prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:47 pm 

First few laps of my short race at Sonoma.... Started 7th in HP... car felt good...but developed an electrical glitch and shut off ignition. Had fun while it lasted..,, Good seeing everybody...Try again next year..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REVpZPj_-Lc&t=2s

P.S. ..pretty amazing Greg Gauper could drive his Honda at all with the shock tower sticking through his hood....let alone go as fast as he did while bringing it home.....wow..

Neil
#83 HP MGB

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:54 pm 

Thanks for all the responses everyone. When they let me off suicide watch I’ll come back.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:44 pm 

The other aspect of that last qualifying session where the racing gods looked down favorably at us was that the throttle cable on the Midget "broke" on the cool off lap. Had it happened a minute before, no pole position. Had it waited for the race, no finish. That was just plain lucky.

For the HP race the pole sitter has option to pick which side to start. Evidently I picked the wrong side. Not sure it mattered based on the torque of the Yaris, but I would probably try the other side if there was a "next time". The theory was that if I could keep a fender inside into T2, I might be able to squeeze by. Jason pulled a gap pretty quickly, but the hope was that the heavy FWD would wear out his tires. About mid way the gap started to close and then a few mistakes (see picture). I told myself to be patient, but then coming out of T-10 I had a good run and peaked inside for T-11. Jason reacted, I got some wheel hop and spun. Oops. Still had a shot but got wheel hop in a few more places and backed off. I should've dialed in more front brake but didn't think of it at the time. Jason tried to give it away by driving off in T-10 but still was putting down some pretty quick laps.

In the FP race I botched the start, focusing on one thing and missing my shift. Dropped from 2nd to 6th rather quickly. Surprisingly I was able to get back by Inness in his BMW, Charlie and Craig on that first lap but Huffaker and the Volvo set sail. I was trying my best but something felt different. Maybe it was that we had really only done 3 lap runs in qualifying, but it didn't seem like we had a set-up that was going to take me to the finish. Chima was faster and I didn't put up much of a fight for him or Charlie. The car was a handful during the race. After the race the RF tire was visibly low on pressure and flat within 10 min. We had a front lose air suddenly during the test, but after the session the same tire/wheel combo held pressure. So it wasn't the tire, but likely some part of the 3-piece wheel that allowed air to exit. Not sure when the tire lost air or if it was related to my handling issues.

Huge thanks to Steve Hussey for letting me drive his car as well as all of the support. Thanks to David and Cat Kizer, Noel Hayward, Tim Connors and Marc Nichols for making sure the cars were ready to go every session.

Hope to get to the videos soon, although I only will be able to post the Midget versions.

Great to see some new faces, Riley and family, as well as the return of Craig Chima. Glad I could offer my 2¢ to Greg and Mike Miller on how to drive the track. Chima walked the track with me - he would've probably found the speed on his own however.

Brian

Attachments:
Yaris 4 wheels off Runoffs 2018.jpg
Yaris 4 wheels off Runoffs 2018.jpg [ 215.07 KiB | Viewed 944 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:05 am 

blamkin86 wrote:
Thanks for all the responses everyone. When they let me off suicide watch I’ll come back.

I think I'd ride it out - at least through Road America 2020.

#38 EP BMW

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:40 pm 

On the FP grid at Sonoma
Attachment:
DSC_0115 (2000x1269).jpg
DSC_0115 (2000x1269).jpg [ 1.68 MiB | Viewed 582 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:10 pm 

Brian, I feel the need to ask, why would anyone wear a neck collar? Yes, I see the HANS.

David Dewhurst
CenDiv Milwaukee Region
F Prod #14

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:25 pm 

Maybe he was cold??

Maybe he knows you can never be too safe??

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:57 pm 

David Dewhurst wrote:
Brian, I feel the need to ask, why would anyone wear a neck collar? Yes, I see the HANS.

I wonder the same thing, but we'll have to ask Mr. Huffaker about that. Maybe it was the key to winning.

Here is my video: https://youtu.be/d-iv1lIRe5c

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:44 pm 

If I went as fast through the corners as Joe does I would need some extra neck support too!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:15 pm 

The HP grid at Sonoma. Sorry it took awhile to post these here.
Attachment:
DSC_0050 (1100x734).jpg
DSC_0050 (1100x734).jpg [ 1.01 MiB | Viewed 508 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next