Kershaw Majors

RussMyers

Ok, I managed to stay out of every body's way and not cause any monster wrecks. Yes, I was slow. But after a 10 year layoff I don't think I did that badly. One ninth, one eighth, and a car with all the fenders still attached. And I do plan to get faster. And Will's CRX is WICKED fast.

Russ.

Which car were you Russ? Blue TR8 here.

It was pretty amazing what Mr. Perry did with the FP CRX. That track favors that car I think but still, he was just four seconds off the EP pole, and finished what, 4th overall?

Nice. It's always good to finally have a reliable weekend at the track after a rough spot.

Are you talking about Will Perry? I don't recall if there is an FP classification for CRXen, but his is definitely HP.

chois":4l5nxbsd said:
Nice. It's always good to finally have a reliable weekend at the track after a rough spot.

Are you talking about Will Perry? I don't recall if there is an FP classification for CRXen, but his is definitely HP.

Yes it is a HP car but very quick

Jeffyoung":3kk4vvqa said:
Which car were you Russ? Blue TR8 here.

It was pretty amazing what Mr. Perry did with the FP CRX. That track favors that car I think but still, he was just four seconds off the EP pole, and finished what, 4th overall?

I was in the white Fiesta #96. Yes, I have a BUNCH of work to do. And you have a very pretty car. But I am curious. Why a coupe and not a Ken Slagle style roadster?

harvey":g2z8vi7b said:
chois":g2z8vi7b said:

Yes it is a HP car but very quick

Yep. I know that for sure.

Yeah I think that was a first outing for Vesa’s new car. He’ll get faster for sure.
The starship looks awesome in the pictures I saw Jeff. Glad things are working with that thing.

I admit that I know nothing about CMP, but has that track got slower over the years? I noticed that all of the Prod track records were set back in 2008. Will finally beat the HP record last weekend,

Fastest race lap by class last weekend:
EP - Doug Piner - BMW Z3 - 1:46.126
FP - Mike Kamalian - Mazda Miata - 1:46.814
HP - Will Perry - Honda CRX - 1:49.690

Track records:
EP - Buddy Norton - Caterham 7 - 1:41.838
FP - Tom Lyman - Acura Integra - 1:42.441
HP - Tim Pitts - VW Golf - 1:50.351

I think Peter broke the track record last year in his Caterham at a 1:40.xx but I may be wrong.

That said CMP is one of those tracks that is just really dependent on weather/sun, and has worn over the years. It was as slick as I can recall it in many years this weekend, and most folks said the same. Plus we were group six so we got the track "late" in they day and that can, honestly, mean a second or two on times. Doug and I were both in the low 45s in qual in the morning sessions on saturday and Sunday.

I ran a 42 in testing last September, and Doug remembered running someting like that in May of last year.

Track was hot and slow and i personally hadn't been there since the 90's when we ran in ITS. Just jumped into qual (there was no practice session) feet first lol. Funny thing was the GTL lap record was beat at a 1:55 something. I can see a 1:42on a fall/winter cool day with brand new tires and proper gearing. I personally couldn't get out of 4th gear anywhere as the car is setup for vir and i didn't want to change it for just a last qualifying race. Had a cut in a tire from sat race but thought would be fine - well, it wasn't so 4 laps in on sunday got a flat. Now for all the bodywork and other improvements to try and keep up with the acuras at the runoffs.

The track was repaved last year and also reconfigured a bit. Will Perry has been fast for years in that car. He won IT in it for years at the ARRC and HP when he converted. Plus, he finished a close second at the 2019 VIR Runoffs (Vesa won).
One of most fun races I ever had was at Daytona with defending HP National Champion Adam Malley, Runoffs poll sitter Kevin Allen in GP and me in my FP. We traded positions numerous times every lap and Adam won, Kevin 2nd and me 3rd. Our laps times were almost identical. So, when you race the best, be prepared to be humbled.

The repave was only partial and seems to have worn already. They did cut the curbing down some and there is more pavement on corner exit, which helps, but last weekend was "old" CMP to me -- basically a drift through the carousel once the track got hot in the afternoon.

Will's car would be affected the least by this with the lightweight -- what are those cars, 1800 lbs or something?

CMP is a weird track. But in a good way. Some people thin it is a torque track, others a momentum track (the SMs do really well there v. higher hp cars). It's really both. You can make time in a high hp/torque car if the grip is there, but if it gets slidy in the afternoon, it can be a momentum car track.

I love the place.

I had a lot of fun racing with all of you. I had not been to CMP for several years and it was nice to see all of the upgrades.

Lost a freeze plug right at the wave of the green flag on Saturday so got to watch all of you from the corner stand at turn 3.
Jeff, the Triumph sounds glorious as you drive down that short chute to turn 4.
Les, you also seemed to be flying through that section of the track.

Sunday was better but the car was not cooperating. Car would not stay in second gear, so I was learning how to drive through 12, 13 and 14 one handed! Basically, I tried to stay out of everyone's way and made sure I could load the car back on the trailer on Sunday unscathed.

I can confirm (while being passed) that the carousel is one continuous "drift" for Jeff in the TR8...

Driftin' aint fast. And hard on the tires....lol....

The MG looked awesome. Sorry for the mechanical difficulties. Are you trying to make a shot at the runoffs? That car would be one of the prettiest there in production. Very well done.

CMP is very temperature sensitive. Have dropped 3 seconds in hot afternoon sun. Just a product of track layout that rewards cornering speed. Tire wear is very minimal after repave. By Sunday we had a lot of oil down so lap times suffered. Many of the track records were set at March race weekends in the past. We were historically 3 seconds a lap faster at the early race.

Back