prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:32 pm 

Matt93SE wrote:
chois wrote:
zChris wrote:
So your thinking 58 EP/HP in one session and 19 FP in another is a good idea Ron?

It sure is a better idea than BSpec in the Prod group at Majors.

But yes IMO. The larger speed differential between the classes makes it a bit less likely to get conflict between the two. It's just easier to work your way through each other.

However I think that Ron's point is to get at least one session for each class in their own group.

conversely, the speed differential can hurt when there are so many cars on course at the same time that you can't get a clean lap due to traffic in the turns. Yes most of the HP cars can turn just as fast as an EP or FP car, but there's always outliers in every group. a slow HP will be 30 sec off the pace of a fast EP, so that person will be the bottleneck for nearly everyone every few laps.

.... there's never an ideal solution when you have more classes than you do run groups...

Yes there is a solution and it requires getting rid of a bunch of pet classes that overlap each other and get back to a core of groups.
I’m sorry but things have gotten almost as bad as T ball here and yes this is coming from a old gray haired driver that has been Racing since 1992. :boohoo:

Integra FP #33

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:04 pm 

At some tracks the speed differential is a good thing. Keep in mind there is already the missing GP class between H and F and so there is a lot bigger difference already between H and F than F and E.

Also at VIR there is a rub. The Climbing Esses is flat out and very fast. But also very single file. I have seen so many people go off there trying to pass a lap car or even a car for position. Unless the person getting passed gets way off line its a disaster waiting to happen if you stay in it when passing.

Only 5 classes are getting their own group and I guess the difference in F and H is more than F and E and so maybe that was part of it. I am in Both EP and FP and I prefer what they have and its been published for months. The schedule published on May 2 was Part of my decision to qualify in both classes. H and E have the same number of cars. And are among the largest. So it was likely going to be E and F or F and H and F and H has more of a difference and to me it makes sense.

The only group that has their own that clearly should not to me is T3. But if they swap T3 and T4 which would work I think they would have it pretty fair.

My 2 Cents.

FP Mazda Miata
EP 1989 RX7
IT7 RX7
2nd Gen STL RX7

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:45 am 

harvey wrote:
Yes there is a solution and it requires getting rid of a bunch of pet classes that overlap each other and get back to a core of groups.
I’m sorry but things have gotten almost as bad as T ball here and yes this is coming from a old gray haired driver that has been Racing since 1992. :boohoo:

Unfortunately, that solution only works for a small group of racers and a small number of events. areas like SOWDIV who already see 60-80 car counts will have even lower entries. races lose money, they race less, racers go elsewhere, club becomes insolvent, we've cut off our own hand can no longer feed ourselves. Simply maintaining the status quo doesn't work anymore, and there is too great a variety of cars which need to be classed today.

STU Nissan 240SX

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:25 am 

Matt93SE wrote:
harvey wrote:

Unfortunately, that solution only works for a small group of racers and a small number of events. areas like SOWDIV who already see 60-80 car counts will have even lower entries. races lose money, they race less, racers go elsewhere, club becomes insolvent, we've cut off our own hand can no longer feed ourselves. Simply maintaining the status quo doesn't work anymore, and there is too great a variety of cars which need to be classed today.

Well it’s worked great so far

Integra FP #33

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:18 am 

Wow - I guess it pays to ask. H and F now have two sessions alone and only one combined. Thank you Costa Dunias and the rest of the Runoffs organizers for fixing this for us. Really appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:20 am 

Someone had some foresight to start off with a "worst case scenario" schedule, with some fluff built in. Then once the entries and groupings shook out a bit, was able to go back in and free things up a little bit, without enlarging the overall scope (i.e. time) of the qualifying days.

It'll require all of us to stay aware of what's happening on track, and be ready to go when it's your turn, as this is now a "Followed By" schedule with no actual times assigned to anything. I like that; track down-time is costing all of us money, while providing nothing.

Happy for the HP guys, who signed up early and often, consistently showed 30+ entries, and deserve some alone sessions for their effort.

ruckracing honda's:
'15 & '10 Runoffs FP Champion
'10, '09, & '08 ARRC ITA/ITB Champion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:12 am 

Ron Bartell wrote:
Wow - I guess it pays to ask. H and F now have two sessions alone and only one combined. Thank you Costa Dunias and the rest of the Runoffs organizers for fixing this for us. Really appreciated.

Costa chairs the events in Colorado Region and he's fantastic.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:09 am 

kruck wrote:
It'll require all of us to stay aware of what's happening on track, and be ready to go when it's your turn, as this is now a "Followed By" schedule with no actual times assigned to anything. I like that; track down-time is costing all of us money, while providing nothing.

I like it too, but I can hear the screaming now.

We'd really do our fellow participants a big plus to holler this loud and long so everyone is aware of it.

I also appreciate that they're re-broadcasing the F&C net over UHF analog. Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:53 am 

I urge everyone to sign up for the text message system for your run group/class! Info pertinent to you and where you need to be and when, sent directly to your phone! In addition to the radio broadcast of announcements, not much reason to not be informed of what's going on.

ruckracing honda's:
'15 & '10 Runoffs FP Champion
'10, '09, & '08 ARRC ITA/ITB Champion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:48 pm 

kruck wrote:
I urge everyone to sign up for the text message system for your run group/class! Info pertinent to you and where you need to be and when, sent directly to your phone! In addition to the radio broadcast of announcements, not much reason to not be informed of what's going on.

I don't have texting.

#10 HP SEDiv 1965 Austin-Healey Sprite
#73 HP SEDiv 1984 Honda CRX

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next