prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Atlanta Super Tour
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:56 pm 

Had a good Time. I took my FP car and my 2nd Gen RX7 and ran it in STL. I skipped the wet sessions as it was going to be dry racing and I do not like the concrete walls. Big fields and lots and lots of flags. Crazy. I did 7 session and only one did not have double yellow or a black flag. I just want to know about the special prize you win on the out lap. I get crashing on the 1st qualifying lap. But the out lap. Really. The Runoffs and the Supertour I have seen that. I would at least make up something about a part breaking. But I have seen people going flat out by the climbing Esses at VIR so I think I know the truth. I go out last in qualifying now. Always.

Saturday was OK but Ken and I both had E Prod cars holding us up. So we were over 2 seconds over our qualifying times. And it was a shortened race. I did manage to get around Ken for the Lead a couple of times. But only because I guessed better at when he would be held up by an E Car.

Sunday was much better. The E Guys were much faster and that made it a lot more fun. Ken Grabbed the group lead for a while. I got pushed off in turn one at the start in a side by side bump. I was at the edge of the track and had nowhere to go but I did brake late there and he did not see me. No big deal. Its in the video so you can judge for yourself. Lost about 10 positions and had to work for it. Peter Morton and I had some close racing for a few laps. I pulled a good lead about halfway into the race and with about 2 laps to go I looked back and there he was. He did a good job working traffic. I was nursing my gearbox and I had to go back to hammering it.

I think the smart thing would have been a split start with GTL and FP in a different split. That way the slower FP cars do not hold up the fast HP guys and the EP guys do not hold up the faster FP guys. Maybe next time.

My biggest thrill was 3rd out of 20 cars in STL In the oldest car in the field by many years. Made it on the podium in my $5K car with Danny Steyn and a 16 Year old Kid in a super nice car. (He was a very nice kid I must say as we spoke a bit at impound.) We had a restart after 2 laps so the T3 and T4 cars were right in front of us as we did a Split start. So it was almost like an inverted start. Oddly I lwas worried I would get embarrassed in it and almost decided not to bring it as it is extra work and money. But I decided I could live with finishing in the middle of the pack if that happened.

Here are some videos. They came out pretty nicel. THere are multiples of each race so make sure it loads the next one. I will say 1 of 4, 2 of 4 etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3nNVaU7YCQ

FP Mazda Miata
IT7 RX7
2nd Gen STL EP RX7