prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 5:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Oh Lordy!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:30 pm 

While inspecting the front suspension on the Spridget race car as part of the winter inspection, I noticed some movement in the LF wheel/axle. I first thought it was collapsed wheel bearing so I took the bearings out and inspected. I re-assembled, making sure to eliminate play with the MGB shims (tapered roller bearings with spacer).

Movement still there so I looked further. Found what you see in the pictures. The axle weld has cracked and things are moving! See pictures. Will closely inspect the RF shortly.

The axles are of unknown origin. I have abused them for the ten years I have raced the car. Who knows how old they are.

Several questions:

Can it be re-welded? If so, should grind out old weld or let Roger or another welder tig over it?

Are welded axles available these days? If so where?

Or, should I just use a 746/747 axle from one of the parts cars?

Attachments:
IMG_2401-2.JPG
IMG_2401-2.JPG [ 137.2 KiB | Viewed 1870 times ]
IMG_2399-2.JPG
IMG_2399-2.JPG [ 128.95 KiB | Viewed 1870 times ]
IMG_2405-2.JPG
IMG_2405-2.JPG [ 133.41 KiB | Viewed 1870 times ]

Post subject: Re: Oh Lordy!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:49 am 

Hey John,

I had pretty good luck with the 746/747 spindles so I recommend them. .....and a few failures with the welded sort.

On the 74x be sure to magnaflux the bearing side small radii.....and pick spindles with the largest......ie lowest stress concentration factor. Call if this is confusing. Jay 317-473-2124

"I am merely a visitor on this planet"

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:05 pm 

These appear to be earlier version, where seal wipe diameter was major diameter of machined axle, allowing it to slip through bored hole in swivel portion from either side. (And pull out when weld broke) Later version had small, thin head on axle which was pressed into a counterbored hole from the rear of the swivel portion. Always thought later version better. Winner's Circle was major source in the day

If rewelding, definitely grind out old weld, being careful not to get into swivel portion parent metal with bore in it. If axle was too loose too long, the bore may already be egg shaped. Not good.

RJS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:26 am 

This spindle is not from the Winner's Circle, since it is not fully welded. All the ones that we sold in the last 15 or so years had a square weld job. It looks to be a very old unit from Ca. I doubt it is possible to save this unit. Check the other side with magnafluxing or a dye check kit. You might contact the Winner's Circle as to when they will have them in stock. 216-889-4666.