prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:09 am 

blamkin86 wrote:
Hoping Brian or someone involved will be chiming in :)

I did hear that Jon Longwell had an off that involved flying through the air.

Catching up after taking two days off of work to go racing. Hopefully I can get my video edited down and online tonight. From what I know, Ermish and Huffaker (started 3rd and 4th OA) had contact in T-2, lap 1. I started 9th with Lee Fleming in 11th. Huffaker was spun around from the contact. I hear frequently how hard my car is to see in the mirrors of bigger cars. The flip side of that is that I can't see around bigger cars. As I was following Tony Jimerson up into the turn I could see that something was happening and everyone checked up a bit. At the last second Jimerson dives to the right to reveal a sideways Mini with a 77 on the door, which I promptly T-bone. It was a hard hit. Then there was a pause and I get nailed in the back (harder than the original hit) which pushes me back into Huffaker. I'm told that Fleming stopped short of me but then Jason got into the back of him, which pushed him into me.

Bad chain reaction, but probably "one of those racing deals". Lots of damage to the Mini, my car and Fleming's. Ermish's door was pushed in due to secondary contact with Huffaker. Inness Eisele in his FP BMW caught his tire on something in the crash, giving him a lot of toe out and ending his race early.

Not sure what exactly happened to Longwell, but did hear he did some sort of Dukes of Hazzard reenactment. Saw his car, sans a wheel, on the flat bed as I was leaving the track.
S happens, but it sucks. Onward and upward.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:16 am 

The ugly start to Sunday's SCCA Majors Tour feature race at Sonoma:

https://youtu.be/0gs_py2oXgI

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:38 am 

All I can say is; that really sucks for you guys involved in the incident. I am hoping it goes much better for the Runoffs.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:12 pm 

damn. :(

STU Nissan 240SX

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:44 pm 

Anyone see this?

https://www.facebook.com/SpecDrama/videos/408223606351340/

V8 Road Racing Series Administrator
Runoffs Line Chief Tech Prod cars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:52 pm 

Multiple operator errors on that one.

STU Nissan 240SX

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:06 pm 

BLinn wrote:
Catching up after taking two days off of work to go racing. Hopefully I can get my video edited down and online tonight. From what I know, Ermish and Huffaker (started 3rd and 4th OA) had contact in T-2, lap 1. I started 9th with Lee Fleming in 11th. Huffaker was spun around from the contact. I hear frequently how hard my car is to see in the mirrors of bigger cars. The flip side of that is that I can't see around bigger cars. As I was following Tony Jimerson up into the turn I could see that something was happening and everyone checked up a bit. At the last second Jimerson dives to the right to reveal a sideways Mini with a 77 on the door, which I promptly T-bone. It was a hard hit. Then there was a pause and I get nailed in the back (harder than the original hit) which pushes me back into Huffaker. I'm told that Fleming stopped short of me but then Jason got into the back of him, which pushed him into me.

Bad chain reaction, but probably "one of those racing deals". Lots of damage to the Mini, my car and Fleming's. Ermish's door was pushed in due to secondary contact with Huffaker. Inness Eisele in his FP BMW caught his tire on something in the crash, giving him a lot of toe out and ending his race early.

Not sure what exactly happened to Longwell, but did hear he did some sort of Dukes of Hazzard reenactment. Saw his car, sans a wheel, on the flat bed as I was leaving the track.
S happens, but it sucks. Onward and upward.

Watching my video I see what Inness caught his right rear on, it was Fleming, he took out his left rear corner right before I arrived on the scene.

There were tire marks at the top of Turn 6 that headed right for a berm on the inside. Word I got from my spotter was Longwell went about 6' in the air, was sideways, and then landed and went backwards down the hill. Super scary thing, as I watch my video I see a person (I assume a photographer) standing near that spot where it looked like Longwell launched - no idea if he was there when Longwell's off happened.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:39 pm 

Wow, there was a guy standing at the top of the hill when Longwell went off. :shock:

https://youtu.be/GE4VCm8OgTw

There is a lot of dust as I enter Turn 5, and then I see skid marks at the top of the hill. Off to the left there are marks in the grass and even more dust. You can just make out the guy standing next to the fence, and see Longwell back down the backside of the hill.

No idea what happened... But based on all dust in Turn 5 I wonder if Longwell dipped a tire inside and that tossed him off at the entry to Turn 6. Looked like a hell of a scary ride. Hope he is ok.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:51 pm 

Jason@SportsCar wrote:
Looked like a hell of a scary ride. Hope he is ok.

I got a text from someone right after the race was over; I was told Jon was ok.

Car looks like it nosed into something - maybe the ground. Not too much external damage, but it looks like the front subframe or unibody took a lot of damage.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:46 pm 

I didn't mean to make light of John's accident and glad to hear he is OK.

Here is my short video: https://youtu.be/lCDycw6k7sQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next