prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:57 pm 

Darryl Saylor wrote:
I don't have texting.
1965 Austin-Healey Sprite

If you pick up the hand set and quickly tilt the lever down 10 times Esmerelda the operator will answer and she will give you current up-to-date information on the event schedule as well as the status on Farmer Brown's cow's calf (due any time now!)

You should also ask on how the crick river crossing between the track and the barn is doing, as we're expecting one helluva gully-washer later in the week. Don't think the pole-ferry can run durin' those times, dontcha know...

Grab some butter along the way, if you don't mind...?

:)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:11 pm 

Greg Amy wrote:
Darryl Saylor wrote:
I don't have texting.
1965 Austin-Healey Sprite

If you pick up the hand set and quickly tilt the lever down 10 times Esmerelda the operator will answer and she will give you current up-to-date information on the event schedule as well as the status on Farmer Brown's cow's calf (due any time now!)

You should also ask on how the crick river crossing between the track and the barn is doing, as we're expecting one helluva gully-washer later in the week. Don't think the pole-ferry can run durin' those times, dontcha know...

Grab some butter along the way, if you don't mind...?

:)

Wella, I did pro-gress a bit cause I'll be fixin' to run a 1984 CRX instead of my 1965 Spridget. We did get a new one of them thar rotary phones. It works pretty good on the party line. Of course, Thelma listens in on all our telephone calls. Sometimes she just joins in. I've been watching that thar TV and that thar weather person says we ain't gonna get no rain. They want even let us have a Bar B Q cause we might burn every thang up.

Now did you want that thar salted or unsalted butter? Whatcha fixin' to make? cause youins don't want the wrong butter. that's what mamma says anyway.

See un's at the awful big dance. Have fun now and be particular. :D

#10 HP SEDiv 1965 Austin-Healey Sprite
#73 HP SEDiv 1984 Honda CRX

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:12 am 

Darryl Saylor wrote:
kruck wrote:
I urge everyone to sign up for the text message system for your run group/class! Info pertinent to you and where you need to be and when, sent directly to your phone! In addition to the radio broadcast of announcements, not much reason to not be informed of what's going on.

I don't have texting.

:doh: you're killin' me Darryl.....ok I'll ask around and see if a carrier pigeon service was secured for the Prod classes.

ruckracing honda's:
'15 & '10 Runoffs FP Champion
'10, '09, & '08 ARRC ITA/ITB Champion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:41 am 

Just doin' my job.

You can walk down and tell me. I'm at MRV5. We're all excited. We're getting that new fang dangled thing called electricity while we're at the Runoffs.

I can either pay Verizon for texting or Appalachian Tire for race tires. one or the other, just not both.

We don't have cable or satellite TV either, just rabbit ears.

As our neighbor from Franklin, TN say "Boogity! Boogity! Boogity! Let's go Racin'!!!"

#10 HP SEDiv 1965 Austin-Healey Sprite
#73 HP SEDiv 1984 Honda CRX

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:56 am 

CharlieC is correct. You need to go back to inviting the top 3 or 4 from each division to the runoffs. Ever since SCCA started
allowing anybody and everybody to compete at the Runoffs (quantity over quality) there are a lot of rolling chicanes that don't belong there. They are just there for the experience. If you can't be competitive you shouldn't be there. They could always start enforcing the 110% rule. That wouldn't help qualifying but it would help the race.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:18 am 

They have been enforcing the 110% rule, even at Majors events, but I don't think people realize just how slow that still is. Take the Mid-Ohio pro-course for example, say the FP pole is a 1:36.0, so 110% of that is a 1:45.6. Almost 10 seconds off the pace, and probably going to get lapped twice. I've done a 1:40.7 in my ITA Integra and a 1:45.8 in my ITB Civic, and those were both like 8-12 years ago.

ruckracing honda's:
'15 & '10 Runoffs FP Champion
'10, '09, & '08 ARRC ITA/ITB Champion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:39 am 

FWIW, that is why I'll be watching and not driving. I did "qualify" in FP under the current rules, but after the test day at VIR in early August I realized that (a) the motor needed some help (leak down results were not great), and (b) the driver needed some more seat time behind the wheel of a Miata (seems you cannot just drive it like a MGB). Though I have driven many, many laps at VIR, I was just not fast enough. I am sure I would have been inside the 115% window, but as Kevin said, that is really still too slow. I did not want to be "that guy" that inadvertently caused a problem for the guys at the front end of the field.

It also did not help that work is crazy busy now and just getting ready would have been a huge challenge. But I'll be out there cheering all of you on. Looking forward to it.

Rick

#27 FP MGB
#27 FP Miata

Last edited by Rick Starkweather on Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:35 am 

Don Feller wrote:
You need to go back to inviting the top 3 or 4 from each division to the runoffs.

It wasn't all as rosey as we tend to "remember".

All that old system did was exclude excellent drivers that lived in strong Divisions (e.g., Northeast, Southeast) while allowing in average drivers that came from more-average divisions (e.g., Midwest, Southwest, and Rocky Mountain)

And I can say that with much confidence and experience, as I am a prior top-3 in Southwest and a former Midwest Div champion (I lived in extreme North Texas, and changed my region membership to Oklahoma to improve my odds of getting a Runoffs invitation and subsequent tow fund check.) When I moved from Texas to Connecticut I had to work my ass off to get a guaranteed invite to the Runoffs. Back in Texas that was never a concern.

And let's not forget that once we went through the top-3 in each division, we started inviting the 4th placers, then 5th placers, then so forth to fill the fields. Given that many divisions didn't have a lot of takers for Road Atlanta (Great Lakes, NorPac, SoPac) we were alreading digging deep into the top-10 to fill the fields.

Just like we are now.

Enforce the 110/115 and let 'em in.

Last edited by Greg Amy on Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:09 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:38 am 

kruck wrote:
They have been enforcing the 110% rule, even at Majors events, but I don't think people realize just how slow that still is. Take the Mid-Ohio pro-course for example, say the FP pole is a 1:36.0, so 110% of that is a 1:45.6. Almost 10 seconds off the pace, and probably going to get lapped twice. I've done a 1:40.7 in my ITA Integra and a 1:45.8 in my ITB Civic, and those were both like 8-12 years ago.

When did they start enforcing this?
HP at Indy had 9 starters outside 110%
The car that blocked me on two lapping passes and hit me on the third was at 124%. Twenty. Eight. Seconds. Off. Pace.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:13 am 

Financially, I'm pretty sure that we need 1000 cars per Runoffs. Just as pointed out by Greg, the old system was often gamed and had many downsides.

Long sighted ;

The current demographic of our racing in general is financially well off old white guys . The cars we race cost way too much for any logical Millennial to want to build or buy. The domino cost associated with racing these cars is also way out of line with laps returned per dollar. Tow trucks ,trailers/ garages etc.
Summery ; we are not being replaced with young racers and new cars . They are going elsewhere where the math works better. Or I racing .

Some of the few racers that we still have would like to have a chance to participate in the runoffs . Some newer racers would like to see the current top racers and get a feel for the pace and $commitment it takes to be at the pointy end .

That could be done the way it is currently or opened up to qualifying and starting the top cars near of the pole car by 106% and send the rest to the stands or find a race time for the B main. Unless qualifying is in the rain :)
edit; The top 80% of the cars would have to have their own Q session maybe .

Some of the B main cars might come back better prepped and driven, some may never be seen again . But having more participants may bring more back to a well run , competitive event .

We could keep the Majors in place by taking the $million from Pro and having some payout for Majors . This would maintain the competitiveness of Majors and insure it last a few more years.

Last edited by Protech Racing on Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next