WWTR aka Gateway

Todd Benne

For those of you whom participated in the June 19-20 Majors at Gateway, I would be interested in your thoughts as to the 2.0 configuration, general track observations, pavement(grip, tire wear etc), event overall etc. TIA

Todd I wasn't there however did get a lot of feedback from a few customers that attended.
The bottom line is that they left after Saturday because of the configuration. Two turns below 30mph isn't a proper road course. Gateway had two great spots, turn two and then the high speed chicane turns 3/4. Those are gone now. I'd suggest you guys never run that configuration again. Just my 2 cents.

I was on the fence about attending in the offshoot chance work clears up in the fall to allow the Runoffs to work for me.

The course configuration nailed the coffin for me. You don't always have to try everything once to have an opinion that you wont like it. :think:

Thank you both for your replies. While I am not a part of the STL Region road racing program, I am on the Region BoD and am the Solo Program Chair. I was/am curious to know what participants think of the track and why subscription to the STL events is so minimal?

I have heard from some both in the past and now recently that the track is not friendly to tires and either the 1.6 or 2.0 configuration just doesn't entice racers. This past weekend the common theme was they took a bad track and made it worse with the 2.0 deal.

Again, I appreciate any feedback.

I attended both days, so here are my 2 cents.
The new configuration is just too tight. Luckily, as far as I know, our large run group had no crashes in the tight stuff.
I know a lot of people were complaining about the slow speed corners, but I never had to use 2nd gear in my car. I have used it at times at Hallett's turn 2.
The curbing is quite high, so even if you tried to jump the curbing to make a pass, you're likely to damage something in the long run.
Lack of tires along the inside track wall.
Tire wear and the subsequent "other peoples rubber" getting picked up. I would say that I had about 5 decent laps before the grip went away and the vibrations started from all the buggers inside of my wheels. I know that they had the sweeper out as much as possible, so I know they are trying to keep it clean.
The high temperatures and Fathers day probably kept quite a few people home.

It didn't bother me that much to be honest...

I did miss the original turn 2 which is one of my favorite turns at that track along with turn 10 (old 6?)... We looked at it pretty close before the races with dimensions etc, so we knew what we were going to see. I can see how others didn't like it, but I enjoy tight sections too. It's a different approach, and I don't mind. I also like the "tight" version of T8/9 at HPT. I passed a few cars in the tight sections and went side by side with a GTL car through new 5/6... I got to do some Nascar, some autocross (with other cars), and some road racing all at the same time. Maybe a little drifting too if you count how slimy turn 10 gets :D

Is it my favorite track, no... But neither is the 1.6 mile version. But it's not all bad for me...

In the end, perhaps those of us that enjoyed it, will still attend the 1.6, but those who hate it, may not attend the 2.0????

I'll try to put up youtube of saturday later tonight

Sam

I ran on Sunday. My car has a really good 1st gear so the slow stuff was not a problem for me but the new turns don't flow well and the transition on to the banking does not work well. The turn off of the back stretch into the infield was way too tight. Not really very enjoyable and not an improvement.

As far as the original configuration, I liked it allot. It is the first track I ever raced on - Super School 2003. I also had one of my best races in IT7 there in 2009. The original configuration flowed really well and turn 2 and the 3-4 chicane are really kick ass. You would really develop a rhythm and there were passing opportunities in allot of places.

As always every track official and worker was super nice and helpful last weekend. Coming to StL to race has always been enjoyable and I appreciated the ability to squeak out a finish with my miss-firing POS.

so here is my saturday race... Please keep in mind that I had a family medical issue and had to miss practice and qualifying. that's why I'm starting from back and still learning the track... We were a little quicker on sunday as we picked up the pace in turn 1 (didn't want to bend the car before indy)...

Sam

https://youtu.be/BQ6pi6VBpW4

S. Henry":10pywlqf said:
so here is my saturday race... Please keep in mind that I had a family medical issue and had to miss practice and qualifying. that's why I'm starting from back and still learning the track... We were a little quicker on sunday as we picked up the pace in turn 1 (didn't want to bend the car before indy)...
You looked like you were in a hurry to get somewhere.

I'm not a fan of that tall curbing or what looks like a harsh transition from infield to oval. Sam looked like he managed the tight stuff without an issue, that autocross background shining through.

Brian

I only was on track Sunday.
After walking the new section Saturday evening, I raised the front an inch to avoid wiping off the new air dam on it’s first outing.

The gearing in my car made the new section to my advantage vs the guys I was racing, but I’d only run that configuration in the future as a last resort to get Runoffs qualified.

rekcik15":1c3bpjcq said:
Anybody got video of this layout? Super curious what all the hubbub is about.

Sam posted some video about 3/4 of the way down the first page of this thread:

S. Henry":1c3bpjcq said:

Sam

https://youtu.be/BQ6pi6VBpW4

It was very very hot!!! My first ever weekend with a cool shirt and it is an absolute game changer! Very much worth the cost. While I liked the old configuration better, the new one wasn’t awful. The transition onto the bank off turn 3 (1&2 on the oval) is pretty significant. Tire wear was pretty minimal but I was not pushing the car. Only 3 of us in EP so not a ton of “racing.”

For what it was I think the region did a great job with the event. The food truck Saturday night was excellent! Also a huge thank you to Peter Zekert for his help Saturday night. I hit something (still can’t tell what is was) and it put a nice hole in one of the header pipes. We got it off and beat the dent out as best as we could and Peter took it home and welded it up for us. Each time we have been over there he has been making sure everyone in attendance is having fun, which is what it’s all about!

If St Louis is run again next year (either Configuration) we will likely head back. Met some really good people over there too amd looking forward to seeing them again at Indy (assuming we get there)!

Last note; I live 35 minutes from the Speedway in Indy. Once the runoffs start don’t hesitate to reach out for recommendations in there area (especially food, I like to eat)!!

Steven Jeffers

Back