Mini Cooper Racing

TED HEINRITZ

I have a R56 2012 Mini Cooper and I have a few questions, I know a few other are being raced.

1) Is there a easy / good way to tie it down to the trailer? To get the car home I used axle straps around the suspension parts. At the rear this was fairly easy, at the front not so easy. Also I don't think this is the best method! Does anybody make some kind of tie down hooks that bolt to the car? Or does anyone have pictures of something they made that works? The fiesta and the Honda didn't have this issue, but they were already race cars when I bought them.

2) Is there an option for a front spoiler? It seems like anything would go beyond the front bumper. I found a spoiler / splitter kit, but I think it won't pass production rules. The shape of the front end doesn't seem to work with the spoiler rule, not extending forward of the front bumper?

My first step is to make it drivable, currently has salvage title due to minor body damage. After that is done, plan to do a few mods and use it for track day events to get more track time, then continue to make mods to make it H production. Per the rules it seems we are not allowed to do a lot to the car so this might be fairly simple. I think it already has the allowed compression ratio, I could be wrong.

I have the Haynes manual, are there any other books I should look for? Is there a factory book that is available?

Might touch base with Frank Schwartz, he has been building a H Prod Mini. Should be able to find him on Fb or drop me a PM and I'll send contact info.

Thanks guys

I thought about strapping to the wheels, but wondered if the was a product or simple solutions that someone else had already figured out.

I almost have it ready for it's reconstruction inspection, after that I can drive it. Then I can start getting it ready for track day events.

This should be good fun!

Hope everyone has a great new year with great car fun and great racing!

I drilled the rear subframe and installed eyebolts in the rear. There are tow brackets for the rear and front available from Seven Enterprises or other Mini parts suppliers. I would avoid using the front trailing arm parts for tie down as the brackets at the front of the subrame have been known to break off. They should be welded completely around not spot welded as delivered from the factory.
I used a piece of polycarbonate spoiler material sourced from Summit racing and installed a bumper in the standard location to make it SCCA legal in HP. I had to trim the ends to clear the fender flairs.
If you need to talk about your project I would be happy to relate my 48 years of Mini racing knowledge.
Jon

RE: 1) I had to look these up, I haven’t needed them, but I remember we used them to tie down cars when I worked at Honda. It was a super clean way to hook into the factory tie downs and not pull on the wheels or suspension. It looks like there is more than one style, if I remember the Hondas used the double ended one. I assume your 2012 would have slots for one of the styles in the underbody. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mtd-340001

Tie down to the wheels lets the car bounce and is easier on the trailer tires. Tie down to the chassis keeps the car more stable and results in less trailer sway .
There is nothing under an old Honda that I would hook a chain to. :)

Back