prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Covid-19 effect
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:58 am 

I see the glass house having to make some tough decisions regarding runoffs qualifications *IF* they even have them this year.

STU Scion FR-S

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:09 am 

Remember all the dates for most tracks have been booked for the year so just moving a race to another weekend has a slim to non chance. But that is the way it has been for some time now.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:14 am 

at this point who cares? the economy is being messed up enough that there wont be any money for the runoffs..

Joe Harlan Member #175515

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:36 am 

Joe Harlan wrote:
at this point who cares? the economy is being messed up enough that there wont be any money for the runoffs..

What's the club going to do next year without it's cash cow?

STU Scion FR-S

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:20 am 

Seems as tho with some logical protocol, we could race and not be considered over any gathering limits . AS mentioned the racers can spread out and flip each other off from 6ft or more . That would not constitute a gathering . Race tracks have a lot of space . Use all of it , be smart .

The stewards count can be reduced to 5 total and timing can be backed up with phone apps . ( done with some TT events)
The biggest issue would be signing in. Bring your own pen.
Or print out the waiver at home , sign it , put in an zip lock bag . Toss it in the garbage can as you drive in.
Change the sign over the front gate to essentially be a form of waiver by entering the track. Post a contact info sheet on your tow vehicle driver door .
Lets race. WE have 4 weeks to burn all of our savings, instead of saving for things like house payments. The entire country is gunna be a shithouse financially, at least we can turn a little cash into noise.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:59 am 

IMO the Runoffs would be just as good if there were NO qualifying requirement beyond licensing and maybe an experience (x many races) requirement. Rightly or wrongly - probably a bit of each - Runoffs qualification has been a check the boxes exercise lately anyway. Just change the boxes!

I'd add a strict % based qualifying time limit, but that has always been a good idea.

I won't be going this year one way or the other (maybe someday) but the situation is altogether salvageable. IMHO.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:20 am 

I see more races getting postponed or canceled. As someone said, tracks are already booked for the year, so postponing may be harder than it sounds.

Work sent us all home for the next 60-90 days. Colorado is on the front end of the ramp up period for the virus, I personally expect about 45 days of more cases as we go along.

I'm strongly considering just waiting until July to come out and race just enough to get to the runoffs. It's just so damned hot around here in July, I'm not very motivated by the thought at all.

My problem is, at my job, I'm one of the last ones in the door, so I may be one of the first to get the boot. If I'm laid off - it'll be awhile before I race again, unfortunately for me. I did some investing in my car and self over the winter - I actually waiting on one last upgrade, but I'm sitting here considering canceling my order until a few weeks pass.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:09 pm 

anviltester wrote:
……….. Also how will all this affect the requirements for the runoffs?
Obviously the participation requirements will have to change with all of these races cancelled. See separate thread on how to deal with this.