prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:10 am 

Greg Amy wrote:
Sit tight, this ride has only just begun. Something will come of this.

We're on the front edge of the pandemic. If people stay away from each other, it'll last longer but less people will get it, and even less people will die.

No one basically has the foggiest idea when state-wide social gathering bans will be lifted.

I realize we want to have a runoffs this year (I am/was planning on going) but it's just super premature to know what to do yet.

If no more events get canceled, vs no racing until August - the qualification paths would be entirely different.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:29 am 

Ron, I think they should just let everyone in that wants to come. From what I see that's pretty much what it is these days anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:36 am 

Yep. but as others have said, STRICTLY enforce the 115%.

STU Scion FR-S

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:49 am 

It's neat to be all optimistic and stuff, but look at a few things first:

There are 30 Majors events that have either taken place or have not been cancelled to date.

May alone, makes up 1/3 of all Majors events across all conf's, period. That's going to be the make or break in my opinion.

After May until Sept, the balance of the schedule across all conf's makes up ~1/3 of all events.

After May, the Western conf. is done, and the Southern conf. only has 1 more event. (granted these are 2 of the 3 conf's that have run events to date).

So to say that everyone getting a "free pass" to the Runoffs is what is going to break the bank for the regions isn't really true because there likely isn't going to be much of a schedule left to pull in cash anyway.

I would plan on being creative with how you funnel money to the regions similarly to something like Jim suggested, because you aren't going to get there if you miss May, and its not going to have anything to do with how you orchestrate the Runoffs qualification.

#38 EP BMW

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:11 am 

As someone who generally runs in back 1/3 of the field I have no problem with enforcing the 115% rule as long as that is very clear that is going to be enforced up front. That way we can decide if it's worth the time and expense to go to the runoffs and risk going home after final practice and qualifying.

Dave Reiter
#14 FP Mazda 626

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:37 pm 

[quote="FP Racer"]Joe is a very smart man.

quote]

Jim, Appears to be running a fever....:)

Joe Harlan Member #175515

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:39 pm 

tschreyer wrote:
It's neat to be all optimistic and stuff, but look at a few things first:

There are 30 Majors events that have either taken place or have not been cancelled to date.

May alone, makes up 1/3 of all Majors events across all conf's, period. That's going to be the make or break in my opinion.

After May until Sept, the balance of the schedule across all conf's makes up ~1/3 of all events.

After May, the Western conf. is done, and the Southern conf. only has 1 more event. (granted these are 2 of the 3 conf's that have run events to date).

So to say that everyone getting a "free pass" to the Runoffs is what is going to break the bank for the regions isn't really true because there likely isn't going to be much of a schedule left to pull in cash anyway.

I would plan on being creative with how you funnel money to the regions similarly to something like Jim suggested, because you aren't going to get there if you miss May, and its not going to have anything to do with how you orchestrate the Runoffs qualification.

You all forget there is a divisional path and plenty of those races all summer long.. you could still race your way in..

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:10 am 

Many states, like Georgia, have state-wide bans on large groups of people. Denver proper and other cities too.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atlant ... LKLG3Y7NU/

I don’t think I will have the opportunity to race locally before July.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:51 am 

Joe Harlan wrote:

You all forget there is a divisional path and plenty of those races all summer long.. you could still race your way in..

Yes, you are right, but if you solely rely on that, I think one should plan on the Runoffs being poorly attended.

Here's why I think that,

History has shown that most back to back type events simply distribute the overall potential attendees over 1 of the 2 events. Largely in part due to financial and time commitments. Dear Wife doesn't want to do the racing thing 3 out of the 4 weekends a month, or you need to spread that across a couple pay periods to make it work. If you try to condense a normal season into basically 2-3 months, you will suffer entries at the qualifying events themselves (but that's probably going to happen anyway) and thus at the Runoffs as well.

Now I get it, we're all speculating on the course of events that will transpire with this shutdown period. April is gone IMO, it's too early to call May yet, but the trajectory isn't looking promising. But I think its good that the SCCA has eluded to looking at an adjustment, and I don't think it's out of line to get that adjustment in front of membership as fast as possible. If people don't think there is a chance in hell at running this year, and SCCA goes radio silent without dangling the carrot, then everyone is going to spend their racing budget on toilet paper.

#38 EP BMW

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:38 am 

tschreyer wrote:
Joe Harlan wrote:

Yes, you are right, but if you solely rely on that, I think one should plan on the Runoffs being poorly attended.

Here's why I think that,

History has shown that most back to back type events simply distribute the overall potential attendees over 1 of the 2 events. Largely in part due to financial and time commitments. Dear Wife doesn't want to do the racing thing 3 out of the 4 weekends a month, or you need to spread that across a couple pay periods to make it work. If you try to condense a normal season into basically 2-3 months, you will suffer entries at the qualifying events themselves (but that's probably going to happen anyway) and thus at the Runoffs as well.

Now I get it, we're all speculating on the course of events that will transpire with this shutdown period. April is gone IMO, it's too early to call May yet, but the trajectory isn't looking promising. But I think its good that the SCCA has eluded to looking at an adjustment, and I don't think it's out of line to get that adjustment in front of membership as fast as possible. If people don't think there is a chance in hell at running this year, and SCCA goes radio silent without dangling the carrot, then everyone is going to spend their racing budget on toilet paper.

I get what you are saying but any adjustment announced prematurely is going to hurt regions financially. I know there are a lot of regions out there that can take that hit. I am sure that now that the runoffs have been given back to the east coast guys they will do what ever it takes to show up.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next