prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:18 am 

There should have been a double row of tires where Ralf hit.

It looks like you're pointed right at a very stiff wall on the normal line, and the chances are high of going off if you go in there side by side and have a little touch.

They're cheap and in my experience, very effective.

Glad you both are ok.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:12 am 

There used to be a 4 or 5 deep tire wall there. I got around the same place as Ralph a few years ago and it didn’t do much damage at all, I drove the car all weekend

Aaron

#08 EP Honda S2000
Member #310579

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:04 am 

Glad to see that some of you are already taking advantage of in car communications. And yes, our short track series cars also have the in car light that immediately goes yellow right in front of the driver when a caution is called. It saves a lot of wear and tear on the cars and drivers plus untold clean up time. These guys are turning 15 second laps and when there's 28 of these cars (field we have for Friday night at Ace Speedway), things happen fast. And we do not require in car cameras (we film it all from 4 positions). My biggest concern in SCCA is having the right person on the radio in the tower. It takes a special person to be in control. I actually ended up being in control of my very first race as back up from the spotters stand. Tower control went down and it was just me. Managed to throw a caution and get the field slowed up without further incident (car spun out to bring out caution).

Hey, if you are in the area of Burlington, NC, come see us at Ace Speedway in Elon NC Friday night or the following Saturday night at the famous Hickory Motor Speedway in Hickory, NC. Toni and I are at the CARS Tour registration for pit entry. At Hickory, we will start 28 cars on a .325 mile track. And just as you were thinking wrecks galore, I'll tell you we ran the last three races there with no cautions, a total of 426 straight green flag laps.

V8 Road Racing Series Administrator
Runoffs Line Chief Tech Prod cars

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:48 am 

FP Racer wrote:
At Hickory, we will start 28 cars on a .325 mile track. And just as you were thinking wrecks galore, I'll tell you we ran the last three races there with no cautions, a total of 426 straight green flag laps.

Wow.. our local asphalt oval looks more like a Bowman Gray highlight reel.. a 40 lap main feature needs 2x the fuel because they spend more time under caution than they do racing.

STU Scion FR-S

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:13 am 

The concept is there, but how regularly do we go full course yellow? I would say I race an average to high average amount each year, I've been racing for 10 years, I've been under full course yellow less than 5 times. All that said, every time was a C.F. in line with whats being described in this thread.

There is no current technology that would do local yellows that are unique to road racing.

I think the cheap way out is to park the field and sort it out. But that will ultimately rob the drivers of their paid time while they try to figure it out. The hope would be without everyone circulating, they can communicate quicker and make it happen without mistake. :eh:

#38 EP BMW

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:52 am 

FP Racer wrote:
... My biggest concern in SCCA is having the right person on the radio in the tower. It takes a special person to be in control. ...

^^ This.

Managing an FCY depends on the operating steward, the communicator, and the safety car driver being on their game.

Remember that the purpose of an FCY is to get the field under control and give the EV crew space to work while minimizing the impact on the drivers' race. The entire point is to get the field into a compact group, creating space for the rescue people.

The rule of thumb for drivers is very simple: Leader slow drastically until the safety car takes control; everybody else catch up quickly and safely.

Having to stop the race is bad in two respects. It reduces the race for the drivers. And a stop/restart can easily bollix up the scoring.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:21 pm 

that was a hard hit ralf… I'm making a mental note to not lean too hard on a car that's not working!!!

I'd like communication with officials ….if it's two way....

Sam

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:37 pm 

Sam, our drivers can communicate back and it is thru their spotters who I direct during the races. We get a lot of good information such as debris or oil on track, someone brake checking on start, etc. An example was at our last race, on the pace laps, a car lost a differential plug and put down synthetic gear oil. You can not see it but the drivers immediately felt it even at low speed. Several drivers called their spotters and the spotters told me. I communicated with our race director and we brought the cars back in the pits and spent 20 minutes cleaning up the track. Had we not got that information, the race would have started on a totally unsafe track and we would have wrecked half the field in turn 1.

I think in a few more years, SCCA will catch up with most short tracks on this item. And for those of you who already have radios, use them to notify your crew of unsafe conditions. Some of the newer oils are tough to see and a corner worker may not know that the track is oiled down. You can tell the pit worker and they can notify control.

V8 Road Racing Series Administrator
Runoffs Line Chief Tech Prod cars

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:11 pm 

Why did St. Louis get rid of the tire walls? I know they caused Chuck to soft roll 10 years ago, but way less damage than Ralf's car. He drove it back to pit lane... I noticed they were gone on my first lap. Catch fence too. Seems like we can do better than concrete barriers... My data shows 85-90 mph where Ralf went off. Pretty fast for a pretty square hit :cry: In all honesly... it needs the air barriers like Hallett has and tire wall behind that. Then copy it in Turn 1... St Louis = car eliminator. I like the track and the folks, but really....

Sam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7