prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Runoffs ads or press?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:39 am 

I looked at the Winston-Salem Journal, Greensboro News, Raleigh News & Observer, and the Danville newspaper. I looked at WXII, WGHP, WFMY,WRAL and WSOC. So far, I found 1 letter to a paper about the Runoffs. . https://www.godanriver.com/opinion/lett ... 05ee3.html

Is there any advertising?

#10 HP SEDiv 1965 Austin-Healey Sprite
#73 HP SEDiv 1984 Honda CRX

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:45 am 

I don't know the business details of the Runoffs, but generally speaking SCCA rents the track and the track keeps the gate (and concessions). So there's no financial incentive for the SCCA to spend money to attract spectators.

And if the track doesn't think they'll get a lot of gate, there's no incentive for them to spend money on advertising.

Again: purely speculation on my part.

An oldie but a goodie...the difference between SCCA and NASCAR? In NASCAR, the spectators know all the drivers' names...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:49 am 

Understand what your saying but isn't this our Daytona 500? our Indy 500? our Super Bowl?

But the Regions complain about not having enough workers and actual car counts. How do you get these people when nobody knows about it? You only need a few that would make a huge difference.

Print up posters and put in car part stores, free bulletin boards at restaurants. TV and newspapers usually have some kind of local event happenings in the area.
Let a local sports announcer ride in the pace car.
Contact all the Scout troops and youth church groups. that would be a great outing for kids.
Heck we have old folks groups at church now. That would be a good outing for them too.

It doesn't have to be a million dollar ad campaign.

At the Prod Fest last year, they were going to have a big BBQ Festival while we were racing. Of course the hurricane took care of that but that's a great idea.

For one of the double regionals, I asked the Chat. region if it was ok and I made a few flyers on my PC and put them on the board at Panera and some where else

#10 HP SEDiv 1965 Austin-Healey Sprite
#73 HP SEDiv 1984 Honda CRX

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:59 am 

Darryl Saylor wrote:
Understand what your saying but isn't this our Daytona 500? our Indy 500? our Super Bowl?

To us, the participants, absolutely!

But to the rest of the world that pays a lot of money to watch the Daytona 500, Indy 500, and the Super Bowl?

Nope.

To the rest of the world we're just a bunch of car hobbyists spending money going 'round in circles. Mildly entertaining at best.

Don't get me wrong: I'm as excited as the next to be there, participating. But 35-ish years in this hobby has me pragmatic -- some say cynical -- enough to understand how our little bubble fits inside the real world.

If someone wants to spend the money to get more people sitting on the hillsides, please do have at it. And I'll wanve at them. But please don't spend my money doing it (unless you're willing to reduce my entry fee accordingly...;))

<--- cynical old guy who's been there, done that.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:00 pm 

Mid Ohio has track event schedules posted in nearby stores /business. They get walk ins.
It's really hard to gain participants if nobody knows about it. As a whole ,SCCA does a terrible job with promotion.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:22 pm 

Unfortunately, there is a dearth of the types we'd like to attract to the races in the VIR area - it's not like RA, where you can pull a lot of college kids (I remember racing before thousands at the June Sprints in the 1970's) - and the infrastructure of the immediate area is not favorable to a big draw. Might get some kids from the local college if a few posters were up, and some knowledgeable racing fans who do get too the TransAm and pro sportscar races with a little PR push though. I concur that the Club's PR push is a little shameful. And I do not like one bit having to pay in Majors entry fees the travel and lodging expenses of the announcers who work the HST events...

#27 H Prod Midget
WDC Region

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:26 pm 

I hate to keep referring to the short track series I work for, but they are a small budget non NASCAR series. They do send one staff person to the area a week before each race. He/she goes to the local radio stations and gives them grandstand tickets to give away as promos. They take flyers to all the local parts place/repair shops/bars and hang outs. And we generally manage to put between 3000 and 5000 spectators in the stands. The tracks keep the concessions and we get the grandstand and pit gate fees. We also have over 50 sponsors who pay things like fastest qualifier, hard charger, most laps lead, etc. The series used to be sponsored by Hooters and was in memory of Alan Kulwicki and the owner of Hooters son who were killed in a plane crash. Since that money dried up with the passing of the owner of Hooters, the new owners have kept it running with hard work and smart promotion.

SCCA could easily do the same with the Runoffs. Yes, the track gets the gate. But we could get new members and new workers and maybe even a new driver or two. Toni & I watched that first Runoffs at Road Atlanta in 1970 and we are still hooked. We're at Daytona looking out the front of the motorhome at Lake Lloyd.

V8 Road Racing Series Administrator
Runoffs Line Chief Tech Prod cars

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:32 pm 

THere is a limited market within an hour of the track for sure for Sports car racing. They had an event this summer at VIR with NASA with live bands and all sorts of things. They had drifting and a burnout contest for goodness sake. Burnouts at VIR :-[...
Not sure that warm bodies for the sake of warm bodies is really a good thing.

I would say to promote the Runoffs to all the groups that do track days. I ran with Just Track It at Road Atlanta this past weekend which itself ran with HSR. It was cool. 40 Cars with maybe 6-7 race cars and the rest street cars. There are tons of others like Chin etc. Those are people that already go to the tracks but most have never been to an SCCA Race.

And even to the drifting crowd. One of the guys that works for me got into drifting briefly as a gateway to SCCA racing when he realized drifting is a show and SCCA is real racing. And its a younger crowd.

FP Mazda Miata
EP 1989 RX7
IT7 RX7
2nd Gen STL RX7