prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Seat Insert
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:38 am 

Hi all,
I would like to draw on the wisdom of the group. I have result lose a lot of weight (about 70 pounds). During the last race weekend I was moving in my seat and it is obvious I will need to build a insert for my seat prior to next year as a plan on losing at least another 50 pounds. I have no experience with ding this so I though I'd ask the group for advice on materials and methods to built an insert. I would rather not buy a seat until I lose all the weight. Might be another year. So I think it would be better to build multiple insert in the interim.

Thanks for any help

Dave Reiter
14 FP Mazda 626

Post subject: Re: Seat Insert
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:03 am 

There are molded/pourable foam and bead insert kits which you can use to take up the room. perfect solution to your problem. they're not the cheapest, but they're definitely safe. however, if you're still on the weight loss track (good for you! I need to lose about 75lb myself), you would quickly find yourself not fitting into a moulded seat either, and then you've spent a bunch of money for little gain.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/produ ... oduct=4525

https://www.kirkeyracing.com/product/30 ... INSERT-KIT

another option would be simple foam insert sheets or a combination of both of the above. start with a bead kit now and then add some foam bolsters or something after that as you continue losing weight.

STU Nissan 240SX

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:12 pm 

maybe someone can tell me why this was a bad idea but I have taken a thick big trash bag (job site type), put it in the seat, sat in it and then with several cans of spray foam made an insert. Held up very well for about 6-7 race weekends. Cheap fix.
ez

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:18 pm 

The reason it's a bad idea is fire + "that stuff" = toxic fumes.
the high dollar kits are made from stuff that won't destroy your lungs (as bad?) should you light your interior on fire.
However, for a temp fix or whatever, I'm not gonna judge. slice open an old nomex race suit and cover it with that prior to stuffing it in the car and you're slightly better protected in case the proverbial excrement strikes the rotating air handler.

STU Nissan 240SX

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:18 pm 

They now make "firestop" foam . By the time you buy 6 cans for a seat you could buy the real 2 part bag.
But,, I'm not sure the old style of foam seat kit is fire resistant .
When using cushions ,pads, ect, in a large seat ,make sure that you are still contained inside of the walls . IE dont fall out in a lateral impact.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:56 pm 

Hate to point this out but if your seat is on fire with your a** in it. you have bigger problems if the foam is flammable or not.

I had a Sparco Pro and back issues ( now gone ;) , I had to make an insert in order for me to not think about how bad my back was hurting while driving.

I used 2 part foam in a thick trash bag ( push back in the seat when it expands ! ) remove from bag and trim then cover with felt which stretches and moves well to glue.

If you're not comfy you ain't gonna be fast and it can't go on fire because your ass is protecting it!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:04 pm 

measure your seat and buy one or two Backsaver Pads from Pegasus.
I have a super bad back and these things are the best! they are extremely form fitting and will take up space. good luck with the weight loss.