prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:44 am 

Registration is open.
Seems that my CenDiv reserved number has been taken. Guess I misunderstood that they would remain reserved if you were an active racer. At least I will already have the 120 on the car from VIR....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:11 am 

We'll be there in EP.

#38 EP BMW

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:20 pm 

Already Registered...can't wait 8)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:53 pm 

Chris, you are still shown as number 20 on the cendiv list. This is your probation year, if you do not run it you loose it.

Is someone else already registered as 20?

Scott

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:25 pm 

Yeah Scott. I figured with my motor problems before getting a timed lap at the Sprints last year, that l might have fallen off the list. The registrar and race chair are following up on it for me.

EDIT - looks like this tiny issue is resolved. I'm now showing up as 20.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 6:45 am 

Looks like a pretty decent EP, FP and HP field with a couple of GTL entries.
Hopefully the paddock is usable after all this rain.

Brakke, Jon E Production Fargo, ND
Bunt, Don E Production Rockford, IL
Loughman, Lance E Production Lake Zurich, IL
Moser, Joe E Production Wilmette, IL
Olsen, Rich E Production Barrington, IL
Olsen, Ron E Production Barrington, IL
Schreyer, Tim E Production Dubuque, IA
Smyczek, Steve E Production New Berlin, WI
Clark, Jacob F Production Mequon, WI
Froh, Michael F Production Elkhart Lake, WI
Hart, Michael F Production Mundelein, IL
Lamb, Gerald F Production Oswego, IL
Sturm, Michael F Production Grafton, WI
Weber, Mark F Production Saint Louis, MO
Lewis, Brad GT-Lite St. Louis, MO
Meyer, Bill GT-Lite Russellville, MO
Brakke, Mark H Production Coon Rapids, MN
Gauper, Greg H Production Hubertus, WI
Meller, Daniel H Production Milwaukee, WI
Sargis, Steve H Production Frankfort, IL
Schaafsma, Christopher H Production Wheaton, IL
Trainer, William H Production Lake in the Hills, IL

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 7:22 am 

Pretty stout looking field for the HP guys!! Good luck to everyone.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 9:17 am 

Prod is the largest group of the weekend!

I would suspect a horrible paddock. Supposed to rain all the way up until Thurs. evening.

Fortunately, the actual weekend forecast looks spectacular!

#38 EP BMW

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 6:06 am 

We had a great weekend of racing.

The weather beat the forecast pretty much every day. It was pretty chilly Friday night, but all was good after that. It stayed dry enough that most had no issues with mud or getting stuck trying to pull out on Sunday.

It was a productive, if frustrating weekend for me. My primary goals were to a. run all sessions and not break things, b. get some good chassis tuning progress, c. be competitive.

HP had a small but really quality field. I was way off the pace on Saturday morning - the combined practice session made it really tough for anyone to get clean laps, and there were some multi lap standing/waving yellows that made the 2nd half of the session slow. I was using it as a shakedown session, and had an older set of tires that just were not up to the task, with lap times that reflected that.

We made some shock changes, and tried to use the Q session to temper a fresh set of tires, bed in some brakes and get 2 good flyers in at the end. It was going well until a car parked on the outside curb at 3d, and another car side swiped me in the brake zone at 7 on my 1st flyer, ruining that and the next lap. So I pulled off. It was a pretty straight wheel to wheel hit, so no damage to the car. We tweaked the alignment, adjusted the shocks and set it up for the race.

Of course I was gridded pretty far back because of this, but with the chassis tuning goals of the weekend that was not a huge deal. The race was generally uneventful. I ended up 5th only because Trainer had a lap 1 incident that put him a lap down once he got going again. I went faster, but not enough to grid with the other HP cars - which were grouped pretty tightly <2s covering everyone.

Made a pretty big chassis change overnight, and went out for the short 10m session on Sunday morning. It was a eureka moment! Finally, for the first time since converting to HP the car felt right. Instead of "balancing" on the tires for every turn, I was able to "lean on" them and really place/drive the car as needed for a given turn and situation. We made a small update to the tune, set a few goals for driving style changes and went to grid lined up right behind Gauper on the Left side of the track.

What followed is the most fun I have ever had earning a (slightly disappointing) 5th place finish. I was rarely much further behind Greg than we were as we approached the green flag. A few times I had to let faster class cars through at inopportune times, and had a 50-100' gap to make up, but was always able to get back on his bumper in 1-2 laps. It was a classic case of a tale of two track for us. I could exit 6 and 7 right on Greg's tail, getting a nice draft off his Honda box, yet he would gradually pull away down each straight. There were a few spots that I could have tried a low percentage dive, but it just wasn't worth it given both of our goals, and I elected to wait and see how tire wear and mistakes played out. In the end he took 4th, and I ended up with a very slightly quicker lap. We had Brakke in sight about 1/2 a straight away, but just had a ball pushing each other for 23 laps (after getting lapped by the EP overall leaders). Kudos to Greg for driving a good race.

In the end for me the car and/or driver went faster in every session and we ended the weekend right in the thick of a really competitive group. I'm really looking forward to another fun time at the June Sprints.

-Chris

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 7:19 am 

What was Meller driving in HP? Meller, Chris' VW, Sargis' Spitfire, Gauper's Civic, and Brakke's Mazda 2 all turned a laptime within 1.3s of each other on Sunday. Cool mix.

Moser looked pretty hooked up all weekend in EP, until a flat left front tire halfway through Sunday's race forced him to drop out.

ruckracing honda's:
'15 & '10 Runoffs FP Champion
'10, '09, & '08 ARRC ITA/ITB Champion