Check valve in accusump system?

mg_john

I'm planning on adding an Accusump to my 1275 GTL Spridget.

What is the prevailing wisdom on using or not a check valve in the system?

Thanks,

John Hewell

#29 GTL/HP Spridget

I have run an Accusump system both ways with and without the check valve. Before I built a good oil pan I had the low oil pressure light come on 5 or 6 times a lap and the Accusump saved the bearings WITHOUT the check valve, so I know it works without one. However, when I later had oiling issues unrelated to the check valve I put one in just to eliminate the possibility that it was contributing to the problem. So, the short version is, put one in for peace of mind if for no other reason.

Years ago I put an Accusump in my Datsun Roadster with no check valve. I also installed a Canton cartridge type oil filter.

Took me a long while to figure out that I was backflushing the oil filter into the pan through the oil pump whenever the Accusump was emptying - I kept seeing sparkly metal bits in the oil and bottom of pan.

The Canton filter had no anti-backflow valve. Most if not all spinon filters do have a rubber valve - but I'd still want to use a real check valve as I'm not sure if the filter anti backflow is good against 100psi etc.

Al Seim

It all depends on how you are plumbing the accusump into your system. Check Canton's site for recommendations. A check valve is not always needed or wanted depending on the method you use.

We're talking about an in-line check valve correct?

Thinking about this from memory, our non dry-sump path for oil is:

Oil Pan -> Oil Pump -> Oil Filter Sandwich Plate Out -> Remote Filter In -> Remote Filter Out -> Oil Cooler In -> Oil Cooler Out -> Checkvalve -> Accusump "T" Junction -> Oil Filter Sandwich Plate In -> Rest of the engine oil galley -> Drainback to Pan

Depending on the architecture of the oiling system, without a check valve the path of least resistance from the sump might be backwards and I view the valve's most important daily function on our cars is to keep the sump from forcing oil backwards through the filter before start up, pushing debris back into to the pump and pan.

-M

Back