looking at the evo4 - an AEM CD7 is another option:
https://youtu.be/lnodQLBRGao

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:47 am 

I have a 2nd generation DL1 that works pretty well. As Al said, the software side is a bit techy and it can be a bit daunting getting anything from it as, initially, there is a whole lot of information presented and needs to be configured/understood. I have had no problems with it otherwise.

That said, I was paying attention at the Runoffs to who was there and what support was offered. AIM was very much present and had data people walking around offering support to all of their users. They were over working with one of my F5 neighbors figuring out the issue with his system. I believe they also had a tent there where you could get support and additional components should it be needed.

AIM also regularly has seminars throughout the US on DAQ systems and how to interpret the data (I believe there will be one at Pegasus again this spring (https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/produ ... AIMSEMINAR)) and you can get offers here in the US. Race Technologies is UK based and, for all of their Christmas specials, the e-mails very clearly stated that it was for their UK customers only (to be fair, I never reached out the RT USA to see if they were doing the same thing - I wasn't in the market at the time).

I'm in a position now where I am making some big changes to my car and am planning on moving to a digital dash. I know the DL1 will talk with the DASH2, but, with the size of the investment, am certainly considering other options. The AIM support was noteworthy and will be a factor in my decision.

edited to add the link to the AIM DAQ seminar.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:02 pm 

I have an AEM CD7 and their Vehicle Dynamics Module. I used it at one event, but didn't get the logging portion setup correctly. The active lap timing function was working though and the lap times compared to the published time sheet. I really like the AEM display, its BRIGHT and the color display makes it easy to read even in the brightest sunlight. However, the AEM is kinda limited on how you feed inputs. If you are running an ECU that outputs CAN data or f you are running an AEM ECU you are ok, but you can't feed direct Analog inputs into the CD7. I am running a Hondata ECU so it has a few analog inputs. I may upgrade to an Infinity ECU, but it will accept analog inputs. I think you can run analog inputs into AEM's AQ1 data logger box as well.

I have installed one DL1, DASH 2 and Video Box from Race Technologies. Al is great to work with, but the software is REALLY clunky and tough to get setup if you aren't a real tech nerd. If it weren't for Al, I probably wouldn't have gotten it working.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:48 pm 

I bought a AIM MXS dash logger. I love the thing. I'm an idiot and I figure out how to configure it, add more sensors, get an output that actually tells me what i did and where i should be quicker. Then spent a bunch more money to get the cameras integrated.

The aim software is really user friendly, i don't have to load tracks, it automatically does it (although the runoffs configuration i should have created and loaded).

It more information than i know what to do with right now, is almost infinitely expandable.

Depending on your budget it's a good way to go.

Ex #8 HP Spitfire 1500 (it's happy at its new home)
#08 EP Honda S2000
Member #310579