prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:31 pm 

One more not in the group. Car (my GTL) broke Thursday. I'm already home (1000 miles).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:06 pm 

Wet, mud, wet....schedule issues, wet.....mud......did I mention it has been wet?

There’s on road that lead to the paved area (grid, tech, tower, etc.). The access roads on grass that intersect that paved road are all muddy quagmires that street and race cars are getting stuck in routinely. It’s a team effort and everyone pitches in and pushes when needed. The track has arranged for a wrecker so big it can haul an 18 wheeler to be on site in case anyone needs it.

All this rain has lead to legions of BFAs, FCYs and shortened sessions. G1 (FP, HP, GTL, BSpec) sat on the grid today for 35 minutes while a T2 Bimmer was extracted from the other side of a tire wall. It was dry while we waited....but it started raining in the 5 minute warning was sounded.

Delays from incidents cause the schedule to be rearranged a couple of times. Unfortunately, those of us in BFE (grass) had no idea since the PA is less than effective. Emails were sent but not everyone got all the memos.

All that said, let’s hope the SCCA staff takes home some valuable lessons from this weekend and incorporates this knowledge for the Runoffs.

Everyone’s best effort will all be for naught if it’s like this come October.

Dayle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:02 am 

This was a "stress test" for the Runoffs.

While I didn't get to race because of a failed Electromotive ECU I was there from Wed to Fri trying to fix the car.

"Mother nature" came down hard on the event which is out of everyone's control.....but there were a lot of things that were controllable by both VIR and SCCA . Despite the best efforts of certain people there are a lot of improvements that will need to be made ,beginning right at the entrance with directions that went something like "make a right and someone down there will help you". "Down there" happened to be a dead end so I got to back up my rig about 50-100 yds in order to make a left and eventually find "test day registration".

There are numerous other things and I'll be writing a letter.

If you've ever watched "Bar rescue" that's what we need. A John Taffer type who will kick ass and take names and do a "Runoffs Rescue".

Tom B.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:32 pm 

They're going to have to apply several tons of gravel to the alleys dividing the parking zones of the grass paddock, for sure - if there is any rain in October it'll be a quagmire again. Grass probably won't even grow back by then.
I paid the big $$ to park on the asphalt, then had to rent a 10' Uhaul truck to tow my rig when my tow car blew a head gasket. Towed pretty well -
PS: Don't stay at the Astoria Motel in Danville unless you really like bugs -- the kind that bite.

Was so glad Sunday was dry -

#27 H Prod Midget
WDC Region

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:41 pm 

Attachment:
VIR mud 1.jpg
VIR mud 1.jpg [ 512.55 KiB | Viewed 455 times ]

Here is the paddock aisle near where I was parked, this was typical, some areas had deeper, softer mud. Had to use 4WD to get the truck out of the paddock. Saw several truck that had to be towed out. We left immediately after group 1 on Sunday.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:27 am 

The Region had warned the track that if it rained, the upper area would be what it ended up being. The track did not want to bring in gravel. Now, they have seen what will happen in October. All the National staff including the Chief Steward were there and they too saw it. Sorry some of you had to be the examples.

All in all, North Carolina Region gets an A for their planning and execution of the event. This was the biggest Majors in history and without all their work, it could have been much, much worse. Not sure how anyone got lost since there was signs clearly pointing to registration, parking, etc. Some of us were there on Tuesday laying out everything. We had 20 people involved in just parking rigs and started at 7 AM on Wednesday. Registration and tech opened at noon on Wednesday. The fee to park on the pavement offset the tracks normal camping fee and fee to hook up to electric.

Remember, the Region did this event and the National office will do the Runoffs. Much was learned and a lot of things are already being planned for October.

A big thanks to NCR for their hard work especially their Regional Executive, Sam Fouse. He assembled a great team.

V8 Road Racing Series Administrator
Runoffs Line Chief Tech Prod cars

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:46 am 

The event was great, outside of the trouble the weather caused, which is no ones fault. I showed up at ~8pm on Thursday night, didn't have to wait AT ALL at the front gate, to be parked, to get through registration, or to get through tech. Tons of people willing to help, everywhere. That's amazing, given the number of entrants. The Friday and Saturday night parties in The Gallery were pretty good too. I didn't get charged any sort of a camping fee or whatever with my RV, but did get hounded in the north paddock by VIR staff about needing a $30 sticker for my golf cart. At least that's good for the whole year, so I won't get bugged about it at The Runoffs.

ruckracing honda's:
'15 & '10 Runoffs FP Champion
'10, '09, & '08 ARRC ITA/ITB Champion

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:42 am 

That $30 was the winner tax.
Nice driving.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:54 pm 

FP Racer wrote:
The Region had warned the track that if it rained, the upper area would be what it ended up being. The track did not want to bring in gravel. Now, they have seen what will happen in October. All the National staff including the Chief Steward were there and they too saw it. Sorry some of you had to be the examples.

All in all, North Carolina Region gets an A for their planning and execution of the event. This was the biggest Majors in history and without all their work, it could have been much, much worse. Not sure how anyone got lost since there was signs clearly pointing to registration, parking, etc. Some of us were there on Tuesday laying out everything. We had 20 people involved in just parking rigs and started at 7 AM on Wednesday. Registration and tech opened at noon on Wednesday. The fee to park on the pavement offset the tracks normal camping fee and fee to hook up to electric.

Remember, the Region did this event and the National office will do the Runoffs. Much was learned and a lot of things are already being planned for October.

A big thanks to NCR for their hard work especially their Regional Executive, Sam Fouse. He assembled a great team.

I agree that the event overall was run very well. Registration, tech, grid (especially grid), were very efficient, and the email communication was very helpful.