prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:46 am 

Jesse Prather wrote:
When the two of them went past the pace car I said to myself, these guys are going to get screwed, so I went on around the pace car that was trying to pick me up as the leader. This led to a couple of more laps before a black flag.

Why in the world would you do that? Were you waved past by the pace car? If not then I'm actually surprised you were not hit with a penalty for ignoring officials' directions.

Those two guys wouldn't "get screwed", they would have had a lap up on everyone else (which would have eventually been resolved). Even so, it's not your responsibility as a driver - especially not as the leading driver, because you weren't - to "unscrew" the race for others.

Honestly, Jesse, based on your description it sounds like you may have actually screwed up the race session for everyone else.

Greg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:42 am 

Jesse's summary is pretty good... I might add a little...

T/S and/or pace car screwed up the race... I tried to wave (pace car) off when they pointed me by, but after a number of tries I figured I had to do as instructed and went by the pace car. If they wanted me to win by a lap, then that's on them... when david and jesse came with me, I kinda paced us about 30 seconds behind the group in case there was a restart that the three of us wouldn't be trying to pass 20 cars down the front straight!!!!!

black flag all. We get one of those 5 second long one minute warnings...

and then a green/white/checker that exceeds race length (per my understanding/interpretation)

I dropped my protest on the contact for two reasons. 1. a real apology and no previous issues with this driver, (fool me once shame on.....) 2. I honestly feel this happened after the race was/(should have been) over.

I am fully appealing the second protest about the length of the race. I'm not going to go into the details here, but I think the case is really solid. I'm just putting together the document packet. I have 10 days to complete that... they changed the results based on the protest, but still not to the correct lap as I understand the race documentation and rules. But, I will share everything after a decision is made on the appeal...

It was a messed up race in a way, but it wasn't Jesse who messed it up.... It was race control or whatever that had the pace car trying to pick up the wrong car... And it wasn't like we just passed jesse or anything... that was a couple laps earlier...

by dropping the protest on contact, I realize I can't complain about it... I'm now officially part of a different problem :mrgreen: :ask: :roll: :wink:

Sam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:31 am 

Hate to hear that Ralf crashed. Is he ok?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:36 am 

Just when you think you have seen everything...…………….

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:01 am 

Hey Sam, our free ice cream at Roebling Road keeps sounding better & better, right?

Never have been able to figure out why SCCA can't get the pick up the leader correctly when most laps are over a minute and a half while we can do it on the short tracks with 16 second lap times. Oh, wait, all our drivers have radios and can communicate indirectly with control. Maybe that is the reason, you think? And we have a person in control who knows how to do it. Not saying some stewards don't. :roll:

V8 Road Racing Series Administrator
Runoffs Line Chief Tech Prod cars

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:15 am 

That has baffled me for some time as well.

the other thing that baffles me is how many people will immediately slow to 40-50mph and cruise when under FCY, never catching up to the lead pack...

STU Scion FR-S

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:44 am 

This biggest hurdle is not "not" being able to communicate with the drivers -- many (though not all) drivers already have the ability to communicate with team members in the pits. The problem is stewards not being able to communicate with the teams.

When I was managing a Koni Challenge car, all car chiefs and teams were required to monitor the steward's 'net. That way the stewards could communicate to the teams, who could then communicate to the drivers.

We in SCCA Club don't require any of that, and most teams choose not to monitor the steward's net. I, on the other hand, actually drive with a dual-freq radio in my car so I can not only talk to the team, and I can monitor the steward's net. When I helping someone else while in the pits, I'm monitoring both freqs as well.

A lot of drivers find radios distracting and don't want them. I think they're wrong. Used well (and sparingly), radio communication to drivers can be a valuable tool.

I'd enforce manadatory scanners for the teams and/or earbuds in drivers' ears before I'd mandate video cameras.

What's-his-name's yellow-lights system in cars goes a long way toward that, too.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:27 am 

not to say it wouldn't help some, but I put my tent in the camp that it's another distraction looking for a cause. the flags at corner stations and start tell me what I need to know from an operations point. I can see with my own two eyes the exact situation and respond appropriately. (other tracks have much less visibility and having a radio to inform me of a car stopped in a blind turn would be important).

but for our area? track is as flat as a board and I can see almost anything happening 15 seconds before I get there. radios are only a distraction.

STU Scion FR-S

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:31 am 

Race-ceivers are mandatory at the dirt tracks now. They cost about $100. I would love to see it instituted with SCCA.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:25 pm 

JimStevens92 wrote:
Race-ceivers are mandatory at the dirt tracks now. They cost about $100. I would love to see it instituted with SCCA.

Analog, I presume. One of the challenges is that some tracks have converted exclusively to digital radios while some leave the radios to the regions. On top of that, the tracks on digital won't release the programming information to enable two way communication. Not important in the situation under discussion, but for personal hygiene reasons, I like to use my own radio/ear piece/mic/headset.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next