prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Sat May 25, 2019 7:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 7:25 am 

Spectating Sat:

Dan Meller and dad had their $hit together in H Sat. & Sun.
Joe Moser had it together Sat. in E, must have broke on Sun.

David Dewhurst
CenDiv Milwaukee Region
F Prod #14

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 7:28 am 

Meller was in his Datsun 210.

David Dewhurst
CenDiv Milwaukee Region
F Prod #14

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 10:16 am 

Paddock was actually fairly dry given all the rain. As mentioned, the weather was perfect for a weekend of camping and racing. Saturday night dinner was pretty good.

EP pretty much fell into place during qualifying. I don't think anything was really decided by anyone's racecraft. Moser ran a 1:15.1 to take pole Saturday, Brakke was close behind, And all I could muster was a low 16 after the BFA for a car stuck on course. The race finished in the same order. I missed the start Saturday bad and Loughman got a jump on me and made it stick into T1. I passed him back by T3 and the race was pretty uncontested in all positions after that.

Sunday Qualifying I felt the track still lacked grip in the early morning session - not sure many really went faster. EP starting order was unchanged to my knowledge. I got a better start this time and hassled Brakke some from the exit of T1-T3 but he and Moser checked out after. Around lap 14 I saw someone slowing around T6. Moser's RF was smoking hard and he was way off pace. We jumped up to 2nd.

Traffic was tough all weekend. We were the largest group. Lots of disparity in speed with a tight track like BFR made it tough for the slower/faster classes to jive well.

#38 EP BMW

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:41 am 

tschreyer, not slamming anyone, I've known Jon for a long time and have met Joe.
My comment as to Joe having it together on Sat. was just that. Half way through the race when P1 is entering T3 and P 2 is mid corner T1, that's having it together. Wasn't there Sun. therefor no comments on Sun. race.

David Dewhurst
CenDiv Milwaukee Region
F Prod #14

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:47 am 

tschreyer wrote:
Traffic was tough all weekend. We were the largest group. Lots of disparity in speed with a tight track like BFR made it tough for the slower/faster classes to jive well.

True story, and it cut both ways.

I think I had faster traffic catch me at the worst places 4 times in Sunday's race.
I did try to be aware of who was coming through, and how to minimize our impact on their race, but Greg and I were pretty deep into it all race long on Sunday, so that was a tough thing to balance. Hopefully I didn't put you in a bad position either day...

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 2:22 pm 

David Dewhurst wrote:
tschreyer, not slamming anyone, I've known Jon for a long time and have met Joe.
My comment as to Joe having it together on Sat. was just that. Half way through the race when P1 is entering T3 and P 2 is mid corner T1, that's having it together. Wasn't there Sun. therefor no comments on Sun. race.

My reply wasn't even taking your comments into consideration. Moser was def. flying all weekend. I mostly meant there wasn't much actual car on car racing in EP. everyone just kind of settled in.

#38 EP BMW

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 2:24 pm 

chois wrote:
tschreyer wrote:

True story, and it cut both ways.

I think I had faster traffic catch me at the worst places 4 times in Sunday's race.
I did try to be aware of who was coming through, and how to minimize our impact on their race, but Greg and I were pretty deep into it all race long on Sunday, so that was a tough thing to balance. Hopefully I didn't put you in a bad position either day...

I think your battle is the only one I really recognized on track. Being new to the group I'm still kind of learning who does what, and who is racing who. Similarly I hope I didn't mess anything up for you guys either! I was mostly just trying to keep in arms (many arms) reach of the leaders hoping to capitalize on something dumb they would do.

#38 EP BMW

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 7:01 pm 

Good racing weather despite all the rain (and snow!) we've had over the last few weeks.
I brought a set of X-Bull traction boards with me in case I got stuck in the paddock. I didn't need them but my paddock neighbor with an FC car was thankful on Friday when he got his truck stuck and they worked as advertised to get him freed up.

Man that is the hardest I've driven for two fourth place finishes! On Saturday I hoped my used take-offs from the Runoffs would have enough life to last for the shorter sprint race. They didn't despite running within 0.5 seconds of my personal best. I faded at halfway and M. Brakke got me on the last lap.

I ran fresh tires for Sunday's longer race but for some reason couldn't match Saturday's pace. Grip felt good but I seemed to lose some power in the warmer conditions. I spent the whole race with Chris filling my mirrors. I was very thankful that he didn't have his 'good' engine. Bad news is he'll have it at the Sprints. Late in the race M. Brakke slid off track and was within striking distance. I set my fastest lap near the end trying to both catch him and hold off Chris.

Gotta say, Northern Conference is a tough crowd this year. There was a 1.3 second spread between the top 5 cars on Sunday. There was a 0.75 second spread between the top 4 cars on Saturday. Dan and his dad definitely have that Datsun flying.
FYI - Dan's car is full prep, Sargis is hybrid level 1/2 prep, and the rest of the field was limited prep.

Saturday's race posted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyQoCAVAJSg

Sunday's race still being edited, but unfortunately I don't have a rear facing camera...otherwise it was like that scene from Jurassic Park "objects in mirror are closer than they appear" :lol:

I knew I worked hard this weekend but didn't realize how hard until I weighed myself before jumping in the shower Sunday night. I had lost 7lbs since Friday morning despite chugging fluids both days.