prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Trailer A/C?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:54 am 

Protech Racing wrote:
Looks like Greg did a really nice job insulating . Pays off .

It made a 35-degree difference in wall temperature when the sun is shining on that side. However, the heat still convects through the verticals to the wall...

blamkin86 wrote:
This can be mitigated with a curtain to limit the AC to just the front half.

I also did this ^^^ so that I didn't have to insulate the whole show, only did the front half.

I painted the front half of the roof with Henry 587 (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Henry-4-75- ... /202091022), and that lowered roof beam temperatures by 20-25*. I've given thought to applying it all along the side of the tailer...a buddy did that with an old RV and it actually didn't look terrible.

blamkin86 wrote:
The heater is absolutely incredible and entirely worth it.

That Dutotherm has a heating element option; I've thought of buying it. But my heating needs are gnerally covered by the Big Buddy propane heater.

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-MH18B- ... B0002WRHE8

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:34 am 

So yeah...no pre-existing insulation, roof vent, or wiring.

I've done a similar solar setup, Greg. I have two panels on the front of the trailer mounted to an armature that tilts up 90 (or 45 for towing aero ;) when at the track. It easily powers all the 12v led lighting that I added, my inverter, and 12v winch.

All great info, gang. Looks like I may have my work cut-out for me. Although, if it doesn't really get cool in the summer, even with insulation, maybe I should save my money.

#13 GT2 Mazda RX7
NER

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:04 am 

The Furion does not have heat AFAIK . Heat?? We did do a race school in Feb at about 38* .

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:35 am 

Running Majors in the SE Div, we've use the heater strip more than the AC. Rollled off the grid at Road Atlanta in 2017 at 38 degrees.

We used the old AC off of our pop up camper. We got the Work Horse 2000 generator from Northern Tool. It worked great running the AC, Frig and lights. The 20+ year old AC died and we got a new one from a RV shop. The generator can't handle the new AC. We're going to have to step up to the 3500 and get a parallel cable. Just be aware of that too.

#10 HP SEDiv 1965 Austin-Healey Sprite
#73 HP SEDiv 1984 Honda CRX

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:08 am 

Another Idea. Portable AC units work great. I got one when my House AC went out a few years ago and it was 100 degrees and there was a week wait to get someone to change a compressor. Loaned it to my Girlfirend the next year when her unit went out. One of the guys that works for me used it this year when his went out at his house until he could get the new system installed.

10K BTU and $350-450. Just need a vent to the outside and that is about the size of a drier vent. You can rig it up a few ways depending on what you want to do with it. Plus you can use it at home in a pinch. I've even seen people use them in tents.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Honeywell-400- ... 1000764282

FP Mazda Miata
EP 1989 RX7
IT7 RX7
2nd Gen STL RX7

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:40 am 

Mazdaseven wrote:
Another Idea. Portable AC units work great.

Honestly, they work "ok", but not well. Even with the front half of my trailer blocked off with a curtain, the portable just could not cut much into the heat and humidity on a strong summer day, even with the walls insulated.

The biggest problem with the portable was two-fold: one, it has to cycle to reject the water out the same hose so it's not always "air conditioning", and two (primarily), it's blowing all the condensor air out the hose so it's pulling in (hot humid) outside air to replace that.

Edit: Three, of course, it did not have the 15k BTUs that the roof A/C has. Four, it takes up floor space.

I now use that portable in my bedroom - at night - for those times I just want to take the humidity edge off that one room. Works ok for that (though it still creates a negative pressure that pulls in air from other rooms). It really didn't work awesome for the trailer on a good sunny hot day.

Old setup, while I was installing the roof A/C:

Last edited by Greg Amy on Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:12 am 

Didn't even think of a portable. I already have a really nice one with separate intake and exhaust hoses. It also runs efficient enough that it doesn't produce condensate. Maybe I'll give that a try first. I've got vents at the front and rear of the trailer (dealer installed). I guess I'll need to tape those off on hot days....and still insulate.

#13 GT2 Mazda RX7
NER

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:00 am 

My portable isn't that great. I would look another direction.

If you decide to get one, be sure and get the dual-hose one.

The single-hose units create a vacuum in the space they're trying to cool - which means any hot air outside of your space is being sucked in by the AC unit, rendering it kinda useless for a trailer.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:17 pm 

I got one when my House AC went out a few years ago and it was 100 degrees and there was a week wait to get someone to change a compressor. Loaned it to my Girlfirend the next year when her unit went out. One of the guys that works for me used it this year when his went out at his house until he could get the new system installed.