Garmin Catalyst 2

Jay Lutz

Racers.

Looking to purchase new or used. Who has experience with this device???? Seems to be a no brainer for actual on track real time coaching but I doubt the story is that rosy.

I contacted Jesse P and he gives it a big thumbs up. Just looking for corroboration or downsides . Price recently reduced to $800 too!!!! Call is it's easier for you.

Thanks, Jay Lutz 317-473-2124

I have found my Catalyst to be insightful.
The ability to go back and watch your laps and how it calculates your "optimal" lap to compare to is cool.
Record of all lap times, segment times, comparative lines, video.
Data acquisition without the car inputs.

If used as the forward facing camera, it takes an awful long time to download into a shareable file. And once downloaded, it removes the video from the internal video storage. Data remains to review for that session, but the video goes away.
Don't use it for rules compliance for the forward camera.

If you are using a helmet mounted 2 way radio system, it makes it less easy to get the verbal coaching.

Racing Radios made an inline adapter that you can plug a bluetooth receiver into.
https://www.racingradios.com/products/d ... word=video

I have yet to try this, as I have just gotten this set-up for this year.

I got the Ram hard mount. The Catalyst is held in place by a pretty strong magnet, but I'm paranoid about it taking a sudden jolt and coming free. With the hard mount it WON'T come free, unless you take it out. It captures one end completely and cradles the top, bottom, and other end.

Andrew Timmons

Good point Andrew.
I actually had one come loose from the magnet and end up on the floor once. A solid retainer mount is a good idea.

Jesse Prather":2mgnxbkp said:
Good point Andrew.
I actually had one come loose from the magnet and end up on the floor once. A solid retainer mount is a good idea.
For that reason, I don't trust anything in my car that's not bolted down or tethered. I've seen too many camera/ phone/whatever mounts come loose. lots of "free" cameras in the lost & found bin at the local tracks, assuming the lawnmower didn't find them first.

Back