prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Sebring was fun .
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:25 pm 

Had been waiting for this MR2 to surface with it's straight line speed. It's been to RA a couple times in the past. It's straight line speed shows up in conversation each time the car shows up. Maybe the question should be, within the prod rules is there a MR2 which gets the job done in the corners?

David Dewhurst
CenDiv Milwaukee Region
F Prod #14

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:46 pm 

David Dewhurst wrote:
Maybe the question should be, within the prod rules is there a MR2 which gets the job done in the corners?

Basically IT specs in terms of geometry, yes? Struts front and rear, but very nice F/R balance (and a hoot to drive). Those cars are/were very solid in ITB, but I don't know of anyone that really took one to its full development potential.

Get rid of the AFM and go Megasquirt and you're looking at around 125 crank ponies already. That's before cams (stock lift is ~.280) and 11:1 compression ratio (stock = 9.4). Cams, compression, and computer and that's 160hp and 8500RPM on a 100% stock bottom end.

That's a solid HP LP car.

<----checking classifieds for old ITB cars...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:48 pm 

Letters have been submitted to the CRB a handful of times. No action has been taken because the (presumably) car hasn't been sorted out yet. That's not a LP HP car... that car belongs in F. It out dragged GTL cars at the Glen. As soon as someone puts the time and money into getting it to handle, it won't be beat at most tracks.

#37 HP Sprite
Goodyear/Red Line/Taylor Race Engr/Stinnett, Padrutt & Aranyosi/Six Shooter Coffee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:56 pm 

Sorry Ron. Had my G15 sunglasses on.... besides, the course workers called it red so many times I started to believe it.

Bob

Last edited by Bob Hess on Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:06 pm 

Jason Isley was registered for VIR in a MR2 but changed his mind. Probably waiting to debut the car at Road America so he can kick all of our butts before it gets reclassified. :P

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:41 am 

The Toy MR2 needs at least another 100# or FP. Any track other than Sebring, the car should win.
Sebring is unique with stop and squirt sections 4 or 5 time per lap . The mass may not let it totally dominate. It should still win after watching it run down Pitts and my VW s.

Daytona, Road America, etc with sweepers and long straights will be it's cherry. Like Greg says. , lots of power -easy .

Letter #28229, "please move MR2 to FP or add 100#,"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:40 pm 

VWRalf wrote:
Jason Isley was registered for VIR in a MR2 but changed his mind. Probably waiting to debut the car at Road America so he can kick all of our butts before it gets reclassified. :P

Or maybe he was never going to VIR, and doesn't have an MR2, but knew it would get the old guys worked up. :lol:

Unless someone calls up and offers me a free ride in one it's not going to me bringing one to Road America, not spending my money to develop a 2300lb four wheel strut car with no torque.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:44 pm 

Yeah those cars will never handle well. The roof is too low, and all the weight is in the middle!

On a serious note that particular car has never been through tech that I have seen. It is unusually fast. It could very well be an overdog, but it could also very well need some legalization.
Who knows....

If I were opening up the PCS fresh and picking a car to build for HP, that is one I would look at, along with the Hondas, the VWs and the "newer" Japanese cars (Fit, 2)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:49 pm 

[quote="FP Racer"] The orange bugeye which I tried hard not to look at because of its' fiberglass rear and the spitfire were both with Gary Johnson. The bug eye was rented to Charlie Guest, a HP driver from the 80's

Jim, You can look at the Bugeye all you want. Are you aware rear fiberglass bodywork is legal on a MK1 Bugeye?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:56 pm 

Gary, we discussed that car. If you want to push the point, I'll bring my factory body manual with the part # for the bugeye back section. Not going to debate it on a forum.

V8 Road Racing Series Administrator
Runoffs Line Chief Tech Prod cars