prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:30 pm 

With so many races being cancelled, surely the club will have to revise the participation requirements for this year's Runoffs, assuming that we are out of this mess by then. The new requirements for 2020 had a requirement for points earned through finishes of regular season races. The plan was to do away with the start and park game that some people played, myself included, and require more than to just attend three Majors as it was before.

For this year's race, I would suggest that a good starting point for invitations would be to invite last year's participants. Add to that any additional drivers that earned enough points to qualify under this year's new rules or some modified version of them.

If you agree with this suggestion please write a letter to the CRB and BOD.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:07 pm 

Are you saying last years’ participants don’t have to race this year to be qualified?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:15 am 

Excellent idea. Screw those West coast drivers who sat out last year. Shame on them for not driving all the way across the country like so many East coasters failed to do when the Runoffs was on the West coast. Qualifying per the rules as currently laid out isn't really a great plan as two of the races we in the NW were planning on attending to get qualified got cancelled. Now we only have two. And if they get cancelled? Right now our best case scenario is if Laguna gets rescheduled to June 6th which leaves us having to run 3 races in 4 weeks and forget the June Sprints... What a mess...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:52 am 

dhrmx5 wrote:
Excellent idea. Screw those West coast drivers ….....
OK. How about everyone that QUALIFIED for last year's Runoffs. Or, invite everyone that wants to come. Point is, how do you meet participation requirements when there are no races to participate in? The only alternative is to either not have the race at all, or have such small fields that many classes don't meet the threshold for National Champions.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:10 am 

Via stewards' channels:

"Topeka has already announced they are evaluating a revised Runoffs’ qualification process should too many events that provide Runoffs’ qualification points be cancelled or deferred."

Sit tight, this ride has only just begun. Something will come of this.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:04 am 

I was (and still am) fully against the 'participation trophy' invitation to the Runoffs and applauded the BOD for the revised qualification criteria for 2020. However, given the circumstances this year, I fully agree that something must change for the 2020 Runoffs. With so many people getting hit financially and losing jobs during this crisis, I have to imagine participation will be significantly down across the board.

Why not do something as simple as FINISH one race in any division, and you're qualified. And then strictly enforce the 115% rule and don't let anyone beyond it complete more than 1 or 2 race laps at Road America so they don't mess up the leaders' race.

Let's face it... the Runoffs needs to get high entries to not bankrupt the club. SCCA pro racing does that enough... This would be a decent way to do everything possible to ensure that.

#37 HP Sprite
Goodyear/Red Line/Scott Young Enterprises/Stinnett, Padrutt & Aranyosi/AllState

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:16 am 

As I think maybe I posted elsewhere, why not (in this year's extraordinary circumstance) waive participation requirements completely and just enforce the 115% rule? Could always add an "experience" requirement (must have entered x many races since getting licensed), but honestly the previous rules didn't mandate much experience. Or allow anyone who qualified last year OR this year.

I won't be there again this year regardless, but want to see the best possible event under the circumstances.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:02 am 

Al Seim wrote:
As I think maybe I posted elsewhere, why not (in this year's extraordinary circumstance) waive participation requirements completely and just enforce the 115% rule? Could always add an "experience" requirement (must have entered x many races since getting licensed), but honestly the previous rules didn't mandate much experience. Or allow anyone who qualified last year OR this year.

I won't be there again this year regardless, but want to see the best possible event under the circumstances.

This is the most logical answer for everyone that should, would, or could qualify in the wake of all the cancellations. This still maintains whatever authenticity of the event that remains, and in the event that this thing significantly messes up a good portion of most peoples season, grants them, new to the runoffs or not the ability to do the damn thing.

#38 EP BMW

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:28 am 

How about we don't worry about this crap until we get through this deal...Maybe there will be no runoffs if this doesn't get fixed. You screw every region in the country if you lower the standards today. if nobody has to qualify regions cant hold races.

Joe Harlan Member #175515

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:23 pm 

Joe is a very smart man.

Guys, come up with a plan that does not put all the racing Regions out of business. Just allowing everyone to just enter the Runoffs is not the solution.

But, if you really think that is the solution, then the entry fee for the Runoffs should include a surcharge that goes directly to all the Regions who conducted Majors last year who will be effected if "a just enter the Runoffs" is allowed. After all, no one will be spending the $$ to qualify so everyone will have that extra $$, right?

Let me expand. If you just enter the Runoffs in 2020, the entry fee will be $900 plus a $1200 surcharge. If you ran one Majors in 2020, the surge charge drops to $800. If you ran two Majors, the surcharge drops to $400 and if you did three Majors, no surcharge. The surcharge is totaled, divided by the number of entries at all the 2019 Majors which are cancelled in 2020. For example, if there were 4000 entries at the 2019 Majors which are cancelled this year and the total surcharge fund is $400,000, the regions gets $100 per entry at their 2019 race.

Can't wait to hear the responses. I love this unscheduled silly season. Watched the NASCAR IRace from Homestead today. Only comment I have is I find it interesting that some drivers have run 1200 IRaces. Is that our future?

BTW, I'm writing the supps for the June 27th, 28th Double SARRC/Majors at Roebling Road now and soon will start the supps for the July races at Road Atlanta which should be announced shortly. Stay tuned. I also got call from the Central Carolinas RE this morning and they have their supps for June ready for approval.
And for the 4th year in a row, the entry fee for the mid year Majors/Double SARRC at Roebling Road will be $395. Come race with us.

V8 Road Racing Series Administrator
Runoffs Line Chief Tech Prod cars