prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:54 pm 

Hopefully we get what we paid for with a high priced entry fee. $695 entry + $5 worker appreciation fund. I'm normally happy to add more to the worker fund than that but like it to be my choice. Not a big deal but first time I've seen a mandatory fee.
Because of the tracks varying sound limits, the 103dB groups have to be clustered around the middle of the day. That creates some a tight schedule for the small bore on Saturday. See attached - I've highlighted the small bore sessions. From the checker of qualifying to the start time of the race it could be as much as 1hr-25min to a min of 30min, if there are any delays. I pondered letting my wallet speak, but this is the only event that is on my schedule for the rest of the year.

A few weeks ago when total entries were down around 85 (now at 144), they kindly asked if the small bore group would have an issue with combining with big bore. This would allow them to add a session needing the 103 dB of 20 or so cars that fit in FA. I think it's a pro group of F3 and F4 guys that can run in FA. The group loudly said no and they accepted that. That would have been a deal killer for me, but they listened, to their credit. Doesn't hurt to ask.

It would suck to be SRF or SM for this event/schedule. Fri SRF is the first group to go out and the last of the day. SM gets the honors on Sat. They do get to leave early on Sunday.

18 cars currently in our group:

12 … Carr, Joe … E Production … 2001 Honda S2000
50 … Downey, Aaron … E Production … 1976 Mazda RX-3
2 … Droese, Brandon … E Production … 1987 Mazda RX7
40 … Frietzsche, Kurt … E Production … 1980 Mazda RX7
4 … McCready, Glen … E Production … 2006 Mazda MX-5
96 … Swifts, Kale … E Production … 1990 Mazda RX7

37 … Hussey, Steven … F Production … 1962 Lotus 7

32 … Cummings, Michael … H Production … 1964 Austin Healey Sprite
0 … Fleming, Lee … H Production … MG Midget
21 … Linn, Brian … H Production … 1972 MG Midget

8 … Harvey, Taz … GT-Lite … 1994 Mazda MX5
77 … Huffaker, Joe … GT-Lite … MG Midget
95 … Linerud, Tim … GT-Lite … 1983 Volkswagen GTI

19 … Gersch, Joseph … BSpec … 2009 Toyota Yaris
14 … Naimi, Ali … BSpec … 2011 Mazda 2
24 … Schwartz, Frank … BSpec … 2011 Mini Cooper
16 … Storms, Cherie … BSpec … 2011 Mazda 2
116 … Storms, William … BSpec … 2011 Mazda 2

Attachments:
Super Tour Schedule 7_22_2019 v1.jpg
Super Tour Schedule 7_22_2019 v1.jpg [ 581.09 KiB | Viewed 2781 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:01 pm 

I guess it's time for a recap of the race weekend before it's completely vaporized from my brain.

In EP, Glen McCready and Aaron Downey seemed to be close each day. Aaron won on Saturday, but was hounded the entire way by Glen. On Sunday Glen turned it around, beat Aaron down to the brake zone of T-2 and let the entire distance (I think but not 100% sure).

The potential FP race between Steve Hussey in his Lotus7 and Huffaker looked good after qualifying. There were separated by less than .1 sec. Unfortunately for the Lotus, it showed a low oil pressure warning, and wouldn't see the green flag of either race. Joe ran unopposed one day then switched to GTL the next. In GTL Taz Harvey in the ex-Prather Miata won on Sat over Tim Linerud, while Huffaker won on Sunday.

In HP as I was working on Thursday I was getting reports that Lee Fleming was out testing the ex-Saurino MG. Lee would have had a great shot at winning the Sonoma HP Runoffs in this car, but was felled by a bad back. I hadn't been to Laguna since the 2014 Runoffs, so on Friday AM i had some catching up to do. Fleming would be faster than me in every session throughout the weekend. In Satuday's race I was able to get beside him a few times but never could complete the pass. On Sunday Fleming slowed a bit going to the green, then accelerated but had to slow because of a late green. I was a tick behind and didn't have to check up as much and got a great start - some black #77 was holding me up as we slowed for T-2. In T-4 the EP Honda of Joe Carr slowed my apex speed and that allowed Fleming back by under braking for T-5. Going up to the Corkscrew I had a good run and dove inside in the brake zone. 3 lead changes in the first lap! The next lap in the Corkscrew I followed Joe Carr down, saw an opening on the outside and took my chances. Joe left me enough room on the outside of T-9 and I was able to complete the pass. Fleming was trapped behind Carr and the EP Rx7 of Kurt Frietzsche. I had a 5-6 sec lead about 6 laps in. On the 7th or so lap, on the T-11 exit strips I felt something odd as I shifted. Same on the next shift and then while downshifting for T-2. My initial thought was flat tire the way it felt, but it was actually an axle. S happens

Here is the video from Sat: https://youtu.be/9CiYiWxvcuA?t=159 I was playing around with Adobe Premiere Plus trying to edit the video and forgot that I hadn't cut the pace lap. My pet peeve is seeing pace laps, pre-grid so I apologize for that. On the above link I think it will advance to T-11 before the green. Until just a sec ago, I forgot that we went FCY and I left that in the video. Next time I will get that right.

Video from Sunday: https://youtu.be/WO2JmvrRM7g Just went back to Race Render and did what I needed. Premiere is going to take some time for me to get the hang of it.