prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:09 pm 

OK, so I tracked my initial problem to the stock Ignition Control Module that I am controlling with the Megasquirt 3x. Unfortunately, I have now been through 3 ICMs with the last one failing on lap 16.5 of the FP race at Indy.

Since I never want this to happen again, I am looking to change to a proper racing ignition system. I still want the Megasquirt to control timing and when the spark occurs. The MS3 has the ability to do sequential spark control and, I believe, direct control of coils.

I am looking for help and ideas for what others have done, how it has been effectively implemented, and if I am crazy for considering redundant ignition systems...

Thank you!
Bill
92 Saturn SL2

92 Saturn SL2 - SCCA F-Production

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:37 pm 

A lot of squirters use LSx coil packs. There should be good information on the MS forums. My micro has ignition drivers in it so I directly drive an IGN-4 coil pack from DIY Auto Tune. https://www.diyautotune.com/product/ign ... coil-pack/

You can do the same but would also need their quad spark coil driver's. https://www.diyautotune.com/product/qua ... on-module/

They also offer a coil with built in driver. https://www.diyautotune.com/product/ign-1a-race-coil/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm 

Thank you, Chris. I am hoping someone has some direct experience with some of these different options - I do not want the ignition to fail me again!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:48 pm 

Whittlebeast on the Ms forum is Andy Whittle, who knows this stuff like the back of his hand, and does a hell of a job tuning with it as well. He made my car and Chucks car better all week.

I have been running the ign 4 all year and have never thought about ignition coils all season.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:33 am 

Two things:

1) When I ran the MegaSquirt (years ago) I too went through a couple of ignition modules before I figured out the problem. My Dwell setting was so high, I was just basically running the thing too hard and long (THATS WHAT SHE SAID)

2) The Ignition that comes with the electromotives is tried and true. It isn't coil on plug, but I bet there were 100 cars at the runoffs with it.
https://electromotive.com/product-categ ... ion-coils/

As a matter of fact, the coils on the electromotive are the HE coils out of mid-90s GM v8 products. You can even buy replacements for them at summit racing...
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-8224

Look familiar???

BTW (The first time) I quit racing was because of little stuff like this. I have to say, the only problems I had with my new car this year were a dumb stock rubber donut in the driveline, and my very first set of failed spark plugs. As Eric Prill told me some years ago, you can't go fast when you're worrying about the car breaking all the time.

In summary, get the little crap worked out. It's worth it.

--Bill

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:27 pm 

Thank you, Bill. Wasn't Electromotive the vendor that someone was having difficulty getting a hold of just before the runoffs on this board? I'll check the archives.

I understand the fixing the small things - will be spending next year focussed on development and getting all of the little things fixed. And focusing on driver development...

Bill

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:37 am 

Also, checked the dwell settings for the current ignition system - currently set at 3ms. This was not wildly out of the norm, but may still be too much for that control module. There are reports on the internet (which mean they have to be true) of other saturn owners (albeit 3 of them) running as high as 25ms. I believe that to be WAY out of bounds and do not plan to try it.

Bill

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:28 am 

Hopefully I gave some reasonable info there.

It's been way too many years ago, but I think I fried the coils at 4ms. 25ms is insane, but maybe it works for some other set of coils.

Yes, absolutely, electromotive is very hard to get in touch with. I have to bother Jesse Prather when I need something from them, and he usually gets a call back pretty quickly as he is a trusted reseller.

The good news is, these coils are dead nuts simple. It's a charge wire, fire wire, ground wire. Plus some coils. Honestly, you buy the original setup and forget it. If you're worried about frying coils, buy the original setup, and a couple spares from summit. They just plug right in the electromotive board.

HTH
--Bill

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:49 am 

I agree with Bill's sentiment, and have fought a battle in it's own right to get mine running right, but once it is there it is there. The newer MS stuff is a lot better at these things than my 10 year old minimal footprint micro. I am planning an MS3x going forward, as the support seems strong, the performance level is very high in terms of processing, inputs, outputs, it logs itself right to an SD card, it is (relatively) easy to do individual cylinder tuning by adding a sensor to pick up a cam lobe and adding egt to the header primaries.

For your situation, I would use IGN-4 coil pack and quad spark coil driver. Be sure to get DIY input on dwell settings, and you should not have issues.

If someone were asking me advice on getting a new system, I would say look at MS3x, and run LS coils.

If you want simple, sorted and easy look at SDS, if they are still around.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:32 pm 

Alright, I'm a bit confused. Can I run LS coils direct from the MS3x, or do I need something like the quadspark to fire the coils? Either way, I think I am closing in on what will be going on the Christmas list...

Thank you!