prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:32 am 

I have a 1978 Civic GTC that has been in pieces for about 12 years. I recently decided it was time to start cleaning it up and putting the car back together for vintage racing. One question I have is about the struts. The car originally had some worn out tokio struts and I replaced them with some new old stock Konis. I had Ian Gordon take a quick peek at them in 2005 and he said not to exceed a certain spring rate. I think I exceeded that rate at least in the rear the first time out, maybe the front too, but then found other major problems and tore the car completely apart.

So now in 2017 Ian Gordon Racing has closed and I know nothing about looking at shock dyno charts. I emailed Koni using their contact form and have not heard back yet. I know Ian told me not to go too stiff with the inserts as they are, but after 12 years I can not remember what the limit was. The car only weighs about 1700 lbs with me in it. It currently has 350lb springs in the front and 300lb in the rear. I was wondering if anyone had the knowledge to read the shock dyno paperwork? It's just squiggly lines to me.

Last edited by don-f on Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:24 am 

I'd contact Lee Grimes, long time SCCA club racer and Koni employee.

I'll see if I can dig up contact info.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:39 pm 

Until Bill get's info try this site "members" e-mail CRX Lee.

David Dewhurst
CenDiv Milwaukee Region
F Prod #14

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:04 pm 

Thank you both for the information. I will try to contact that person.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:58 pm 

Hadn't checked in on this site much since my Runoffs 2016 race were pear shaped and then blew the headgasket in the first session back on track (while qualifying on the pole I might add). My 2017 racing season pretty much wasn't.

Don, I'd be happy to assist you however I can. Those dyno charts provide zero useful info other than showing the shocks basically functional. Since they are adjustable, I would have hoped the tester would have shown them at anything but just minimum setting.

This is definitely best discussed by telephone but please initially send me an email to my work address at lee.grimes@itt.com. Having smartphone issues and so I saw but can't respond to the message that you sent me previously.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:14 am 

Thank you for the reply. I sent you an email with the other min-max charts attached.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:38 pm 

Thank you to Lee and the others here who pointed me in the right direction. I found out what I needed to know.