prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:39 am 

tschreyer wrote:

I don't think it's out of line to get that adjustment in front of membership as fast as possible. If people don't think there is a chance in hell at running this year, and SCCA goes radio silent without dangling the carrot, then everyone is going to spend their racing budget on toilet paper.

I'm already rethinking mine, if that's not obvious.

Although I will never understand why people are hoarding toilet paper for a respiratory illness.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:42 am 

Joe Harlan wrote:
I get what you are saying but any adjustment announced prematurely is going to hurt regions financially. I know there are a lot of regions out there that can take that hit. I am sure that now that the runoffs have been given back to the east coast guys they will do what ever it takes to show up.

Any well-run regions are already in touch with tracks, canceling near-term events etc. The tracks are also likely going to suffer some financial hardship. Heck, some tracks are closed, I assume that you get your money back if you had an event.

"Protecting" the regions sounds great, but it's time to start thinking larger than that.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:15 am 

Race any 4 weekends( Majors or Regionals).
Go to Runoffs, qualify. Race.
Those that are over the 115% of the leaders get black flagged at 3 laps.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:44 am 

^^^^This.

#13 GT2 Mazda RX7
NER

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:00 am 

Protech Racing wrote:
Race any 4 weekends( Majors or Regionals).

That’s assuming there is 4 weekends to race. And if those 4 weekends are 4 weekends in a row that’s brutal.

Enforce the 115% and call it good or even 110% and enforce it on qualifying so only those at the cutoff in qualifying unless by good reason, only those at 115 of the pole time start.

#08 EP Honda S2000
Member #310579

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:09 am 

I picked 4 races because;
It's all about me :) I have 2 already ..

next. I figure we'll be racing or dead by mid June . That leaves plenty of weekends left.

4 races will help the regions pay for things .
4 races show a commitment to SCCA .

It's a lot easier to reduce the race number than to add to the race number required. 3 might be more reasonable .
Or 4 races finished. Include double regionals . Majors have 2 per also.

I also believe that anyone that makes this commitment should take the Runoffs' green flag. If they are stupid slow and over the 115% ,they park on lap 3 . They may have spent a large part of their disposable income , just like the front runners.
This is amateur racing . Nobody cares. Nobody is watching. It's all about the experience. The venue. The people . The beer.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:16 am 

I haven't run the dates for all Divisional/Majors like I did solely the Majors, but I believe there are multiple divisions that do not have 4 events from June-22Sep (Runoffs cutoff qualifying date).

This is the dynamic part of what SCCA decides if it revolves around having to have some number of events under your belt. This number will need to reflect the least amount of events not conducted in any one region until 22Sep. Its messy with some div's getting races in, then cancelling mid season etc.

SE, S, Western divs fall into this category.

#38 EP BMW

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:28 am 

Even if you run just a bunch of regionals - assuming that the majority of Supertour and Majors events are cancelled - you'd be going to the RO with some sort of competitive edge on, you won't be going rusty. The way the schedule is set in NeDiv, it may be that we won't get the green flag to go racing until July, which would leave only NJMP as the sole majors available.

#27 H Prod Midget
WDC Region

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:21 am 

That's my point, there likely wont be opportunity in some cases, even if only Divisional races (regionals)

#38 EP BMW

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:19 pm 

SOWDIV's schedule for this year:
Jan. 25-26 Polar Prix, MSR Cresson Majors Divisional Races, SWRRC Points, Runoffs Eligible
Feb. 8-9 Lone Star Grand Prix, COTA 2-Day Southern Conference Super Tour, SWRRC Points, Runoffs Eligible
April 4-5 Hallett Super Tour, Hallet Raceway This event was cancelled Mar 21, 2020
May 2-3 Sunburn Grand Prix, Eagles Caynon Raceway Majors Divisional Races, SWRRC Points, Runoffs Eligible
May 23-24 Fun In The Sun Triple, MSR Houston Majors Divisional Races, SWRRC Points, Runoffs Eligible
Sept. 5-6 Labor Day Triple , MSR Houston Majors/Year End SWRRC Divisional Races, SWRRC Points, Runoffs Eligible

So there's 1 majors and 1 super Tour done already, one Super tour cancelled...
*IF* we go back racing in May- key question here- there are still three Majors events left in SOWDIV. if you want to race in June, July, August, you have to travel >1000 miles to another division. That's a no-go for a working dad like myself, but I'm not planning to make the race. more posting for the fact that drivers in our area still have a chance to qualify the "traditional path" if we get back to racing by May.

Obviously when we go back to racing will be a key factor for everyone.

STU Scion FR-S

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next