prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Covid-19 effect
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:49 pm 

So anyone w/ Atlanta Region want to step up and tell us if their region is considering possible changes? With every other sporting event getting cancelled, postponed, etc., has Topeka offered any guidance to the regions about their upcoming events?

For that matter, any region hosting a Major in the next month could chime in and let us know if there’s any direction offered from Topeka......or are you on your own to make event decisions.

I have no dog in this hunt and am just curious if there a helping hand from Topeka. MLB, NBA, NASCAR, NCAA all TOLD folks how it was gonna be.....top down direction. Will SCCA follow suit?

Dayle

(please do NOT PM me through this site as I cannot respond to them)

Post subject: Re: Covid-19 effect
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:27 pm 

https://www.scca.com/articles/2013511-s ... -statement

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:50 pm 

Several states have now placed a ban on any actives of 250 people, with New York at 500 people. I will decide Monday on taking two cars to Atlanta. Factors are rain everyday in weather forecast and if the state of Georgia imposes the limits the other states have. It is 856 miles from my house , so don't want to be almost there to find out the government is closing events in Georgia. I hope this will all be over soon and we can go back to a normal race season.
I think this is all Jim's fault :snooty:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:44 pm 

Hey, I'm in Virginia at VIR and leave here for Hickory Motor Speedway next week. Last I heard from Atlanta folks was Majors is a go. Heck, NASCAR is bringing more people by 50 to 1 to Atlanta Motor Speedway this weekend than the Majors will bring. No spectators but they rely on the $$ from the TV package not spectators.

It is just amazing that the country can be shut down by something like this. Amazing how the media has taken control of the public. Looked at weather.com and everything there is about Covid not weather.

What really scares me is if and when something really happens. All I've got to say. I'm not going to fan the flames.

V8 Road Racing Series Administrator
Runoffs Line Chief Tech Prod cars

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:55 pm 

Good to hear. Jim keep us updated. Doing our best to make it there. Any chance of registration being open until Wednesday instead of closing on Monday?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:07 pm 

Larry, I'll ask. Hope all you do support the regions this year. It's important to do so.

After being involved with racing since 1969, I firmly believe that racers are some of the most intelligent folks in our society. They generally are not lead down a path like most of the public.

Even if you are just racing for a hobby, it is still a business. You must be well organized, independent and know the reality of where and how to spend your money. And this goes for all racers. You guys in SCCA are not any different from the short track guys I see. There is a passion for what you do.

Relish it. Only a few get to do what you do.

V8 Road Racing Series Administrator
Runoffs Line Chief Tech Prod cars

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:04 am 

Was thinking about the Road Atlanta Majors last night, and if it were in Ohio, were gatherings over 100 people have been banned, it wouldn't be allowed to happen. I also imagine that if the region decided to cancel the event, they'd still be on the hook for the track rental, plus whatever else they've already paid for, so IMO, they have to move forward with it until legally banned from doing so.

ruckracing honda's:
'15 & '10 Runoffs FP Champion
'10, '09, & '08 ARRC ITA/ITB Champion

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:17 am 

kruck wrote:
I also imagine that if the region decided to cancel the event, they'd still be on the hook for the track rental, plus whatever else they've already paid for, so IMO, they have to move forward with it until legally banned from doing so.

Thats why I wondered about this. This has to be "top down" leadership so regions have cover of it gets ugly.

No limiting events here in MI (yet) but our region couldn’t afford to eat all the up front costs of holding a race.

Dayle

(please do NOT PM me through this site as I cannot respond to them)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:09 am 

FWIW ... the Trans Am West Coast Opener at Sonoma Raceway scheduled for this weekend was postponed yesterday.
http://gotransam.com/news/Trans-Am-West-Coast-Championship-Sonoma-Opener-Postponed-Trans-Am-to-Race-Road-Atlanta-/70256

The new live-streaming application for Trans Am is available in the Apple AppStore and GooglePlay:
Android Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nagra.ion.transam&hl=en_US
Apple IOS App: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/trans-am-by-pirelli-racing/id1494720210

The app made its debut at Sebring with good reviews and some opportunities for improvement.
Scheduled events are:
· Michelin Raceway Road Atlanta March 28-29
· WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca May 1-3
· Lime Rock Park May 22-25
· Indianapolis Motor Speedway June 19-21
· Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course June 26-28
· Watkins Glen International September 11-13
· Virginia International Raceway September 27-27
· Circuit of the Americas November 6-8

(sorry for the slight thread hijack)
Kelley Huxtable
DMVR
"PLAY SAFE"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:16 am 

Larry Svaton wrote:
Several states have now placed a ban on any actives of 250 people, with New York at 500 people. I will decide Monday on taking two cars to Atlanta. Factors are rain everyday in weather forecast and if the state of Georgia imposes the limits the other states have. It is 856 miles from my house , so don't want to be almost there to find out the government is closing events in Georgia. I hope this will all be over soon and we can go back to a normal race season.
I think this is all Jim's fault :snooty:

Well it sounds like SWDIV won't be affected then since we almost never have that many people at an event. :boohoo:

STU Scion FR-S