prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:24 am 

According to Joe's daughter, Troy went into the wall at Turn 11 and bounced back out onto the track, unfortunately collecting Joe. The damage for Joe was obviously just cosmetic, as he was back out in FP turning practically the same lap time, but Troy's damage was severe enough that he's left the facility with the car for repairs.

ruckracing honda's:
'15 & '10 Runoffs FP Champion
'10, '09, & '08 ARRC ITA/ITB Champion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:56 am 

Borrowed parts from Ian Barberi in Stu and somehow made the grid with 1 to go. Mainly it was don tucker, Phil Harris and Webber manning helping me wrench on the thing and get out.

Go held in impound for almost 90 minutes with no explanation.

Somehow I had clear track, drove way better but managed to go slower. There seems to be 3 groups of drivers: two miatas, group of known good drivers, and the rest of the soup.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:12 pm 

A comment from the dark side which may or may not be of value from Danny Steyn of SM & STL.

Johnny - very technical, nuanced and ballsy - need to go slow to go fast - the opposite of my natural style - complained to Fowler that my car wouldn't turn like the local's cars through T2, would just wash out, and my rear wheels would spin. WELL DUH - when you are in the air, there is no grip up front and the rear wheels spin. Slow it down and it works, just like the local's!!!!

David Dewhurst
CenDiv Milwaukee Region
F Prod #14

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:37 pm 

Ron Bartell wrote:
No one is interested in how Brian Linn can qualify in both H and F in the same session? What is going on out there? Let's here some talk. It is the Runoffs even though there is a 2 second gap between 2nd and 3rd in H.

Here's my deal...I was lucky enough that Steve Hussey let me drive his rebuilt Lotus in FP. I wasn't going to try to do the double with the one car, changing engines with only 3 days of qualifying, and our sessions combined. We practiced the car exchange and worked with SCCA on a plan to do it on pit lane. According to my video from yesterday, it took less than 50 sec from the time I stopped the Lotus, hopped out, buckled in the Midget and started moving. Lots of help from Steve Hussey and Tim Connors to get me buckled in, David Kizer and Marc Nichols to do temps and pressures on the Lotus. Of course they also are all doing incredible work to get these cars ready for each of the session. I'm so fortunate to have this kind of help.

Who doubted that Joe would be the fastest here in FP? Me neither.
I am surprised by the speed of the Yaris. It was that fast in the summer, nor would I expect it to be on this type of track. Obviously Jason knows how to hustle it and it has Prather power. Good job by both.

One more day of qualifying...

Lots of thanks to some people that have been very considerate during the test days and qualifying. I really appreciate the help - Gordon Jones, Neil Verity, Bill Lampkin and probably some others that I may have forgotten.

Brian

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:07 am 

Thanks Brian. That splains it. You must have some serious help making the change in 50 seconds. I assume that you will run the Lotus in F and not the Midget with the F motor. That really is a good deal. Instead of multiple engine swaps and sessions with no times, you have NO engine swaps and times in both classes for all sessions.

One more question: Is Flemings car being used by anyone?

#4 HP Midget
HP National Champion

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:00 am 

Made it out for qualifying yesterday. Had been chasing electrical gremlins since I arrived Sunday. The wiring harness was next winters planned upgrade but it had to ram it home that a 30 year old hacked oem harness doesn’t cut it. Was smoking the track due to a breather issue I had earlier in the year that I thought I’d fixed. Knew what it was and knew I wasn’t actually leaking so I kept going to get a solid lap in before they gave me the meatball. I’ll revert the breather setup to how it was in June and we’ll be back out today to take a little off the qual time. No 47’s though. Just when you think you’re getting to pace the top guys move the needle. Guess I’m born a 5s back guy.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:14 am 

Started the day with a fog delay, and by the time it had cleared, the entire facility had completely lost power. Finally started qualifying sessions two hours late, and only because they were running Timing & Scoring off of a generator. The facility still doesn't have power, and all sessions have been shortened by five minutes.

ruckracing honda's:
'15 & '10 Runoffs FP Champion
'10, '09, & '08 ARRC ITA/ITB Champion

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:33 am 

Comments from an out-of-towner...
Wow! What a track. As others have stated, TV and video do not convey how much elevation change there is.
It's Mid-Ohio on crack. I think this track is more fun than Laguna, which I also enjoyed.
Did the track walk on Monday and carried a metal detector to try and find the rails that Linn was using thru turns 1 & 2 but no such luck :)
Regarding the speed trap, it's near the high speed kink. I think it is easier for the H cars to go thru there with a slight lift or breath on the throttle. I could see how it would be very easy for the E cars to over-slow for the kink and result in a slower trap speed. IMHO the kink here is scarier than the kink at Road America. I did manage to suck it up for one lap to get into the 100 MPH club yesterday.

Don't think I have anything Jason or Brian but it's not from lack of trying. Hope to improve in the last session and hope I get a clean lap with the sessions being shortened due to a power outage.

Pretty cool meeting Cat Kizer at the Prod party last night!

And FYI to Tom Feller, I think you would have been very competitive at this track with your Spitfire.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:14 pm 

Thanks Greg, looks like a really fun track. Wish we were there.

Have fun, stay safe!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:38 pm 

Comment about staying in impound for 90 minutes with no comment.

All cars must be cleared before we can release. If a driver has a problem, we deal with him/her. We are short staffed so we try to deal with problems the fastest we can. Of course, we don't have anything to do with a car who fails weight or fails fuel. Those are written up by fuel or weight folks and stewards deal with it. So, no explanation meant you had no problem.

So far, most problems have been fuel, then weight and then track. We've seen some things that need to be fixed and advised.

FP & HP on track now

Good luck to all.

V8 Road Racing Series Administrator
Runoffs Line Chief Tech Prod cars

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next