prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:11 pm 

FP Racer wrote:
For some reason, there was a rumor going around that a lot of GT1 cars had had tire failures on the banking. No one could name a name but I heard it constantly from the GT1 drivers.

Personally, I think the Runoffs should return to Daytona. I believe a lot of drivers who did attend were pleasantly surprised at how good the racing was. I know everyone was pleased with the facility including parking. There were big paved areas not used and almost no one complained about the room they had.

And many people said what nice hotel rooms they got for such a reasonable price.

By far my favorite Runoffs experience - less tech - was Daytona. First time we have had a Runoffs that we could turn into a family vacation. Great destination, very affordable, just a bitch of a tow.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:52 pm 

Jason, what the heck did I do to you in tech at Daytona? If I recall correctly, you were one of the few I didn't protest. Did I make you take the transmission apart? Someone brought that one up during the 2015 season so it seemed it was wanted. Kind of like all the talk this year about cc'ing everyone's heads in limited prep instead of using the whistler. Anyhow, since I'm flying out, I won't have my trusty whistler so I'll have to figure out another way.

V8 Road Racing Series Administrator
Runoffs Line Chief Tech Prod cars

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:26 pm 

FP Racer wrote:
Jason, what the heck did I do to you in tech at Daytona? If I recall correctly, you were one of the few I didn't protest. Did I make you take the transmission apart? Someone brought that one up during the 2015 season so it seemed it was wanted. Kind of like all the talk this year about cc'ing everyone's heads in limited prep instead of using the whistler. Anyhow, since I'm flying out, I won't have my trusty whistler so I'll have to figure out another way.

It was the 24 hours in tech.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:36 pm 

Not my fault. The stewards say when we can release. I believe it had to do with the fancy finish you guys decided to do. Cars going backwards across the finish line even make the NASCAR highlights.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:25 am 

Thanks Jim. I run several SARRC races a year. Will probably run more.
The early days of the run offs (Called the ARRC) alternated between Riverside and Daytona so not to favor one end of the country or the other. Then Road Atlanta was built & blew everyone's mind (Mine included) so the ARRC stuck there for 20-something? years. As there's no more Lakeland, Daytona has to be my home track as it's closest. Maybe not as technically challenging as other tracks (They could add another "Bus Stop" chicane) but it's still a challenge as it takes a different kind of setup to do well in your class. Early 70's didn't have the back straight chicane but I saw more rev's in a 950 on that down hill straight at Road Atlanta than over the tunnels at Daytona.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:19 am 

We had great event @ Daytona and met the nicest people @ impound.. Jason had his car so far apart I thought it was an SM . At the same time we want strict( but reasonable ) rules enforcement at this level.
FWIW many of the brake duct retainers as well as the face of the duct , hit the plumb bob and that is OK by me. :)

While there was plenty of pavement at the East end , the non payers had to paddock on the grass on the west end.
A fun event no less . Daytona is kinda a one and done track with the 24hr configuration.IMHO.
The Alternate track that uses the first horeshoe and turn 90 * left at the kink coming up onto the track at the bustop is very nice also and racier.

The track personnel have gotten much nicer .

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:22 am 

[quote="Protech Racing"]We had great event @ Daytona and met the nicest people @ impound.. Jason had his car so far apart I thought it was an SM . At the same time we want strict( but reasonable ) rules enforcement at this level.
FWIW many of the brake duct retainers as well as the face of the duct , hit the plumb bob and that is OK by me. :)

Jason's car was apart to the same degree as the others. He's just spread out more.

And your point about the plumb bob hitting the brake ducts is??

I was finished with my part of impound on all cars in less than the four hours listed in supps for post race inspection. As I said, the finish seemed to be a problem to one or more drivers.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:01 am 

My plumb bob comment was to point out the reasonable interpertations of the rule .
Thanks for that.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:53 am 

Protech Racing wrote:
My plumb bob comment was to point out the reasonable interpertations of the rule . Thanks for that.

Brake duct rule uses the word "must" within the rule. Must is per rule 1.2.3.A. mandatory. Same as if there is a bore diameter specified as a maximum number. There is no wiggle room beyoun that maximum number. Same with the spoiler/air dam rule the word "shall" is used, no wiggle room. No interpertation, bring it to the line and stop. When we each do our own interpertation of a rule, where does it stop and isan't that how the rules came about to begin with, people stretching the rubber band. Go back to the brake duct thread and read the Al S. interpretation of the rule. Sorry Al.

David Dewhurst
CenDiv Milwaukee Region
F Prod #14

Last edited by David Dewhurst on Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:53 am 

FP Racer wrote:
Not my fault. The stewards say when we can release. I believe it had to do with the fancy finish you guys decided to do. Cars going backwards across the finish line even make the NASCAR highlights.

Wasn't pointing the finger in your direction, just sharing the only part of Daytona I did not enjoy.

I understand a lot of things stacked up to give us those 24 hours... The "big one" at the finish, first year of limited prep open rods (so they were checked), and a new computer system that was supposed to interface between tech and the bosses - and I think the computer system was the only part of the process that did not work.

But hey, I got to pay you back in Indy by keeping you up way past your bedtime. :lol: