prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:03 am 

Hey guys, first post here of many probably.

I was curious to know if anyone is running a dual side draft DCOE 40 weber on their 8v's? And what their experience is with them. Thank you in advance!

EDIT: curious to know more information on a MegaSquirt (MS) \ CIS setup vs dual carb (DCOE 40's)

Scottie

Last edited by reverendbacon on Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:17 am 

I pick that combo to be the fastest VW in the Class. Pretty sure that the WGI track record is held by a Cabrio with twin carbs. The venturi area is about 13% greater than the FI package.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:34 am 

Thanks Mike, that's great to hear. I did not about the record at WGI. I'm in the process of building my 79 rabbit for H prod, trying to do it right the first time. proving somewhat challenging, where are you sourcing your other engine parts (pistons, rods)? Many thanks!

Last edited by reverendbacon on Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:58 am 

I can't talk about the limited prep 8v in H Prod, but I know lots are using MegaSquirt with CIS manifolds. I use dual 45's in GTL but I get choked down with the 24.5mm SIR

#95 GTL VW Rabbit GTI
2014 Runoffs Sunoco Hard Charger - GTL
2016 Western Conference GTL Champion

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:40 pm 

racer_tim wrote:
I can't talk about the limited prep 8v in H Prod, but I know lots are using MegaSquirt with CIS manifolds. I use dual 45's in GTL but I get choked down with the 24.5mm SIR

Hi Tim,
Thanks for the info, much appreciated. Do you know if those guys are running a different injector than stock with the MS system? Or now where or who I may ask to find out more information?

Much appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:55 pm 

PM sent

#95 GTL VW Rabbit GTI
2014 Runoffs Sunoco Hard Charger - GTL
2016 Western Conference GTL Champion

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:10 pm 

I use all of that /.Microsquirt along with all the fixins. I also sell kits for quick start. For the 1.6, the carbs should go faster. I can build both and do back to back dyno test in house.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:39 am 

reverendbacon wrote:
racer_tim wrote:

Hi Tim,
Thanks for the info, much appreciated. Do you know if those guys are running a different injector than stock with the MS system? Or now where or who I may ask to find out more information?

Much appreciated.

In reply to your specific question, the CIS injectors can't be used with any typical modern EFI system. The modern systems meter the fuel by controlling valves in the injector. The CIS injectors don't contain any such valve.

FWIW, though it may(?) not be the ultimate, the CIS if set up correctly does a pretty darn good job on these LP 1.6 engines. I sent my CIS system to David Boles for setup and it shows excellent mixture control via a wideband sensor on dyno and on track.

Al Seim
HP Scirocco 1.6

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:43 am 

reverendbacon wrote:
Thanks Mike, that's great to hear. I did not about the record at WGI. I'm in the process of building my 79 rabbit for H prod, trying to do it right the first time. proving somewhat challenging, where are you sourcing your other engine parts (pistons, rods)? Many thanks!

Again fwiw, I run lightly modified stock rods and custom pistons from Wiseco.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:34 am 

Before you spend too much money on 40dcoe's and manifold, you might want to look at the rules. A 1.6 can use a single 40 DCN or DCNF or fuel injection. A 1.8 has to use fuel injection. 2 40 DCOE's would put you in FP. Go with Electronic with a Mega Squirt

FP MK 3 GTI #79
Boles Motorsports