prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:26 pm 

David Dewhurst wrote:
During the time of the Malley Honda (don't remember if Adam paid consequences) I was first starting to spectate road racing. Then came the Meller Honda, National Championships for Meller/Mosier/Loshak, consequences were paid. As I watched the Sonoma H race the Yaris seemed to pass at will, not so for the LBC. Not sour grapes, just observations. :mrgreen:

Pretty sure Adam paid BIG consequences.

He has in-car up from 1999. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUpB4io3k3k&t=1083s . Judge for yourself...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:15 pm 

Video of my run from 6th to 8th to 3rd to 4th is up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOxdzoPdfIM

Riley has his video posted as well...man that was a wicked slide off in the carousel!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:18 pm 

David Dewhurst wrote:
During the time of the Malley Honda (don't remember if Adam paid consequences)
Not sure if Adam paid consequences? Really?? Let me give you a history lesson and maybe explain why some of us dinosaurs who have been around for a while are so jaded about yet another car that seems to have some level of dominance:

The Honda with the 1320 CC motor came on the scene much the same as Jason did with the Yaris. A multitime National Champion in Solo II who came up to road racing with a car that was very different from everything currently being raced in H. The Comp Board brought it in at a weight and spec level that they thought was appropriate. Adam showed immediate competitiveness and in the rain was 4 seconds a lap faster than the field in a Runoffs qualifying session that didn't count.

However, he never turned a good time in dry qualifying. During the Runoffs race he would start from the second or third row and run down the leaders, putting pressure on them in increasing levels until they usually spun trying to keep him behind. He got the biggest lead trophy the first year he attended the Runoffs. After that he knew enough to only go as fast as he needed to win. He got increasing levels of handicaps until during his last race in H, he had to show his hand near the end of the race on the main straight at Mid Ohio when Tom Feller was able to get around him when he bobbled in the keyhole. In one straightaway he went from three car-lengths back to two car lengths ahead, and after that he was bounced to G production. That was AFTER he won his fourth Runoffs. IIRC he had a total of 325 lbs and one venturi size added and taken away from his car before being bumped to G. Can you imagine how easy it was for him to win those first few Runoffs with that kind of an avantage before they cought on.

So, I am not saying in any way that Jason and the Yaris are in the same mold as Adam Malley, but please be aware of what some of us have had to live with while the CRB decides what to do with a dominant car. And by the way, in Adam's in-car he inserts a comment about what a missed shift looks like. Well, for those of us who know what a missed shift looks like in an 18:1 948 cc H car, it looks like a blown motor. What you will see in that video is a Spridget pedaling as fast as he can while a car with a lot more torque reels him in down the straight. That was a tough one to lose because I had 11 seconds and a full straightaway lead on the second place car, Bob Weber, before the FCY.

#4 HP Midget
HP National Champion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:21 pm 

To add to what Ron just said, I was on the Prod Ad Hoc Committee then. A regional competitor called me and asked me to watch Adam at a Road Atlanta. The HP guy had just been blown away by Adam and could not believe the car was in HP. So, I watched Adam walk away from a competitive HP field at Road Atlanta with no trouble at the National. I immediately wrote a letter to the CRB telling them that the Honda was classified incorrectly and was at least a GP car and maybe even a FP car. Of course, the answer was the car was classified correctly. This went on for several years and I was finally removed from the Ad Hoc because I kept bringing up the Honda.

Was I right and they wrong. Damn straight!

V8 Road Racing Series Administrator
Runoffs Line Chief Tech Prod cars

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:08 pm 

Jason@SportsCar wrote:
Ron Bartell wrote:
Nice video Brian. Unfortunately the race was over 50 feet after the starting line. You must have gotten one of those "bad starts" that I am always being accused of. Apparently you didn't see the green flag from the front row.

You both drove really well (except for that little spin thing on your part), but I always think it is interesting that when you get up beside him, and he has four wheels in the dirt, he still manages to out-drag you to the next corner. How does that happen?

I can't say that Jason didn't deserve to win, because he did, but if this was supposed to be a Spridget track, and you have one of the best, what happens when the Runoffs moves to a track that favors the tin-tops?

Armchair racing the Runoffs is almost as much fun as the actual race - no surprise considering games like fantasy football are a billion dollar industry.

Based on how qualifying played out the start of the race went pretty much as I think anyone would have expected... My car could run its fastest lap right out of the gate, it seemed to take 4-5 laps for Brian's car to get up to speed. Perhaps the only surprise was Brian giving up the shorter run up to Turn 2 by taking the outside. Right about the time Brian got going (and was easily catching me) we were into traffic, and rear wheel hop seemed to be his undoing.

Got to wonder how things would have gone with a little less rear brake bias in that LBC? I recall one finishing on the podium at Indy with only one rear brake. ;)
What if Fleming would have made the race and the front row at the start would have been a pair of LBCs? Based on how the starts went in June behind the pair of them it would have been a very different race.
What if Greg had four shocks actually attached to his car?
What if that LBC that had run off and disappeared at Mid-Ohio before it broke a rocker came out to Sonoma?
What if Mid-Ohio had a one to go flag?
What if...

I know Ron likes to think my car is a rocket, but once again the data doesn't agree with him. Brian and I qual a tenth apart, and race two tenths apart. And as has been the case every year since the Yaris came out it didn't crack the top three in trap speed.

As for VIR, I expect the winner wont be from Calif. If I am there it will be in a different car/class. Brian expressed he was going to take a break. I expect an epic VW vs. Datsun battle.

Only questionable fact is topspeed...That data point is worthless. Those readings were all over the place depending on how hard you entered 9-10. My best topspeed was 110 by both of my data boxes but 106 at the trap.. best i can figure is I was slowing at the trap for 10....one can only guess that the little yaris tank does not get through 10 as fast as an LBC..

Joe Harlan Member #175515

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:19 am 

The early CRX is still too fast .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHfwlvnBdi4
Here is Funk running right about a second over lap record, rolling over Ron and should have rolled by Ogren except for poor shifting and sliding the clutch .

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:26 am 

Congrats Jason. Definitely getting all you can out of that Yaris.

Cool vid Brian, sorry to see the spin! Nice driving.

:applause:

Ron, I think the old Honda is a 1237cc if I recall correctly. Full prep 1237. It was fast as balls.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:46 am 

Jason@SportsCar wrote:
VWRalf wrote:

Wouldn't be that hard to build another. Pretty sure just the chassis has to go to the crusher. The rest of the car can be transferred to a new chassis and those can be found pretty cheap. Could also be a good article for the magazine Jason. "Salvage to Champion." :twisted:
https://www.copart.com/vehicleFinderSea ... 22:null%7D

Been watching copart for appropriate chassis, but that wont happen in 2019.

Jason, I'm happy to help if you find something in Houston. there's a large copart here in town. have trailer and storage space.

STU Nissan 240SX

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:36 am 

Protech Racing wrote:
Here is Funk running right about a second over lap record, rolling over Ron and should have rolled by Ogren except for poor shifting and sliding the clutch .

2 year old video?

Joe Harlan Member #175515

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:27 am 

Joe Harlan wrote:
Protech Racing wrote:

2 year old video?

Yup, 2 year old video. Ron didn’t have 3rd gear that day, if memory serves. Her shifting problem was traced to a bearing cage that came adrift and was fouling the 4-5 and 5-4 shift. Ogren was faster that day, first weekend at the track.....so who needs less power or more weight? Think Mike still has his panties in a bunch because they got taken off the top step for “working” on the car during a BFA. By the way it has been implied in the past by a well known LBC driver that it was Steph’s first weekend at WGI.....nope probably 20th weekend.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next